cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

Message 106 of 1,018
latest reply

I don't have time to read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this new description window prevents buyers from seeing all the other categories I have and the store listing frame I use on my item pages. I have special pages for returns, informative articles, and a custom home page all in the custom header. Now no one can see that without clicking the item description. No one can tell from this new set up if the seller is actually selling anything else at a glance. You have to work for it.

I find the left menu of categories very useful when looking at items. Sometimes I see a category I didn't even consider, and that encourages me to buy more. Now it's a one-shot deal if you're just browsing. A casual buyer won't click every 'see full item description' link. I know I won't. Who knows how many sales we'll miss because all our other categories are now hidden.

Total and complete muck up. Hubby says it sounds like trained monkeys are running the site. He's just a buyer, and he doesn't like the new set up.

Message 107 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

Yep, the ebay way. See how many buyers and sales we lose before admin makes a decision. This site is tanking, and I'm 100% convinced that was the plan all along. Ruin ebay so PayPal could be peeled off on its own, Bain SOP. Congrats, boys, it worked.

Message 108 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

This is the very opposite of simplification! How does making the buyer do more work make it a better experience? Then if they miss the very hard to see button all together and later find an issue that was fully disclosed in the description they never saw, whose fault is that? And how will that improve their buying experience?

Keep it simple for the buyers! That is the key!! And please stop experimenting with our listings that we pay for and for many of us pay our bills! We are not lab rats. 

……………………………………………………………
Message 109 of 1,018
latest reply

How in the world can hiding the description be a benefit? IT CAN"T. Seems like a well calculated move to me. The sky is falling...again. What a joke.

Message 110 of 1,018
latest reply

Because Buyers don't read listings then complain and want their money back. Heck I sold a couple coupons with pictures of the coupon and they didn't look at the pictures either. Said they were buying an $800.00 Generator for $30 something with free Freight shipping when it was a coupon to save a couple hundred to buy one. The listing had Coupon in the title all over the description in red bold enlarged print. They were mad at me that is was not the real thing and wanted me to send them the real thing or a refund after the listing said no refunds on coupons. I don't know how they even knew what they bought?

Message 111 of 1,018
latest reply

Because Buyers don't read listings then complain and want their money back. Heck I sold a couple coupons with pictures of the coupon and they didn't look at the pictures either. Said they were buying an $800.00 Generator for $30 something with free Freight shipping when it was a coupon to save a couple hundred to buy one. The listing had Coupon in the title all over the description in red bold enlarged print. They were mad at me that is was not the real thing and wanted me to send them the real thing or a refund after the listing said no refunds on coupons. I don't know how they even knew what they bought?

Message 112 of 1,018
latest reply

OMG, who is the IDIOT that came up with this?

OK, I may be a newbie to Erroneousbay selling however, I'm NOT new to online buying.

There is very few things that make me insanely postal than having to constantly click links on pages which are filled with absolute garbage other than the information I am seeking and I'm not going to sit there constantly clicking no matter how low the price. In a world where making a penny is becoming harder and harder, there is nothing more irritating than being pushed aside to make room for advertisers making money for Erroneousbay, while making my ability to make a penny more difficult. This isn't customer service. This is pushing customers away to another more user friendly site. Hell, even when I"m out at brick and mortar stores, if I have to go through hoops to get what I'm looking for I walk out the door. Online sales is SUPPOSED to be simpler, NOT more troublesome for buyers.

I know there are savy people out there and it's time someone gave these rocket scientists, NOT, a run for their advertising dollar.

I HATE IT!    I HATE IT!    OPT OUT!    OPT OUT!

Message 113 of 1,018
latest reply

@all*about*horses wrote:
I'm still seeing the listings in the "normal" view but I remember seeing this format very briefly maybe a year ago.

Does the pop-up open in a new page or actually a pop-up? Reason for asking: what happens if the person viewing the listing has a pop-up blocker? Will it still open or does it get blocked?

It opens as an overlay, not a real window or tab. Pop-up blockers have no effect on it.

I really despise the new set-up and have used the "tell us what you think" link on every listing I've viewed. Very inconvenient and inefficient from a buying point of view. 

Browsers have built in pop-up blockers for a reason - people HATE pop-ups!  Who at eBay thought this was a good idea? I just can't imagine...

Smiley Sad

Message 114 of 1,018
latest reply

And what if the user isn't ON a "mobile device" and has a popup blocker installed? What then?

You DO realize a laptop using wifi isn't actually a "mobile device, right?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 115 of 1,018
latest reply

I did not read past the first couple pages and/or when the blue came in.  Checked a couple random listings for things I sometimes buy so I could see what the fuss was all about.  Are they out of their minds??!!  I suggest that as everyone checks this madness out that they do at least one "tell us what you think" since they so conveniently located that button next to the lack-of-description.  Hard enough to get buyers to read the descriptions when they are there and to hide them is crazy!

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 116 of 1,018
latest reply

How long is this test going to last? 

Will it be the new norm shortly? 

Message 117 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

From a buyer's point of view, I HATE IT! 

Buyers DO NOT like this experience.

As I've already posted, browsers have built in pop-up blockers for a reason - people HATE pop-ups!  Who at eBay thought this was a good idea? It's inefficient and inconvenient. And those are the kindest words I can use.

Please, please don't do this to the computer version of the site. 

Now, how do I opt-out??

Message 118 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

You mean the same app that show Free Shipping on listings with shipping charged? The app that does't show any relevant info until you click stupid buttons? The app that has BID/BIN without requiring the user to even CLICK on description or to show more photos?

That app?

In 40+ years of programming everything you can imagine any way possible, this change is the one that would put me over the top where I would recommend firing the entire IT staff from the top down and starting fresh.

I wanted to quote a buyer from the other thread that was started:

Illuminady said:

As a multi-thousand dollar a year buyer, I can also weigh in on this:  BAD IDEA.  I already passed up on several items, thinking the sellers were too lazy to post details of their items.  This is because in the past, an item listed without a description was usually by a (0) feedback seller, if in antiques; or worse, one of those surplus property companies that only puts generic boilerplate in their item descriptions.  Neither are conducive to bidding.  Now, all listings look like this.

So how much business is everyone losing today on top of the business they get where the description wasn't read??

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 120 of 1,018
latest reply