cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Using USPS Media Mail to Send Books/Recordings to Hawaii

So I sell a cassette collection via BIN to a buyer in Hawaii over the 4th of July weekend.  Buyer had the option to have it sent with Expedited Shipping but declined, so it was sent "standard" via Media Mail.  I use eBay's labeling system, package up the item, and take it the PO for dispatch.

Later that afternoon, I get a message from eBay saying the buyer had requested to cancel their order, but since package had already been sent, eBay had informed buyer on my behalf it was too late to cancel.  I call eBay about this as I had never run into this problem before, and they say, "no worries -- we've informed you and the buyer what's going on -- you need do nothing more." 

After I mail out any eBay purchases,  I always check eBay's tracking info and the USPS site to make sure they're on their way.   Within 24 hrs of pick up at the PO this woman's package arrived at the USPS sorting center in Warrendale, PA awaiting further dispatch.  A few days later I check again, and the status is the same, so the next time I go to the PO I ask them why it seems to be just sitting there and whether I should be concerned.

The answer was no.  Media Mail to Hawaii from the Mainland usually takes 3-5 weeks as the PO aggregates the packages until they have sufficient quantity to merit onward shipment.  Media Mail is the last to be shipped.  They tell me to keep checking on its status and if the package hasn't been delivered in 4 wks time then to file a lost package trace request  as it's too soon to do so now.

A few days later, I notice the buyer has lodged negative feedback against me.  Reason being "I refuse to communicate."   Huh?  I never have heard a thing from this woman.  Any/all communication I got about the order was from eBay -- not her.  On top of that, I had spoken to eBay when I received the notice from them that they had denied the buyer's request to cancel the order and they had told me "everything's fine -- you don't need to do anything more."

So I call eBay about the negative feedback comment.  They look at the trasaction and eBay message records.  They agree that the buyer's negative feedback was unwarranted and removed it.  

Another week goes by and I get another message from eBay.  This time telling me the buyer had opened a case because "item had not been received" and that I need to provide eBay with tracking info.  Huh?  

Tracking info was instantly/automatically put into the transaction the second I printed the label via eBay's labelling system.  Yes, I double-checked.  It was and is still there plain as day so what in the heck are they talking about that they need me to provide the information?

But, I respond within minutes of the request giving eBay the tracking number, carrier, plus additional information about the fact buyer had opted for Media Mail shipping which takes 3-5 wks which PO confirmed.  Since it's only been two weeks, I cannot file a trace request but was advised by PO if package doesn't arrive in 4 wks time to do it then, which I intended to do and would keep all posted.

Same info was sent to the buyer.  I hear not one word from the woman AGAIN.   No, "Thank you for the update.  I'll let you know when it arrives.  I'd like to send it back when it does because XYZ,"  etc.  Absolute "radio silence" from her end, once again. **bleep**?

So I call eBay to discuss the situation and verify they received the information I sent them.  They tell me "Yes, I see it here. You did everything right -- there's no reason to be concerned or nothing more you need to do."

SO TODAY, (you guessed it), I get a message from eBay saying they have closed the case, decided in the buyer's favor, and refunded her money.  The reason?  "Tracking info I provided was invalid."    Come again?

I call eBay and the CS Rep tells me, "Yes, you did everything right, but the buyer didn't get her item so she has a legitimate complaint."   I ask the woman if she can see the info I had relayed about usual Media Mail transit times to Hawaii, that the buyer opted NOT to use expedited shipping, and that PO had informed me that 4 wks need to go buy before I should file a lost package trace.

She says, "Yes I can see all that and I understand, but once a buyer opens a case, we let seven days go by and if there's no status change in the tracking info, we consider the info you provided to us as "invalid" and close the case in favor of the buyer."

I ask her again if she understands this package was sent to Hawaii not the lower 48 states, and the usual Media Mail shipping time is 3-5 wks which the buyer agreed to and enough time hasn't elapsed for the package to reach the buyer yet and my hands are tied trying to trace it until the first week on August according to the PO.

Her response?   "Yes, I understand that, but your appeal will be denied because the buyer hasn't received the item so her complaint is legitimate."

So I ask her what happens when the item shows up.  "Nothing," she says.  "eBays already closed the case so there's no reason for us to get involved.  If you want to try and send the buyer an invoice and ask her to pay for the item *outside of eBay* you can, but eBay won't intercede as the case is already closed."

I can't believe my ears.

I then ask her if there are other ramifications to this debacle and she says:  "No, the buyer can't leave any negative feedback for you, but yes, since the order wasn't fulfilled it will count against you."

At that point, I had just about had it and said:  "You mean to tell me, that despite the fact you and others at eBay have told me numerous times that "I did everything right" and provided you with everything your requested in a timely manner and kept everyone involved in the loop,  that not only am I out an item which I am left to my own devices to get shipped back or paid for, you're penalizing me for something I have no control over -- a "crime" that hasn't even been proven to have been comitted since the requisite amount of time hasn't even elapsed yet for the item to be verified lost or for that matter delivered?"

