eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
blindguardian
Community Member

Can you really make money off of Ebay as a retailer anyymore??

Just rating..Its more and more hard trying to run a EBay business.. I think Ebay just wants the people who find old things in Aunt Tilly's attic...

There was a time when a retailer could make serious money on EBay, the fees were fair and everything was grand..

Now with the USPS increase (6% percent for packages ) EBay takes 10%, and paypal fees at 3% ..It 's just about impossible to make a profit ... 

I know the Ebay Kool aide drinkers  in here are going to say, well you have to pay rent to EBay and the fees are great and a EBay is great (you get alot of people like that in these forums who have like a feedback of 27 ..you start thinking if they are planted in here)..Ive been with EBay for 14 years and I wish they would just lower there fees a bit... 

What does anyone else do to make it as a retailer on EBay..?? 

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

Re: Can you really make money off of Ebay as a retailer anyymore??

[ Edited ]
in reply to blindguardian

I used to only sell on eBay. When the constant policy changes started happening (a couple of years ago), I began opening up stores on other sites. I also started diversifying my categories (not just here, but on other sites), and listing more multiple-quantity items.

It's not easy to earn a living here. The Golden Years are over. You have to study, adapt, keep on your toes, and look around for other opportunities. Commerce never stands still.

Please use plain text.
cumos55
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

Constantly renewing one's business....

Please use plain text.
mam98031
Community Member

All you have to do is spend a little time on the threads and you would know that sellers that do as you feel -- " I think Ebay just wants the people who find old things in Aunt Tilly's attic"  would strongly disagree with you.  They feel as I've read many times that Ebay favors the retailers by a long shot.

Please use plain text.
jason_incognito
Community Member

If you think eBay is taking too much, try opening a brick and mortar store where you have $4,000 in rent, another $1,000 in utilities, you have payroll, and you have customers walking out the door with your merchandise.

I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
Please use plain text.
ted_200
Community Member

blindguardian wrote:

Just rating..Its more and more hard trying to run a EBay business.. I think Ebay just wants the people who find old things in Aunt Tilly's attic...

There was a time when a retailer could make serious money on EBay, the fees were fair and everything was grand..

Now with the USPS increase (6% percent for packages ) EBay takes 10%, and paypal fees at 3% ..It 's just about impossible to make a profit ... 

I know the Ebay Kool aide drinkers  in here are going to say, well you have to pay rent to EBay and the fees are great and a EBay is great (you get alot of people like that in these forums who have like a feedback of 27 ..you start thinking if they are planted in here)..Ive been with EBay for 14 years and I wish they would just lower there fees a bit... 

What does anyone else do to make it as a retailer on EBay..?? 

I'm not a retailer, but think your post is pretty funny!  Most people here thinks eBay wants to throw Aunt Tilly under the bus, and have NOTHING BUT retailers. 

I think it's a poor model... with gross fees 15% or up, plus shipping costs, mail order for mass market retail has limited potential.  Of course, eBay's really big retailers aren't paying those fee loads, which just further complicates things. Niche and specialty retailing might be another matter, but even there, fees and other issues with eBay are a real problem.

It's an ideal platform for remote bidding mail auction of collectibles, but they seem determined to strangle it... there are only a few categories left where it remains viable. 

Please use plain text.
ted_200
Community Member

in reply to jason_incognito

jason_incognito wrote:

If you think eBay is taking too much, try opening a brick and mortar store where you have $4,000 in rent, another $1,000 in utilities, you have payroll, and you have customers walking out the door with your merchandise.

That is why it is so well suited to low volume specialty and niche... stuff like jewelry supply, for example, is dominated by mail order because local demand simply won't cover rent and utilities.  To be able to reach a worldwide market without the overhead... that works.  The mail order guys on that stuff had really high margins, there was no competition.  But eBay isn't the only platform on the www... small time operators who used to be stuck local and doing the show circuit now have web sites (they used to be on eBay though...).  Sure, the sites are cheezy and don't work right, but I can find the item and price and ph#.  That's how I ordered a $100+ piece of jewelry equipment recently, they beat eBay pricing (and the major mail order guys) by 20%.  As for jewelry parts supply, I won't touch eBay... it's 90% Chinese junk. 

But if you're trying to retail stuff carried by any major B&M, mail order just doesn't cut it, and eBay mail order that is full of hoops and landmines and a 15% add on sure won't cut it - WalMart, Best Buy, and the 99¢ Store are all within 2 miles of the house. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ted_200

that is the only downfall of living in the country. It is 24 miles one way to any walmart, best buy,.99 stores or any bigger  box store for me.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to fuzzface50

I'm just guessing here that you are not able to purchase at wholesale prices because of the small number of listings.

It you do have a retail sales permit and purchase wholesale, they always can give you a better price.

You should be able to purchase 40-60% below retail but there is always a minum purchase requirement.

photo tig02-1.jpg
Teach a man to fish and you've lost a good customer.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fuzzface50

It is 24 miles one way to any walmart, best buy,.99 stores or any bigger  box store for me

I live just outside of NYC.  With traffic and traffic lights and road construction and bridge closings, I bet you can make the 48 mile round trip in about the same time I can make the 6 mile round trip.

Please use plain text.
18704d
Community Member

I know the Ebay Kool aide drinkers  in here are going to say, well you have to pay rent to EBay and the fees are great and a EBay is great (you get alot of people like that in these forums who have like a feedback of 27 ..you start thinking if they are planted in here)"

Posting IDs

Anyone trying to use eBay to be a serious eCommerce seller needs to split buying and selling IDs.

..Ive been with EBay for 14 years and I wish they would just lower there fees a bit... 

It's hard for a small person (mom and pop) to be a successful retailer here.

The most successful "retailers" here are big box stores....

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 18704d

I think if you dont have a direct line to the manufacturer selling new retail products and making money would be tough here. Besides most manufaturers of retail products are already selling here or have a few chosen sellers doing it here for them. Impossible to compete with them. You can try sourcing new products out of China direct but thats a whole nother dangerous ballgame.

For the small seller niche and used items is where its at. There is a huge market for second hand items on ebay but its not easy. I am constantly running out of stuff to sell. I made a decision to open a brick and mortar store locally. Not to sell items but just to buy them. Kind of like a buying station. It will work. I know others personally who do the same thing in other cities. Hopefully no more middle east work for me.

Please use plain text.
echo_and_zip
Community Member

in reply to jason_incognito

If you own the B&M, your POLICIES are YOUR POLICIES.

Too many returns, stealing, etc...

We Will Not Sell To You Anymore

Want to accept returns ?

You inspect, you require receipt, as sold, & a specific time frame.

Want to accept cash ?

No problem.

Don't want to pack or ship & hope it gets there ?

Don't.

Want to take off for a Holiday ?

Close your Store.

There is NO comparison.

Your landlord can't decide to close your store while you're sleeping,

because your customers did not get stuff for free,

... when we finally 'figure it all out'... we die... this way, we are prevented from sharing 'the answers' with 'the rest of the class'...
Please use plain text.
mam98031
Community Member

in reply to 18704d

18704d wrote:

I know the Ebay Kool aide drinkers  in here are going to say, well you have to pay rent to EBay and the fees are great and a EBay is great (you get alot of people like that in these forums who have like a feedback of 27 ..you start thinking if they are planted in here)"

Posting IDs

Anyone trying to use eBay to be a serious eCommerce seller needs to split buying and selling IDs.

..Ive been with EBay for 14 years and I wish they would just lower there fees a bit... 

It's hard for a small person (mom and pop) to be a successful retailer here.

The most successful "retailers" here are big box stores....

Lynn

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.  But just because it is what you believe doesn't make it so.  Or possibly I'm not a successful seller and I just didn't know it.

You re correct, it is very hard for a small seller to make a real go of it on Ebay.  Sellers that do not maintain a store.  And while the big box stores do appear to be doing fine on Ebay that does not mean that all other sellers are not.  If that were true, we wouldn't be here.  Certainly things could and should be better than they are, I completely agree with that.  But it isn't Mom & Pop or Big box stores with nothing in between.  Some of the most successful sellers are in between.

Please use plain text.