eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Buyers Not Paying

I think it is time ebay changes it's policies of sellers not being able to leave negative feeback about buyers. Just this past week three different buyers won bids and never paid for items. An unpaid item case can be opened against them but absolutley nothing else is done about them not paying. It takes time and money away from us because although we can relist rarely do we get the same response as the first time, and truthfully i cannot remember ever offering a second chance offer to someone on an unpaid item and having anyone take me up on it. We as sellers have to give out refunds at the slightest issue a buyer may have and then still have to hope that the buyer doesn't leave negative feedback that may damage our rep, even if the situation wasn't our fault. While it's great that ebay wants to protect the buyer, who is it that protects the seller. If a buyer doesn't want to pay then he just doesn't pay and all he gets is a black mark from ebay itself. The buyer needs to be under the same srcutiny as the seller. Let us leave feedback as well. If the seller took two weeks to pay then other sellers should know that. If a seller didn't pay then everyone should know that. It is time ebal takes as good of care of the sellers as it does the buyers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Buyers Not Paying

in reply to bigdagosoftball

My eyes!  My eyes!

Your post it too hard to read all scrumpled together in a single mess.  Please use paragraph breaks.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I completely agree with bigdagosoftball.

A couple weeks ago I started selling all my old things to make some much needed extra cash. I've relisted the same item 3 times, all going well up to the point where the buyer has to pay. I waited and waited, then did a "second chance offer" which didn't work, then got charged with the listing fee. I'm very new to this and I thought it would be as simple as list, sell, ship, but it's turning out to be a frustrating process! I hope this gets the attention of someone who can do something about buyers not paying.

Please use plain text.
aimeesfabulousfinds
Community Member

The poll is a little confusing. I "disagree" with buyers not paying, but I "agree" with your post. I "agree" that sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for buyers. I "disagree" with ebay not allowing sellers to leave neg.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I completely agree that a seller should be allowed to leave negative feedback if a buyer does not pay. They can keep the positive feedback rule with the exception being when a buyer does not pay. I have 5 people that have not paid me this week. One bid at the last minute from Canada, even though I had no international shipping. I have NO idea how Ebay let it through. I went ahead and charged exactly what USPS quoted for shipping and suddenly "my husband lost his job". Funny that they are paying for other items. I think they thought I would miss the fact that they were from Canada and I would have to eat the price myself. Come ON EBAY! I left for a year because of all this mess and I am about "DONE" again!!! You have to give the seller something. We may as well sell on some other site or have our own website than not have any way to vent. A bad feedback to a deserving buyer is just!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I so agree I have had this happen twice in less than a month and I list very few items. The worst part it is the highest bidded items that are not paid for it seems.

What do they do to the non payers? I had one guy bid over 200.00 had feedback of 384 @ 100% - he did not pay me and is a large seller on ebay (which you would think he would definitely know how to behave). He never contacted me at all and interesting enough ebay said they were going to note it on his account however I have checked his feedback since and it remains at 100% Positive - why? If this was me ebay would have cancelled my account - crazy. Better off sticking with craigslist at least they do not charge for listings.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Why is this topic not getting more attention from Ebay? I JUST started selling again recently and have already come across this crap with buyers not paying. What are we supposed to do? At the very least, Ebay should be doing something to prevent buyers from doing this. Allow sellers to mark buyers account with a "I didn't pay" badge or SOMETHING. This is absolutely insane.

The buyer who stiffed me has 100% POSITIVE feedback, but if you read through it, many of them are complaints against the buyer for not paying! What the hell kind of system is this?

Please use plain text.
samuelpaxton
Community Member

I have never sold anything on eBay so I'm 100% a buyer. Buy I 100% agree.

There's been 2 times i did not pay for an item in both cases it's because I bought a better item from the same seller I bedded on

Please use plain text.
samuelpaxton
Community Member

I have 1 question.

What in the he// is buyer feedback for if it not to weed out bad buyers,

Just like sellers feedback does for  buy sellers. ?:smileyindifferent:?:smileyindifferent:?:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I fully agree about sellers leaving negative feedback. These phanthom buyers might very well be other sellers, placing false bids to block out legitimate buyers with the hope the legit buyers will mover to their auctions. ....... My recent phanthom sales have been zero feedback buyers,,,,,,

Please use plain text.
Community Member

This has happend to me several times - it's usually customers with 0 or little feedback, as they really dont have much to lose. They'll purchase on a whim and never reply to messages or pay for the item.

I've even had occasions where the same customer will purchase an item from me two or three times, knowing full well that they will not pay. What ends up happening is that I must file a non-payment complaint which takes 4 days to resolve. Waste of time and resources!

Sellers need a way to either post negative feedback or at the very least, have the non-paying strike visable on a person's user account so that we, Seller's, can know whether or not we want to do business with a prospective customer.

Please use plain text.
jaguara77
Community Member

thats FUNNY, please stop bedding your bids. A contract is a contract, a contract is a contract. One should make their decsion and all research prior to bidding. Only then, one would have the  behavior of keeping their BID CONTRACT intact. Integrity in bidding IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

This is an ongoing problem. Ever since eBay changed their feedback rules for buyers it's been hard to get people to pay. I feel like I can't hound them to pay or piss them off as they may leave me negative feedback which will end up being just another headache to resolve. I've had 3-4 non payers in the last two weeks. I'm really hating eBay right now.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I too believe it's disgusting that one can "buy" an item, then wait days to pay for it...

If you were to go to Walmart, you wouldn't say, "hey, that's my TV, you can't sell it to anyone else for the next week, it's mine... but I may or may not pay for it"

If that were the case I'd laugh in your face.

It also seems this issue is becoming more and more common, I had been selling on here for years, in the past two weeks I've placed a few school books and old clothing I was no longer wearing, which was 'purchased' by the buyer but not paid for.

Despite sending the buyer an invoice and a reminder a few days later.

If you don't have money, don't make a bid.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

By the way, I never give refunds, ever.

There are NEVER any issues with my items as they're described EXACTLY as they are, so if there is ever a problem I know the buyer is making it up.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

If you feel it's worth it, you can also file a lawsuit for damages if the item is time-sensitive... once the buyer clicks "buy it now" or is the winning bid at the end of the auction, they are entered into a legal binding agreement and are responsible for damages thereafter if they fail to pay in the alotted time.

eBay would be wise to change their policies before this becomes the norm

Please use plain text.
Community Member

" On my past experience I find lot of 0 feedback seller just bidding for fun not plan to buy the products because they know by the policy nothing happens to them. But that not good for seller like me it totally waste my time & money . So this are my suggestions
1. Only allowed star rated bidders to bid over $100
2. Allow sellers leave negative feedback to buyer .
3. If a buyer unpaid a item please suspend there account for 6 months
4. Start eBay membership with proper paper work .
Please use plain text.
jillianv03
Community Member

I've just gotten back on eBay to sell items after taking a long hiatus.

It's unfortunate that problems I recall from the past are still prominent and seemingly unresolved. In a world of such wonderful and advanced technology, I still sometimes feel that I'm selling at a flea market in a 3rd world country.

In just a few weeks since my return I've been haunted by people that bid on my items and get me pumped up just to let me down later. I have winning bidders that approach me with a sob story post auction that they have no money and have to wait until next week to get paid. It puts me in a very uncomfortable situation because I want to be understanding and helpful, but at the same time I'm not running a charity. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY, DON'T BID! I have an inventory I want to control and items I'm ready and willing to ship immediately. I have other prospective buyers that were outbid who based on there feedback know the rules and are capable of paying right away.

Then I'll get the excuse post auction that goes along the lines of: "Oh gosh! My son/little sister/dog/monster living under the bed -- got access to my account and bid on your item. I'm sorry I'm not interested in your item and cannot pay the amout owed".

To have something like that happen to you after listing something for 3,5,7 days is just deflating. We as sellers have no actual recourse when something like that happens. Technically we can ask for our fees back, and we can relist the item, but that is tedious, time consuming and typically won't result in the same financial gain. Does letting that type of buyer loose teach anyone a lesson? The buyer gets away scot free and no other seller gets the priviledge to know who they are doing business with when an auction is live.

How these things happen is beyond me too. It makes no sense that as sellers we supply a credit card and other funding sources to pay fees AUTOMATICALLY. We have to jump through hoops to prove to PayPal who we are. We supply all our banking information so they know we are legit. I'm sorry, but buyers should be placed under the same guidelines. All eBay buyers, or i suppose users in general, should be required to have a valid credit card on file that is automatically charged via PayPal 24 hours after an auction ends and they were the winning bidder. Unless of course the buyer voluntarily makes payment beforehand or sets up some other concrete type of payment arrangement.

eBay says that bidding on an auction is a binding contract, but it doesn't feel that way. Some people treat this place like a free for all, and its only fair that sellers should be able to point those people out to other sellers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Some guy in Russia made offers on 15 items about 4 days ago. I countered and he accepted all 15.  I spent about an hour in a pleasant exchange of information, having to go to the Google translation site to assist me, and he asked me a ton of questions, apparently pleased with the end result. Told me he'd pay the next day. That was the last I heard from him.  Then he stiffed me. 15 items. So I submitted unpaid item requests on all, but you know what will happen? Nothing. I don't know if Ebay counts these 15 strikes as one, but it's disheartening.  I've been a seller on Ebay since 1999, and it's obvious that they could give a rat's patooty about the sellers. The buyer is in the driver seat.  Ebay cut off sellers' legs when they stopped our ability to leave negative feedback.  We have zero leverage, and Ebay backs the buyer EVERY time.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I agree, but this should be on the part-time sellers board not here.

Please use plain text.