eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Answer
warehouse-wireless
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Can't Print labels after Java 51 update?

I updated to Java 7 Update 51 this morning and now can't print anything using ebay or PayPal system.  In the past after java updates there generally was a workaround as there were similar issues with each update.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and determined a suitable workaround?  I can't figure this one out.  I've tried all security levels in java with no luck.  I can't rollback the update like before either.

I receive the same error with IE9, firefox, and safari. If anyone else is experiencing the problem please help.

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 9.32.37 AM.png

Accepted Solutions: 2
Community Member
Answered
in reply to warehouse-wireless

I had the same problem. I have a Mac. I will tell you what I did. Open Settings, go to Java program, In the General Tab click on settings. Then click Delete Files. This will only delete the cache files that you have downloaded(old label files). Then Click OK. Then Click on the Security Tab. Lower the security settings to Medium. Then at the bottom of the same screen click Restore security Prompts. Then reboot your computer. After the reboot go back to ebay and reprint the labels you tried earlier. You will get security prompts. Accept and allow them to run and you will see the printed labels. I think The actual problem is that the Certificates for Paypal and ebay Postage are not up to date with JAva. I am pretty sure there will be another update to one or the other soon. I hope this helps you, and any one else experiencing the problems.

clickprintship
Community Member
Answered

Same problem here. Was able to use an inkjet printer but not my thermal one(DYMO 450). Uninstalled new update and DL an older version of JAVA. Can get the label to load but won't print via thermal printer. Adjusted JAVA security settings from HIGH to MEDIUM and cleared all temporary files in JAVA(as per some other threads people have posted about this same issue) and have not had any luck. Previous threads indicate it has something to do with the certificate via Pitney Bowes. Idk nor care, I just want to be able to print :/

Other Answers: 38
pirates_steel_penguins
Community Member
Answered

Hello everyone, 

I'm not sure if this suggestion was given but here it goes.  I called Paypal on the phone and a lady walked me through a "walk around" that actually got my label to print.  

* I use Windows and my main browser is Google Chrome and I also have Internet Explorer.  Here are the steps that worked for me that didn't take long at all:

1.  Click on your start menu and type in "Java"

2.  When the results load, click Java 32bit under the control panel section.  The Java control panel should pop up on your screen

3.  Under the general tab, click settings under the temporary internet files

4.  On the next window, click delete files

5.  On the next window, select ALL 3 options.  Trace and log files, cashed applications and applets, and installed appications and applets.  Then click ok.

6.  If needed click ok on all remaining windows until they are all gone.

Now as much as I hated to buy yet another label for the same item, I did.  Using Google Chrome, I logged into paypal purchased a new label and the dreaded print screen loaded.  Now when the permission windows pop up, click run/allow.

Now on Google Chrome, the preview did NOT appear.  BUT I clicked on print label for the heck of it and Wa La, the label printed like normal from my Brother QL-500 thermal label printer. Finally!

Now for my own curiosity, I logged out and closed down Chrome and loaded up Internet explorer.  I logged back into paypal and went to manage shipments and click REPRINT LABEL.  Now the not so dreaded print screen loaded and after clicking run/allow through the permissions, the label preview DID show.  

I did this without adjusting the security level in Java.  Mine was still on high when this worked for me.  I just hope it continues to work if/when I sell my next item.

So I hope this info helps, even if I did repeat someone prior tips.

Take care, 

Bill

Community Member
Answered

Here is the only work around as of now.  Go to configure java and then the security tab.  Click edit site list.  Click Add.  You can then enter website exceptions.  Here is what you need to enter.  It will take a while.  You will need to add 40 different sites.  Type https://ibdswebp1-ext.pb.com, then add https://ibdswebp2-ext.pb.com.  You will need to add all the way up to https://ibdswebp40-ext.pb.com.  You cannot replace anything with * as you sometimes can when trying to cover multiple files.  As of yet I have not had any need to go over 40.  When you go to print your label and the error box comes up, check the site it is trying to print from.  If it is 1 through 40, then just check that box that says you are willing to assume risk and print anyway and it will let you print label.  If the site number is higher than 40, you will need go in and add that specific number to the java confirguration settings exception list and then go into Ebay and do a reprint of the label.  This has worked for me.  I spent hours figuring it out and Ebay support was clueless (though they tried very hard to help).

Community Member
Answered

Same here. I try what 2b2d said in windows i went to the control panel and then the java control panel and changed the security to medium and erased the cache.

I clicked to REPRINT on SHIPPING LABELS Site. After replied to all Security questions and Click on RUN.  Although the label didn't appeared on preview as normal, I clicked on PRINT LABEL button anyway, and IT PRINTED on my thermal ZEBRA LP 2844.

Hope this little info will help. 

hellokittysprotools
Community Member
Answered

I had the same problem and I was about to toss a brand new laptop into the crusher!!!!!!!!

Thanks to google, and of course our hero, carbdoc, I was able to print labels at last. Took 4 hrs to figure it all out, but I followed the steps in carbdoc's reply and so far so good. Yes it is a big fat pita, however it does work.

My only question would be what does moving the java security to medium do for all the other stuff we all use on the computer? Obviously I am no wiz, but I have to think that there are some concerns with this.

Using firefox on a 2 week old laptop running windows 8.1 with java newest update.

Follow the steps in carbdoc's post it will work. If even a dummy like me can follow them, I am sure there are several folks who will find this the easiest. My only computer experience is here on eBay and google. Thank you carbdoc! Appreciate the correct fix!

PS eBay and PP, please get your sheit together! Once again you have foiled my day. I wasted 4 hrs because you can not seem to keep up with the times. Please get this fixed! I am sure you have already fielded around 20,000,000 calls, and for the most part you have not answered the question! Now go get to work on it. I don't care if you have to work 24 hrs aday, get it done please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Member
Answered

Hello!

I have successfully solved this issue in Firefox and Chrome!

Plus, I'm no longer forced to click the "allow" prompts every time I print.

The key was in cheles_jewelry's post, with the link to the Java site about blocked applets.

• First, get the web address that hosts the applet (it'll be in the pop up security window when you try to print) - in this case "https://ibdswebp11-ext.pb.com" - it will NOT be enough to just use the label printing page's URL (eg. " https://postage.ebay.com/ws/ ")
  • Next open your Control Panel (I always use the Start Button to find it, but if your settings vary, just Google for other methods)
  • And select "Java (32 bit)" - it should be noted that I have seen this called different things depending on your version of Windows, so I recommend clicking whatever says "Java" or looks most like it
  • In the window that should pop up, go to the security tab (see picture below)
  • Click the "Edit Site List..." button
  • Add the https url: " https://ibdswebp11-ext.pb.com " (don't use the quote marks)
  • Click Apply or OK as you prefer

You are done, and I didn't even have to restart Chrome!

I hope this helps everybody, and thank you for reading!

Screenshot 2014-01-21 14.30.55.png

2b2d
Community Member
Answered

I did what carbdoc said. in windows i went to the control panel and then the java control panel and changed the security to medium and erased the cache.

I tried to reprint on my thermal and it worked this time.

I always have to answer stupid questions each time I print. I wish that would go away, but it prints.

Community Member
Answered

Hi All,

I've recently switched over to batch printing of my eBay shipping labels and that is working well despite the Java update.  Simply click on the items you want to ship under your Sold Items, then click on shipping actions -->"print shipping labels and invoices".  This will allow you to pay for a bunch of labels at once and download the labels as a PDF file which you can then print as normal.  The problem I'm having is now it's really annoying to print my packing slips (have to go to shipping label management, click "print shipping label", then click on print on the print packing slip link", and I have to track my shipping through PayPal or via one of the mobile apps.

Community Member
Answered

Same thing here. It really ruined my morning. They had better get on this ASAFP!

live4cash
Community Member
Answered

here is the fix...FINALLY, I figured it out!!! 

go to your paypal account...click on multiple order shipping and copy the url in the brwser...you may have to move java down to type it as it will not copy and paste...

open configure java...click security...click edit site list and add it to it and accept...

BAM!!! I am patting myself on the back right now as this has plagued me since the extinction of java 6...Best to all those out there that have been banging their heads on the keyboard...

warehouse-wireless wrote:

I updated to Java 7 Update 51 this morning and now can't print anything using ebay or PayPal system.  In the past after java updates there generally was a workaround as there were similar issues with each update.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and determined a suitable workaround?  I can't figure this one out.  I've tried all security levels in java with no luck.  I can't rollback the update like before either.

I receive the same error with IE9, firefox, and safari. If anyone else is experiencing the problem please help.

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 9.32.37 AM.png

cheles_jewelry
Community Member
Answered
wwbltd
Community Member
Answered

Clear Java's cache and set the security settings to Medium or your Thermal Label printers will not work after the Java update.  That's what just fixed mine =)

Community Member
Answered

I am able to print International lables through ebay but not domestic.  I am printing my domestic labels through ShipRush with Stamps.com.  It is 100 times better than the **bleep**py, 10 click ebay label system.  But for whatever reason USPS will not give the same discount to Stamps.com that they are giving to ebay powersellers.  Even though it's the same end users!!! anyway, I'm paying a little bit more through ShipRush but it takes about 2 seconds to print a label as opposed to about 45 seconds through Ebay.  Trust me the time adds up quick.  Plus it actually works!! Ebay needs to catch up about 10 years, they are so far behind.

mikeofalltrades
Community Member
Answered

I went to eBay and Pitney Bowes on Facebook and complained. No results there.  I used a file cleaner to wipe all of my cache, etc. Nothing. I used Firefox and Chrome. Nothing. I removed the browser data, cache, etc. Nothing.  Went into Java and deleted the temporary files by clicking the button there.  Nothing.

Every decent tech support guy I've talked to said Java updates always ruing things.  The update one thing for one problem and then another problem is caused with someone elses software.

So far STILL CANT PRINT.  $$$$ WASTED.  Just wasting money, here.  Come on professionals sitting at your desks. Fix this!!!  You're causing hemmoraging of dollars here.

bigavsound
Community Member
Answered

Same problem here, ruining todays schedule,  I seem to run into this every few months and can't understand why with all the high tech gurus, ebay and Java can't come up with a better system that works without constantly having to update something  or mess with settings etc,  just to print out a label that one can see on the screen but can't print.     Very frustrating,

For a quick work around,when you see the label on your screen,  click ctl+alt+ print scrn keys, then open your "paint" program and right click/select paste, then click file>print on top of page, (select your regular paper printer rather than thermal )it will have a lower resolution and you will have to cut it out and tape in on package but should be readable and bar code should still be scannable.

You will then still be doing your part to help feed the ebay buyer "I want it now" frenzy they have started with all the required 1 day shipping nonsense.  Good luck!

sixtyninecamino
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

THANKS CARB DOC!  I HAVE BEEN RUNNING DAILY TO POST OFFICE SINCE WEDNESDAY  .HAVE A ZEBRA THERMAL 2844.  I DONT HAVE TIME TO WAIT IN LINE TO SHIP ALL MY SMALL PACKAGES.  I AM SURE A UPDATE WILL COME OUT SOON. DID JUST WHAT YOU SAID AND WORKED FOR ME!

milly0101
Community Member
Answered

I have same issue,, My shipping labels are not printing, so I delete Java and reinstalled and still doesn't work,, so frustraeting :smileysad:

I am getting same exact picture with the very same message you do!! please help!!

mtatech217
Community Member
Answered

I am going thru the same problem, after update Java early yesterday morning (1/15/2014) I can't print label out, the printer can still print the web page and all other pages, but can not print the shipping label, after button "print label" is push there just nothing is sending to print Q.......been working on the all day yesterday and today .... :smileysad:

Community Member
Answered

Understand the risks completely before you just slide java security settings to Medium. Sure it works and there are malcious files waiting for you behind door #1 . Your opening a barn door for virus and malicous  payloads that will wreak havoc . Make sure your backup is up to date first and update your virus signatures for your Anti-Virus tool

Better advice is to put your trusted sites in the exception list using (Configure Java ->Security Tab) as someone mentioned earlier. The reason for the release of update 51 is because of some bad stuff going around.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/cpujan2014-1972949.html

Community Member
Answered

Thanks to kierstenhm   and others I got it working.  Posting to exceptions list is jave as well as clearing the cache and lowering the security setting to medium fixed the issue.  I really thought there was not going to be an answer to this problem...

fngster
Community Member
Answered

I finally found an answer that works for me. Installed stamps.com. It costs me $16/mo but I have enough volume that is a pittance given the time I have wasted the past week fighting the puter and making trips to the USPS counter. This whole Java update thing is not new. I have been thru this several times over the past few years and ebay just can't get their act together with it.

Stamps.com, installed and working as it should and yes, it links with ebay. Also prints 1st Class Intl for non ebay sales which is a real PITA using ebay. Good riddance ebay shipping. Insert middle finger icon here____.

wjs-images
Community Member
Answered

I tried every proposed solution to this problem with no luck. I also tried 3 browsers (FF, Chrome & Safari- Win7) with no luck. Finally, with all the suggestions in place from this thread, I tried IE 11 and it allowed Java to run and the label to print to my Zebra 2844. I never use IE so of course it would work.

I honestly don't understand why eBay, PayPal & Pitney Bowes continue to use Java, considering the problems it causes and the inherent security risk.

By the way; guess what PayPal support told me would work - disable my popup blocker. It’s unbelievable how out of touch they are with their customers. I feel terrible for those who earn their living from eBay and have to endure this level of support.

Community Member
Answered

We run a PC, had the same issue and did what carbdoc says above and it worked. Still have to click several approvals but much bettter than not being able to ship.
Thank you for the help!

Community Member
Answered

Carbdoc's solution worked for me. Thanks

Community Member
Answered

Had the same problem. My printer no longer printed. I 'restored' my system to priop the update date and everything is just fine now. Except for those stupid "Java updates available".

Community Member
Answered
Had the same problem with the last Java update on or about 4-14-2014 , Javca 51
The first reply comment helped me with my Netbook running XP
Thanks carbddocx, I cut and pasted those instructions below
It worked with my Netbook XP, butso far not my desktop also runnin

HERE IS CarbDoc's Instructions:

I had the same problem. I have a Mac. I will tell you what I did. Open Settings, go to Java program, In the General Tab click on settings. Then click Delete Files. This will only delete the cache files that you have downloaded(old label files). Then Click OK. Then Click on the Security Tab. Lower the security settings to Medium. Then at the bottom of the same screen click Restore security Prompts. Then reboot your computer. After the reboot go back to ebay and reprint the labels you tried earlier. You will get security prompts. Accept and allow them to run and you will see the printed labels. I think The actual problem is that the Certificates for Paypal and ebay Postage are not up to date with JAva. I am pretty sure there will be another update to one or the other soon. I hope this helps you, and any one else experiencing the problems.

fngster
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

I have done all the above and I am now getting fewer prompts to click on but get a warning message from Java that the exception is linked to a different domain and no preview in the label window (blank with a red X iirc). I hit print and it does in fact print my postage label so that's something I guess. I am seriously considering going to stamps.com or endicia. More cost and more windows to post tracking to but it works for others.  Seems like we go thru this exact same problem about every 6 months. Who runs the eBay/PayPal shipping site, the obamacare website folks?

Community Member
Answered

Please read my previous answer. This is an update.

UPDATE:
Don't forget to RESTART your PC after reset all tasks as posted above on JAVA CONTROL PANEL. After I printed a few labels, label preview (before print) is appeared now. To avoid of printing wrong label, ALWAYS use SHIPPING LABELS site (left column on MY EBAY page), select label with correct name and USER ID, click REPRINT.

detblack
Community Member
Answered

I am looking for help as well but just know that a very old transaction label printed out and I thought it was for a recent sale and a big mistake was made.  Please be careful and check your addresses and names against t

fngster
Community Member
Answered

As I posted I managed to get a label to print even though there was no preview. That was then, now no print again. Fark you ebay/PayPal! A week + of this **bleep** and you are not fixing it? How hard is it to update your certificate with Oracle/Java? I'm signing up with stamps.com or Endicia or Kenyamail or just making trips to the postal counter. I have better things to do than fight with your antiquated system.

The lack of an ebay moderator/techie posting comments here speaks volumes about how much you care about your sellers who are getting screwed over by this. Did I mention "Fark you ebay/PayPal!"

2b2d
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. I use a Brother QL-1050 and I'm kinda screwed.

I called Ebay and they told me to reprint the label until it works. WTH?

I'm not computer savy enough to fix this ... I use firefox and this is the report it gave me when I tried to print.

Oh by the way it just locked up before the update.

Missing Application-Name manifest attribute for: https://ibdswebp42-ext.pb.com/TranResponse/bnblabel.jar
Java Plug-in 10.51.2.13
Using JRE version 1.7.0_51-b13 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\Adam Orange
----------------------------------------------------
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
q:   hide console