Her answer?  "Well, you could have avoided the problem entirely if you had just sent it Priority Mail.  It would have gotten there in a timely manner and if it did get lost it would have been insured."    

Gob-smacked doesn't quite cover it...

I said to her, let's not hash over the fact again that IT WAS THE BUYER that opted for Media Mail shipping, but if that's eBay's position (not to use Media  Mail), then why doesn't eBay make it impossible for sellers to ship an item any other way, or at the very least have an auto warning message come up that says:  "Due to significant delays in shipping from the Mainland to Hawaii (or vice-versa) we strongly suggest you use Priority Mail instead of Media Mail in order to expedite delivery and avoid your seller opening a 'Item Not Received' case against the transaction due to probable time required for delivery."

Her response?  "Oh, we would never do that because we want sellers to have control over how they choose to sell and ship their items.  Besides, I don't see why you're so concerned, you have 100% positive feedback and Top Seller status -- this incident isn't going to make a difference."

I kid you not!   That's what she said.  SImply incredible.  So I hung up and told her:  "Have a nice day."

So, moral of the story:

-- If you're selling an item that ordinarily is allowable and can be shipped via Media Mail and the buyer is in Hawaii, DON'T send it Media Mail.  Either cough up the extra money to send it Priority Mail yourself, indicate in your listing that expedited shipping is required for buyers that aren't in the lower 48 states, or don't allow bidders outside of the lower 48 to bid at all.

-- Or, change your Media Mail listings to Priority Mail to avoid the problem all together, though in my case most of my "Media Mail items" sell for so little, the cost of expedited shipping would double or triple the total amount due, which is a buyer deterrent -- which is why I am not in favor of going that route.

-- Realize that even though eBay has denied a buyer's request to cancel an item after it has been shipped, that doesn't mean they can't blast you with negative feedback however unwarranted.  IOW, you'd best keep eBay on your speed dial as you'll be talking to them a lot to get things straightened out.

-- Though I realize there are divergent opinions about whether to put bidders on a BBL, the buyer in question is now on mine and will stay there permanently.

-- If an eBay CS Rep tells you "You've done everything right, there's no need to worry" -- don't count on it.

-- For those who are wondering, yes I will be filing a lost package trace request with the PO in another week, though I fully expect the package will show up in due time.  

-- And finally, I'm not totally convinced that the buyer wasn't trying to pull a fast one from the get-go given her behavior, but if she wants to scam me out of eight bucks that bad, she can have it.  I'm not going to waste any more time or emotional energy on chasing her down for the money or demanding my item back.  Just not worth it.

Apologies for the length of this, but hopefully there's some value in sharing what happened -- especially when it comes to how eBay chose to handle the matter, which on one hand is mind-blowing, but on the other, sadly the way it seems it goes.

Regardless, thanks for listening to me vent.   Keep calm, and sell on!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The international settings are global, the domestic settings I have to select in the SYI (Sell your item) form when creating the listing.  They're under the shipping section.  But I'm not on my desktop where I do all my listings and can't remember what the exact setting is called.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 36 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

You should of let the buyer know what was going on, don't wait for them to communicate with you.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

@fortys-tech-n-stuff wrote:

You should of let the buyer know what was going on, don't wait for them to communicate with you.

@livadia wrote:

But, I respond within minutes of the request giving eBay the tracking number, carrier, plus additional information about the fact buyer had opted for Media Mail shipping which takes 3-5 wks which PO confirmed.  Since it's only been two weeks, I cannot file a trace request but was advised by PO if package doesn't arrive in 4 wks time to do it then, which I intended to do and would keep all posted.

Same info was sent to the buyer.  I hear not one word from the woman AGAIN.

Sounds to me like the OP let the buyer know what was going on. This is yet another case of eBay stupidity but more importantly another example of their lack of respect for sellers.

The longer I'm on eBay, the more convinced I am that idiocy in the world is growing at an alarming rate. No where is it more visible than the view from eBay itself.
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Thanks for your comment, but I specifically called eBay to find out what I should do and they told me they had already informed the buyer they had denied the cancellation request and "that I needed to do nothing more."  

Hence as I already mentioned in #4 of the "Moral of the Story" section of my post... "If an eBay CS Rep tells you 'You've done everything right, there's no need to worry'-- don't count on it." 

Silly me for being so stupid as to believe what they said.   Won't be so trusting and naive next time around...

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Although I did not lose my money or my item, I got a late delivery defect from a Hawaii shipment.

I ended up blocking Alaska and Hawaii.  

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

@dbmm-media wrote:

Although I did not lose my money or my item, I got a late delivery defect from a Hawaii shipment.

