cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Scam: abuse of eBay buyer protection

Recently i had a buyer contact me staring the Barbie I had shipped him was not as described. He stated the doll's makeup was entirely faded and he would like to "work it out" with me. I knew instantly something wasn't right because not only was the doll in perfect condition, but she was still packaged in her original box. I decided to check his profile and just by hunch took a look at the feedback he  had left for others. Hmmmmmmm, I noticed quite a few negative feedback a he'd left within the last 30 days and also saw where some feedback had been revised. I decided at that point I was not going to play host to his scam and left a message kindly informing him that six photographs were provided as well as A detailed and accurate description on the listing. Additionally my preferences stated that I do not accept returns. For this reason, I would not be offering him a refund. 

Then his following message, yes plural messages, called me names as he attempted to bully me. He left negative comments and opened a case against me. 

I then contacted eBay via phone and relayed the messages he had sent to me in addition to the continuous use of negative feedback as a ploy to receive refunds on the goods he purchased. I was told they take this seriously and they would handle the case. Another week went by and the eBay case was closed; however a Paypal case was opened demanding a refund due to item not being as described.i then provided PayPal with screen prints of his messages as well as history of negative feedback abuse. I was shocked when PayPal granted his return request. I was happy that at least he did return the exact doll, undamaged, and in an unopened box. 

This is what upset me the most. Despite eBay allowing sellers to set their preferences on their profile, those preferences are not honored. This man's eBay account is STILL open and he continues to abuse the buyer protection policy as noted by his feedback left for others. I've taken it upon myself to monitor his feedback log and notify each seller when he leaves bad feedback for them. I urge them to follow up on his feedback and not only file an online complaint against him, but call Ebat as well to report him because of this one experience and th manner in which eBay and PayPal managed this issue, I am contemplating no longer doing business on this platform. There NEEDS to be seller protection as well.

A Disheartened Seller

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The second a buyer asks "what are you going to do about it?" is the second you have a buyer fishing for a partial refund.  And since he is a reseller, he just wanted to increase HIS profit margin.  That particular doll was issued with pale face paint so his complaint is bogus anyway.  Whether you have a return policy or not, you should always respond "I'm sorry you are unhappy, please return for a full refund."  .  If you don't, you're only in for a world of trouble as you found out.

I agree that once ebay finds for the seller, there should be no further recourse on PAYPAL.  At least he had to pay for the return shipping because you would have been responsible for that as well with the MBG.  Be sure to report him for everything you can:

1.  Abuse of MBG

2.  Competitor

3.  Malicious bidding

Some of them are a bit of a reach but he deserves whatever sticks.  And contacting some of the other sellers he negged to get them to report also may help in getting him removed or at least on their radar.

If he opened a case on ebay and lost you could have that feedback removed.  Frankly I would wear that neg with pride because it will scare off future scammers who think you're an easy mark.

Good luck!

Joe

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Seems like paypal is the one to blame, ebay did find for you apparently.......

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I know ebay and paypal are separate companies, but

Buyers should only get one bite.  If they are ruled against on ebay that should be it.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Just to clarify, the eBay case showed it was closed by the buyer.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

ANTE

Actually,  I am surprised that  Ebay DID   find in your favor. They usually don't  because Ebay has no way of figuring out---who  is telling the truth  in these Not As Described situations.  The only  thing    I can   think of is that  he must have had way above  the  average   number  of   Disputes filed --or  he must have left  way above   the  average number of  Negative Feedbacks left for sellers.

As  far as PayPal goes---they rarely find in favor of the seller.Smiley Sad    

I am  very glad to hear    though----that you  did get your doll  back.  And that he did not damage it.Smiley Happy  Things could have  turned  out much worse. 

By the way---are you not aware that there is no real "no returns policy"  on Ebay? 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@emerald40 if you purchase something with your credit card and the store refuses the refund of the defective merchandise, should your credit say "sorry you had one bite at the apple" and your stuck with a broken item?

"Buyers should only get one bite."

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Unless a store is being very unreasonable.

But we know ebay gives a buyer every benefit of the doubt.  So if they find in favor for the seller imo it is a slam dunk.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@emerald40 we are both aware of how eBay decides cases normally. 😞

I'm thinking PayPal, now that they are a separate company, has to apply the rules consistently across all platforms they serve.

Probably some regulation they could be sued over if they tried to say eBay buyer's weren't eligible for protection when using them as a payment processor.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I realized there really isn't any purpose to set up my profile preference with no Returns. Yes, I am thankful I received my doll back; however, it is appalling to see he's still actively using those same tactics. He should be **bleep** down by eBay.
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

And they are a seller that also sells barbies .....

OP, I am not sure if you are aware of how lucky you are in getting the item back.  Normally scammers get to keep the item and get their money refunded .  And many times the seller gets a defect for it.

And while ebay and paypal are now different companies, I find it disconcerting that they both use the same answering machine that plays the same blurbs for both companies perks in the same voice while you are on hold..

I might have missed it, but did you report the buyer to ebay through the official report a buyer link?  ebay does very little to buyers unless you do - and unless you have experience with calling ebay, you might not know to request a US CS in resolutions that will do things for you and not just say things they think you want to hear to get you off the phone.

ebay will not know that scammy buyers are scammy buyers unless sellers take the minute to report them officially.

And ebay allows sellers to state no returns in their terms of sale to let the sellers feel that they have some control over the process.  But if you read the ebay money back guarantee, you will see that the sites policies trump anything that the seller has and that in reality, the seller has no control if there is a problem.  What sellers need to do is get to know the ebay/paypal policies and how to get those policies to work for them.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

The second a buyer asks "what are you going to do about it?" is the second you have a buyer fishing for a partial refund.  And since he is a reseller, he just wanted to increase HIS profit margin.  That particular doll was issued with pale face paint so his complaint is bogus anyway.  Whether you have a return policy or not, you should always respond "I'm sorry you are unhappy, please return for a full refund."  .  If you don't, you're only in for a world of trouble as you found out.

I agree that once ebay finds for the seller, there should be no further recourse on PAYPAL.  At least he had to pay for the return shipping because you would have been responsible for that as well with the MBG.  Be sure to report him for everything you can:

1.  Abuse of MBG

2.  Competitor

3.  Malicious bidding

Some of them are a bit of a reach but he deserves whatever sticks.  And contacting some of the other sellers he negged to get them to report also may help in getting him removed or at least on their radar.

If he opened a case on ebay and lost you could have that feedback removed.  Frankly I would wear that neg with pride because it will scare off future scammers who think you're an easy mark.

Good luck!

Joe

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I have personally filed 4 complaints online about him and encourage the other sellers to do the same.
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I do find myself extremely lucky. I did receive the doll back in the same condition. Very thankful for that.
Also, happy he was out of pocket to ship the doll back to me.
I suppose what I'm asking of eBay is to provide clear results of violating their rules.
I do hope my preference filters weed out buyers like him in the future (he has been blocked from bidding on my items). I just loath crooks.
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@antebellumannes wrote:
I do find myself extremely lucky. I did receive the doll back in the same condition. Very thankful for that.
Also, happy he was out of pocket to ship the doll back to me.
I suppose what I'm asking of eBay is to provide clear results of violating their rules.
I do hope my preference filters weed out buyers like him in the future (he has been blocked from bidding on my items). I just loath crooks.

ebay will never let you know what they do about it.  All you have to find out what they do is watch their id to see if they get NARU-d or their buying activity stops.  Sometimes you see that, but sometimes it take a long, long time.

(*Bleep*)
Message 15 of 27
latest reply