cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I really getting stiffed by another seller?

So on May 20th an auction of mine ended, there were multiple bidders and the winning bid was another seller. Well here we are 4 almost 5 days since it ended, i have sent and invoice and after 48 hours filed an unpaid item claim. I have had no response from this person at all. The item she bid on was in the same category as what she sells. No problem as it was an item that i found while spring cleaning. i have only been selling for 90 days or so and have already had 6 unpaid items 3 of which are still open and potentially will open another tomorrow. Why on earth would we do this to each other? Surely this person has had unpaid items and knows the frustration in having to wait to relist or offer a SCO.  i would think if nobody else you should be able to trust that other sellers purchasing your items will at least pay.  I am not new to the business world but my experience has always been with customers who receive a service and then pay in person. So i guess ebay is a whole different ball game where peoples words or bids are worthless. Sorry for the rant but i just dont understand why sellers are being deadbeat buyers! 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@rebeccpascha0 Welcome!

First, let me say that you may find this link helpful for those non-paying bidders:

http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

If you don't mind offering some advice based on your category. I have found cosmetics to be one of the higher scam-magnet categories (not as bad as electonics, but still has a higher percentage of undesirable "buyers").

I would suggest using only fixed price listings. Select the requirement for "immediate payment required". If you are using the quick listing tool you will need to switch to the advanced listing tool for this setting.

Do not use auctions and to not use best offer.

If somebody sends a message that sends up red flags, please come here for advice on how to handle.

A lot of eBay is learn as you go, but you'll find a ton of helpful information by reading these boards.

Oh, and I agree that sellers should not treat other sellers in that way. 😞 Sorry you're experiencing that. I'm sure many people will post here and say that sellers make the worst buyers.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

thank you advice is always welcome! it is good to know that about my category, I have already been listing alot more as a BIN but with best offer. I have only had 1 non payer with an offer but maybe 3 weeks ago is when i started transitioning to that format. I initially came to ebay to unload inventory that couldnt be returned to the manufacturer after closing my salon. Although i still work full time behind the chair, as an independent with NO employees 😀 i must say i have gotten quite "addicted" to this set up as i can make good money on the side with no physical work. Ill take the good with the bad and learn to play the game. Thanks for the advice! 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

"I would suggest using only fixed price listings. Select the requirement for "immediate payment required". If you are using the quick listing tool you will need to switch to the advanced listing tool for this setting.

Do not use auctions and to not use best offer."

This is the best advice there is for avoiding the non-paying bidder.  You will still get some jerks wanting to make off Ebay offers but you can just block em and ignore those.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"no physical work"

How do you manage that?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Mornin,

Not fully grasping the situation here is another thought on "Why Would Another Seller Do This".

As mentioned they sell in the same category.

It has been known that competitors will look to bid on others goods to try to get them OFF visibility.

They know that if you know the system then for every day they do not pay your product is unavailable to be purchased...then you wait...open an UPI claim...then you wait again for the case to close before you can relist it. Done enough times to their competitors...some of those folks may get discouraged and stop selling those goods leaving them to have less competition. Just some thoughts.

Mr C

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Your items, pictures and sales are outstanding. You're performing well above the mean.

You'll be surprised when they all pay at the last minute. Sometimes I think my buyers have calculated to the second how much time they have to pay.

Don't message them and watch.  The time to message them was before the unpaid case was opened.

"I noticed that your _______ is still waiting for you to retrieve it. Tomorrow, Ebay's Unpaid Assistant kicks in. That will buy you four more days. If you need more time, just let me know and I can turn it off."

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You will find that in many of the discussions on the boards of problem transactions the "bad buyer" is a seller.   

Message 8 of 8
latest reply