I've thought of doing the same dbmm-media, but I have had other sales to Hawaii before that went off without a hitch so I kind of hate (unlike eBay), punishing those who are innocent just for the sake of one.

However, I'm still on the fence about it.  Am trying to see whether just including in the description that buyers outside the lower 48 must use Prioroty Shipping will deal with the problem without having to just outright ban all bidders from Hawaii and Alaska.

BTW, is it possible to block certain states on an individual listing or is that a universal setting?   If it's possible to restrict bidders on a listing by listing basis, where do I indicate that stipulation?

Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

You can not block states that are in the lower 48.

You can put in all the disclaimers you want in your listing, but they mean nothing.

If you put in a disclaimer about Priority only for Hawaii / Alaska, they can purchase your item and select the standard shipping and you are obligated to send it standard.

The way ebay is, to many late deliveries will negatively impact your account.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

@dbmm-media wrote:

You can not block states that are in the lower 48.

You can put in all the disclaimers you want in your listing, but they mean nothing.

If you put in a disclaimer about Priority only for Hawaii / Alaska, they can purchase your item and select the standard shipping and you are obligated to send it standard.

The way ebay is, to many late deliveries will negatively impact your account.

Yes, I understand a disclaimer is not fool-proof.   That's why I said I'm still on the fence about how to handle the problem so as not to repeat the experience. 

But I am confused by what you said above. 

You mentioned earlier you HAD blocked bidders from Alaska and Hawaii to get around the problem.   How did you accomplish that?

And if you are blocking bidders living in those two locations, does that mean the same block is present on ALL your listings, or just those where you are shipping via Media Mail?

Thanks.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@livadia

Since it is still in PA can you do a package intercept and get it shipped back to you? You can do it online I think. This buyer MAY have done this before hence the the opting for Media mail, and then the cancel request after you shipped.

A great way to get free items from sellers who ebay won't back up. I think a package intercept is around 12.00, but you will get your item back. You can bet the buyer will NOT repay you once they get the item as they already asked to cancel.

Bood luck and let us know how it turns out.

Whenever a seller finds the key to success, ebay changes the lock>wah photo 0767_zpsx6rpcmh5.png
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

The AK/HI/U.S. Territories blocks are global.  You can not block them from only select shipping services.  Guess it would make for too much common sense for them to tweak the Ship To check boxes so that those are options for any shipping service selected that could be specifically added or excluded.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

@dbmm-media wrote:

You're lucky you didn't lose your money.  I had something similar happen with a shipment to Saipan, in the Mariana Islands.  Tracking showed it departed Jamaica NY and then fell off the map.  A month later I refunded the buyer, then filed a claim  with USPS (it was priority), but then another month later the USPS found the package (in the US) and re-routed and delivered it.  I was out the item and the money, and the buyer got their item (eventually) and didn't have to pay for it.

I now exclude US Protectorates from all listings, and exclude HI/AK if the package has the chance of going slow shipping, such as media mail or ground shipping.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

As a seller I would never use media mail for tapes or CDs if the are light enough to go first class mail.    Nor would I ever send anything media mail or standard mail to Alaska or Hawaii.  

I also don't offer any buyer a choice of shipping method  - I figure it's my job as a seller to know what the best means of shipment is for everything I sell. 

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

All this angst over Anne Murray!

Did it by any chance weigh under a pound? It could have been sent First Class.  I can't see three cassettes weighing over a pound, but I suppose it's possible with packaging.  Anyway it's all water under the bridge at this point.

Sorry you got an impatient buyer. Smiley Sad

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@dbmm-media wrote:

dbmm-media,

What is a "late delivery defect"?

If you ship with tracking and the tracking is scanned within your handling time, I believe the transaction does not count against your on-time shipping metric, even if it is never delivered.

Unlucky

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

First of all, I am so sorry this happened to you.  I had to read your post as I occasionally use Media Mail too.  I learned early on about using Media Mail for buyers in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.  (my situation happened well before 2008 shipping books...a very, very long delivery).   After that experience, I would pay the extra for expedited shipping (First Class or Priority) if my buyer happened to be from one of those locations.  It was a rare occasion, but I felt better about the chances of it getting there faster.  Any chance you could stop the shipment...maybe it’s still in the lower 48?  If you could get it back, that would keep your buyer from getting a freebie anyway!  Also, I looked at your listings from that time period and if it was one of those new 3-cassette sets, then they could be shipped First Class for around $1 more depending on your packaging (box or envelope).  I weighed 3 cassettes with their plastic cases and came up with almost 7 oz.  Put them in a lightweight box (I have 6x5x3 boxes that weigh just under 2 oz), add another ounce for a piece of bubble wrap and you’ll be around 10 oz.   Or a DVD-sized padded mailer which weighs less than an ounce.   So worth the extra cost for a little piece of mind.  Now if there was something we could do about immediate buyer cancellations!!
Message 15 of 46
latest reply