cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims item received was fake but I have proof it is genuine - What now?

If buyer does not respond, should I escalate this with eBay to change the buyer's remorse return (buyer pays shipping)? Does anyone have any experience with fake vs. proof claims with eBay?

I sold a bag on eBay and the buyer filed a return request stating "Problem with Item", stating the item is not authentic and it is not made of leather. My return policy is "returns accepted, buyer pays shipping". Her filing this request shifts the fault to me and makes it so that I has to cover shipping. 

I messaged her back with a picture of the receipt to prove authenticitiy. The receipt is from the brand's company store and states the model of the bag (which matches eBay description for clarity) so it's pretty clear cut. The listing never said the bag was made of leather - this was her own assumption.

I said that I was sorry she was unhapy with her purchase and I will gladly accept the return, but her reasons for return do not stand so I won't cover return shipping. She has not responded and the deadline is tomorrow.

I called eBay but they said they cannot change the return request until they review the case after the deadline. My question is: If buyer does not respond, should I escalate this with eBay to change the buyer's remorse return (buyer pays shipping)? Does anyone have any experience with fake vs. proof claims with eBay?

Even if she changed her mind and doesn't want to proceed with this, I still have to get the return request turned around to "buyer pays shipping" and formally accept it through the website (even if she ignores it). If I let the case fizzle and expire as it is, it counts as "no seller resolution".

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You can't change a SNAD return to a remorse return.  It just won't happen.

If the buyer escalates the claim, you are deemed unresponsive because you didn't offer one of the accepted solutions presented.    That will result in a Unresolved mark on your account.  Those are deadly to a seller with very little margin of forgiveness. 

And when they find the buyer's favor, they can also issue the buyer a refund and not require a return, and you won't get your selling fees refunded.  Now I've heard that they MAY still require a return, but you still get that Unresolved mark that wont be removed.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Well as far as calling it fake, really there's nothing you can do about that, eBay won't look at your certificate of authenticity because they don't know if the bag you shipped was actually the bag the buyer received.

Though them saying it wasn't real leather, if it was never stated in the listing that it was real leather then you do have some grounds there since you can dispute a SNAD on the claims that you never described it as being leather, and as far as them saying it's fake, I don't think they can prove that either, but eBay can't really do anything because they don't know.

I'd have just paid for the return shipping anyway. Better to have the bag back and sell it again and still make profit, albeit it a little bit less profit than before.

HOWEVER, you need to make sure you respond before that deadline, because a case closed without seller resolution is very bad.

Bigmotormania
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. If it was a small item, I would have gone along with INAD just to defuse the situation. But it's a massive bag and total cost of packing and shipping was over $30. 

@bigmotormania wrote:

they don't know if the bag you shipped was actually the bag the buyer received.

I don't undderstand this, sorry. How could the bag I shipped not be the bag they received? Tracking should be all the evidence they need that the package was not tampered with.

When I spoke to customer service, she said they would evaluate the receipt as evidence if I escalate. As for respond - I did, and I offered an alternative (return - buyer pays shipping) but it wasn't an automated option that I could click, so it doens't register with eBay (lol).

I was wondering the odds of them changing the type of return claim to "buyer pays shipping" after they review the evidenct so i can click the automated "accpt" so it counts as resolved.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I wouldn't argue over return shipping. That is the least of your concerns.

Ebay does not know if you shipped the bag that you have the receipt for or if you shipped something else, so they will not consider your receipt proof of authenticity.

Fighting a SNAD hardly ever works out well for the seller. You will likely lose, pay return shipping, refund the buyer, and get an unresolved case strike. The best strategy is to cut your losses. Just take it back and block the buyer.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

You can't change a SNAD return to a remorse return.  It just won't happen.

If the buyer escalates the claim, you are deemed unresponsive because you didn't offer one of the accepted solutions presented.    That will result in a Unresolved mark on your account.  Those are deadly to a seller with very little margin of forgiveness. 

And when they find the buyer's favor, they can also issue the buyer a refund and not require a return, and you won't get your selling fees refunded.  Now I've heard that they MAY still require a return, but you still get that Unresolved mark that wont be removed.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@cutelittlethingamabobs wrote:

Thanks for your reply. If it was a small item, I would have gone along with INAD just to defuse the situation. But it's a massive bag and total cost of packing and shipping was over $30. 

@bigmotormania wrote:

I don't undderstand this, sorry. How could the bag I shipped not be the bag they received? Tracking should be all the evidence they need that the package was not tampered with.

