cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to School Woes?

Hello All, 

New seller here wondering if anyone else saw a sharp decline in sales when school started? I understand that schools open at various times across the county, but mostly early to mid August where I live. I've continued to list and revise current listings but it has only amounted to more items being listed. No improvement in sales. 

Please and thanks, 

Integrity Sales

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Back to School Woes?

Hi and welcome. Took a look at your listings. They look good, and you seem to have a handle on customer service as well which will help set you apart from your competition.  I see you did have a sale on 8/15 and another on 8/14. Being as the clothing category is over-saturated, and that you still have some sales coming in, you are doing well compared to some. So just keep doing what you do. Sales will pick back up soon as people begin to prepare for the holidays. Do keep in mind that pre-owned clothing is a tough sell to gift shoppers, but people will be looking for attire for themselves. Don't think I have anything more to add except come to the boards with any concerns (which you are doing) and keep abreast of ebay policies. Wishing you the best in your selling future.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Back to School Woes?

@integritysales83  School hasn't started around here ... I'll know when it starts when I start seeing the school buses rolling down the road ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Back to School Woes?

@integritysales83 wrote:

Hello All, 

New seller here wondering if anyone else saw a sharp decline in sales when school started? I understand that schools open at various times across the county, but mostly early to mid August where I live. I've continued to list and revise current listings but it has only amounted to more items being listed. No improvement in sales. 

Please and thanks, 

Integrity Sales

I'm in the state of Washington.  Out in our direction, school has always started in September.    Typically schools that have the need to start in August is because they have more teachers day [school closed], longer vacation breaks, planned snow / weather days and/or they end the school year earlier than others that start in September.  In the areas of the country that don't have as many days off, they can start in September.  

Schools are required to have 180 days of student instruction for grades 1 through 12.  So however any given school district does that is fine.  Sometimes the schools that start in August can end the school year earlier if they don't have to take or use up all the weather days they have planned.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Back to School Woes?

Oh, I should add that for me, August is the slowest month of the year for me typically.  I don't really start picking back up until about the middle of September.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Back to School Woes?

Hi and welcome. Took a look at your listings. They look good, and you seem to have a handle on customer service as well which will help set you apart from your competition.  I see you did have a sale on 8/15 and another on 8/14. Being as the clothing category is over-saturated, and that you still have some sales coming in, you are doing well compared to some. So just keep doing what you do. Sales will pick back up soon as people begin to prepare for the holidays. Do keep in mind that pre-owned clothing is a tough sell to gift shoppers, but people will be looking for attire for themselves. Don't think I have anything more to add except come to the boards with any concerns (which you are doing) and keep abreast of ebay policies. Wishing you the best in your selling future.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Back to School Woes?

Sorry. I should've indicated that I'm asking about 'back to school' considering the costs parents have associated w/ buying clothes and supplies. Was wondering if this had a direct impact on sellers' numbers who sell pre-owned clothing. Thanks - Integrity Sales
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Back to School Woes?

Thank you for your comment. Yes, I had two sales this week but those were the first since last Tues. I just started in May, so I don't really know how to gauge what's a good or bad week during any particular season. I will keep working at it.

Thanks for the encouragement!
@fashunu4eeuh
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Back to School Woes?

Good information to know. Thank you for your reply! @mam98031
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Back to School Woes?

@integritysales83 wrote:
Sorry. I should've indicated that I'm asking about 'back to school' considering the costs parents have associated w/ buying clothes and supplies. Was wondering if this had a direct impact on sellers' numbers who sell pre-owned clothing. Thanks - Integrity Sales

Exactly.  

School on the East Coast does not start until September, but parents are already shopping for back to school. 

And as a parent it can be very expensive.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply