cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.99 fees for this month! Why do I never get free listings anymore?

Hi when ebay USE TO give me a bunch of free listings, like 500  or 1000, I was paying them $100-$200 a month sometimes. I havent got free listings in so long that I lost all my unsold items(over 1000). Would have to relist them all over again now. For the majority of items I sell, it is 2.99 3.99 4.99 5.99 6.99 type stuff and a store just is not worth it.

Really sad they don't want my money, those free listings, heck I guess I got use to them, but I havent seen any in over 6 months.  My other friends get them a few times, but never my name. O well, funny thing is my friends don't even use them, Id use 1000 in one day if they gave em to me.  lol!!

Just alot of things on ebay just backwards, I guess its tough running a company like this and trying to figure it all out, but I think they screwed up with me. I was at least generating FVF's for them when I was receiving the free listings.

Anyone like me out there?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

March 2012 to March 2016 an endless flow of listing promos, aty least two a month and if you didn't get an invite to one you propbably would for the next.

Those days are OVER, eBay has so many listings now without them that they no longer find them useful.

That's not to say they will never happen again but it's very likely to be infrequent at best. eBay has been running some other types of seller promotions, promos for very specific items or promos on the back end (fvf) which are useful for high value items.

If you have things you have confidence in then pay to list.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

If you really don't want to open a store, how about just get a second or third basic selling account going?  Even if you're limited for a little while on these 'new' accounts, a call to eBay usually gets your listing limits upped quickly since you're already an experienced seller here.  That way you'd have more free listings to use each month...

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

@roddybeaubois wrote:

Hi when ebay USE TO give me a bunch of free listings, like 500  or 1000, I was paying them $100-$200 a month sometimes. I havent got free listings in so long that I lost all my unsold items(over 1000). Would have to relist them all over again now. For the majority of items I sell, it is 2.99 3.99 4.99 5.99 6.99 type stuff and a store just is not worth it.

Really sad they don't want my money, those free listings, heck I guess I got use to them, but I havent seen any in over 6 months.  My other friends get them a few times, but never my name. O well, funny thing is my friends don't even use them, Id use 1000 in one day if they gave em to me.  lol!!

Just alot of things on ebay just backwards, I guess its tough running a company like this and trying to figure it all out, but I think they screwed up with me. I was at least generating FVF's for them when I was receiving the free listings.

Nope. We know that you have to spend money to make money. I'm completely fine paying for a store fee and having 1000+ listings running. It absolutely would not be worth it to me to try to do it the way you are. 

eBay has plenty of money. Seems to me it's you that doesn't want money. Which is what you get by not listing stuff.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@roddybeaubois wrote:

@roddybeaubois If you are paying $100-$200 in final value fees per month with 500-1000 listings active during a listing promo, that equates to $1000-$2000 of sold merchandise. So it seems to me that the fee of a basic store subscription would be more than covered with the resulting sales from your higher volume of listings....

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Spending $240.00 a year to generate $24000.00 or spend nothing to generate $1300.00 a year is a real no brainer so you probably shouldn't give up your day job...

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

I don't want to negate your problems, but you can no longer sell $2.99, 3.99 stuff.  Remove the under $5 stuff and just concentrate on the $100+ plus, which you have in your listings.

Another suggestion, you should be doing auctions with BIN.  Since its mostly sports stuff, have you done comparison pricing to see what others are doing?

@roddybeaubois wrote:

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Personally, I don't object to the listing fees. It's the FVF that gets on my nerves. 

I understand an advertising fee - just like an ad in the local newspaper classified section. Paying insertion fees means less selling competition and more of a chance my item will get bought.

But, a FVF??? And on shipping too?? Totally unfair and unearned.

It's my item, eBay did not go to work to get the money to spend the effort and outlay cash to buy it, take it home, clean it up and prepare it for sale, take pictures, write ad copy, nor did they store it, insure it, wrap it, pack it or ship it. They do not deserve a cut of my pie when it sells. They had nothing to do with that item.

JMO.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

It's not just you.  Don't let it drive you crazy.  Just do everything you can.  Hopefully one day somebody will be hungry and they'll let us make money again.  Opening a store won't help.  Those aren't FREE LISTINGS.  FREE means NO COSTS, which means no charges taken off of your profit.  WHICH MEANS MORE MONEY.  Yeah, more money for the seller, and MORE MONEY for EBAY.  However, if you open a store, it's more money for YOU and even MORE money for EBAY.   Oh, the "store."

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

A basic store on a month to month basis is $25.......for 500 listings, or 5c a listing............  if you can't make enough to cover that and make profit...probably best you do wait for free listings that may never come...........

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

no, because the store only gives you 150 listings, so that is false.
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

sorry 250 listings, which isn't enough.

I have another account I use to sell expensive items I do about 700-1000$ a month in fees sometimes under it. Ussually in the 300-600 range.

I guess I shouldn't expect free listings, but the people that are saying shut up and open a store, 250 free listings isn't going to do much for me. You are just forgetting that. Your acting as if $25 a month store is going to just list all my items for free and that is not the case.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Basic store gives you 250 fixed listings and 250 auction listings. Certain category restrictions on auction listings.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 13 of 30
latest reply

You can set up a card table infront of your house and won't have to pay any grease money for that everyone else is going to want some grease...

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

You can set up a card table infront of your house and won't have to pay any grease money for that everyone else is going to want some grease...

Getting my low end ready to do just that. I'll advertise collectibles and watch the dealers show up, they should know better but they will show up anyway. 

Message 15 of 30
latest reply