When I spoke to customer service, she said they would evaluate the receipt as evidence if I escalate. As for respond - I did, and I offered an alternative (return - buyer pays shipping) but it wasn't an automated option that I could click, so it doens't register with eBay (lol).

I was wondering the odds of them changing the type of return claim to "buyer pays shipping" after they review the evidenct so i can click the automated "accpt" so it counts as resolved.

What I mean by that, is that eBay doesn't know that what you know you shipped is not what the buyer is claiming they received.

IE; You shipped item A, buyer receives item A but claims to have received item B (the lie), but since only you know that you shipped item A, but only the buyer knows what they received, and if they claim it is item B when it was in fact item A, eBay is stuck with a he said she said situation, and since the buyers are the ones forking over their money they would rather side with the buyer.

This is why SNAD and NAD cases almost 100% of the time go in the buyers favor, because neither buyer nor seller can prove either way in a way that eBay would listen or have absolute guarantee to be true. 

Bigmotormania
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

If you want to better protect yourself against future SNADS you really should include measurements, material, pictures of the branded interior label/tag, etc.

Even with that, you will eventually run into the "it's smaller/larger than it looks in the picture.  Smiley Frustrated

CYA

@cutelittlethingamabobs 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Was it the TB bag?  Have you asked the buyer if your tags are still attached?  And all of the item packaging is present and able to be returned?  There is nothing you can do except accept the return with a claim of fake.  Just tell the buyer that you will gladly accept the return, but ask them a photo proving that the tags are still intact.  Tell them that upon you verifying your seller's mark inside the bag and it being returned with tags intact and in the condition in which it was received, you will refund them in full.

There is nothing else you can do.  Be prepared to receive a fake bag back. If you do not get the same bag back, come right back here before you do anything.  Be nice, be professional.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@bigmotormania wrote:

The pieces of paper you have (receipts, etc.) are pieces of paper, that's all.  They cannot be connected to any certain item.  You could have received them when you bought the item and sent another item to the buyer.  You could have created those pieces of paper yourself.  No one but you really knows for sure.  That's why they can't be used as proof of anything.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@baggs-2024 Item condition does not apply when buyer files a SNAD.  How would a broken NIB item be returned NIB when obviously the box was opened and the item removed to even look at it?  If the tags are no longer attached, eBay is not going to care and it will not affect the return. Need further proof?  eBay provides buyer protection for 30 days after delivery; PayPal for 180 days from payment.  That item condition stuff is just silly nonsense.

You know that, once a return has been authorized, the seller is obliged to issue the refund no matter "what" is received from buyer - or in what condition.  I just don't agree with, not only giving an OP advice that is inconsistent with the reality, but the advice could also cause a seller to incur an unresolved case by the seller escalating the case rather than issuing the refund.

@cutelittlethingamabobs

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ebay Policy for Returns and SNADs:

Policy overview

You must return an item in the same condition as it was received, not used or altered in any way. You must also include, in the same condition as it was received:

• All original packaging such as boxes, bags, tags, and UPCs

• Accessories such as cords and remote controls

• Certificates, manuals, warranty, and rebate cards 

• "Free gifts" or bonus items

• All items included in a bundle

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

When an item is returned to the seller

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

• The seller is required to accept the return at the same location specified in the listing.

• The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation.

• The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item.

So... if the buyer states that they CANNOT return the item to the seller in the condition it was received, that makes the item ineligible for coverage under the ebay MBG. Have had many cases closed in my favor when buyer admits that they removed the tags, therefore not being able to return a New with Tags item.  

I fight BEFORE I accept the return, according to ebay's own policies.  All you have to get is the buyer's admission of such and find a rep that abides by ebay's own policies.  There they are.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@bigmotormania wrote:

No - if you call them and actually DO get them to change it to a buyers remorse return, you STILL get an unresolved case strike.Just accept the return, send a label, and hope you get YOUR bag back.

How ebay is that?

@cutelittlethingamabobs

Coincidentally I just stumbled on this a little while ago:

Tip #4: Display handbags inside and out

Photograph the interior and exterior, the front and bottom of the bag, inside lining, and tags. Also, use the new Handbag Measurement Guide and provide the size in your item description.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/handbagguide.html

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Good to know. Appreciate you coming back and posting this. Thank you!
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Hello!  I was hoping you could update us with the outcome.  I have a similar case.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply