cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I drop at USPS or have USPS pick up shipments with Fedex AND USPS tracking numbers?

I don't quite understand the USPS / Fedex cooperative effort

If I have a label like this (bought through FeDex) , can I drop this shipment in a USPS bin - can I take it to the USPS counter - can I leave it for pickup in my mailbox? 

Thanks

fexc.jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Can I drop at USPS or have USPS pick up shipments with Fedex AND USPS tracking numbers?

I'd sure give it a try; the big "S" in the corner says "Parcel Select."

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@david*42 wrote:

I'd sure give it a try; the big "S" in the corner says "Parcel Select."

Don't think  give it a try is good advice

I would make100% certain you can by taking to your PO counter and ask first vs  dumping it in a Blue Box & having it lost in the black hole of the shipping world - FedEx does have their own boxes.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

If you bought through FedEx, you ship through FedEx.

The USPS should not take the package, it isn't theirs until after FedEx has done their part of the job.  If you leave it in your mailbox the carrier should not pick it up.  If you leave it on the PO counter, you may get lucky and the PO personnel will hand it off to a FedEx driver when he makes his normal parcel dropoff.  If you don't get lucky, the package may be returned to you for insufficient postage.  Same scenario if you drop it in a blue collection box.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not absolutelly sure, but I think FedEx handles the first leg and USPS handles the last leg which would mean shipping it through FedEx and then FedEx decides when/where to do the handoff.

You should phone them and ask because I don't think you can use the drop boxes for Smartpost. I hope you have a FedEx center nearby.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

SmartPost might be cheaper for your buyer, but it's not cheap for sellers if they have to take individual packages to a FedEx center.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@kevinpederson1978 wrote:

I don't quite understand the USPS / Fedex cooperative effort

If I have a label like this (bought through FeDex) , can I drop this shipment in a USPS bin - can I take it to the USPS counter - can I leave it for pickup in my mailbox? 

Thanks

fexc.jpg

You would need to drop it off at a Fed Ex location or schedule a pick-up. The USPS would handle the latter half of the delivery.Man Happy

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Found this ebay faq from last year:

"Please do not drop off your FedEx SmartPost packages at street-corner FedEx drop boxes or the U.S. Post Office, or have them picked up by your local mail person. If your package does end up at one of these alternate locations, however, your package will still arrive at the buyer's location, but you can expect a significant lag in ship time."

So looks like not a good idea.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I mainly ship fedex smart post.

You take them to fedex and leave them at the counter. I don't see any reason you couldn't use a drop box, all fedex does is scan them in.

If you take it to the post office, it will probably be treated as if you dropped off any fedex or ups item and held for you to pick up and after a few weeks destroyed.

Take fedex smart post to fedex.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I saw some information on a SmartPost help page not to use the drop boxes but I can't remember if that was on the FedEx site or USPS. I know for certain you can't use USPS drop boxes but I'm somewhat sure it also applied to FedEx drop boxes. It may have been on the SmartPost section of the FedEx site.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

The label you have is a Fed-Ex Smart Post label that is to be dropped off with Fed-ex to process and ship to the receiving city's post office for "last mile" delivery.  The package will be delivered by USPS, but not accepted or shipped with them.  However, if you have a return with a Postal Service barcode, your local PO will accept it (or your letter carrier will pick it up for free) and give it to the appropriate shipper for final delivery (Parcel Select Return Service).

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I've been using Smartpost whenever it saves me money. I always take the parcel to the post office and they always accept it. They are supposed to take them. if they don't get a supervisor to the window. It may take an extra day or two for them to hand it off to FedEx, that's all. I've never had any delivery issues or complaints and it can save a lot of money.They scan the USPS tracking # on the label at the p.o, and the label says Parcel Select. It's funny how the p.o. undercuts its own prices via Smartpost. Going to FedEx is a pain as it's out of my way.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

rudy wrote: "It's funny how the p.o. undercuts its own prices via Smartpost...

It's not really funny, it's because you're supposed to drop them off at FedEx, not USPS. FedEx is supposed to be supplying the labor/costs for the journey until it reaches the last leg. That's why it's cheaper than USPS prices.

Your post office is doing you a favor—they are not required to accept FedEx Smartpost.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

If you are talking about smartpost. the answer is no. they must be dropped off at the nearest Fedex pickup point for smart post. Please check  your drop off to make sure. Home delivery can not be picked up at a lot of drop off points. If your using UPS surepost I would assume its the same way since Fedex and UPS are the main carriers and USPS delivers from the buyer zip code post office.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@bradandamber

I bet they got it sorted out in the fall of 2015.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply