eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
gopetersen
Community Member

2014 Spring Seller Update

So what's in store for the March 2014 Seller Update?

You can buy a crystal ball on eBay, but I haven't been buying  much lately, so we'll have to do without (unless someone else wants to supply one)...

• There's a rumor, based on what a CS rep said to a seller, that everyone will be coerced shunted pushed encouraged to be in the GSP program by March.
  • The push to get all sellers into Managed Returns might pick up steam by March.
  • Small seller DSR purges may continue at irregular intervals.
  • Fees? Anyone's guess.

Punt...

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

Re: 2014 Spring Seller Update

in reply to gopetersen

gopete we have to get through Christmas first ebay is getting pretty handy with on the spot policy changes with very little upfront warning.. What I see coming down the pike for spring is mandatory GSP if it's for sale on ebay it will be for sale worldwide mandatory managed returns if a item is defective ebay will refund the buyer and debit the sellers account and sellers will be left to deal with the buyer if they'd like to have their merchandise back an lastly mandatory free shipping if it's for sale on ebay it will ship for free. Right now all three of those features are struggling to keep afloat and making them mandatory with insure ebays financial growth into the future..

Please use plain text.
ersatz_sobriquet
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

Gopeterson, how could you? lol

Think that far ahead!

You're stressing me out.

I think we have one job to do right now, and that's try to figure out how to be seen with cassini and listings that won't be shown even with the right keywords.

Surviving the holidays and how to have sales, lots of them.

I agree though bubbleman. Mandatory this and that.

Ebay is finding a way to control what they can't, and that's product, since they never have had their hands on it. By mandating gsp and managed returns, they can put their hands on the merchandise and finally control the one thing in the past they couldn't.

We will truly be ebay employees then. Employees without health insurance, and half a million disclaimers and caveats in the user agreement.

Ebay has found a way...a way to control the sellers. Smart move on their part. Sellers will be at their mercy.

We have the goods, but they can, and will, make us lay down like a good doggie.

If the stock keeps on the up and up, if the profits continue, I see ebay eventually making all small sellers ship the product to a location where it is inspected, processed, and mailed through ebay, thus completely taking the product into its control.

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to ersatz_sobriquet

ersatz search is still all the same as it was when cassini was rolled out a year ago only difference between now and then was ebay has now admitted to hiding folks listings so people now have a search problem,but it's always been there.  The problems folks are seeing have been going on for over a year just no one bothered to investigate and it was easier to brand folks as ebay haters when rolling blackouts and search manipulation were brought up for discussion in years past..

Please use plain text.
cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to bubbleman2010
They're not going to make the GSP programme mandatory. There are too many sellers who pop a few stamps onto an envelope and put the envelope in the post box. These sellers items are not conducive to the GSP programme.
Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

Right now ebay is going through a phase they think slow sales and no sales must be the sellers fault so lets whack a bunch of sellers and see if that improves the sales ratios. It will help the sellers that aren't whacked by making the item pool a little smaller,but long term almost everyone will get whacked running on the standards eBay is using now,but the real problem is internal and the system requires a complete overhaul and I just don't think they have anything that will offset the bad karma buyers have about ebay that they let go unchecked for years when the money flowed like water..

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to cobbie10

cobbie your thought process centers around stamps not overall and whats beneficial to the site. They can instantly make it mandatory and they'll tell you like they tell everyone else don't like the policy close your account and take your business elsewhere...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Look for ebay  to enact "pay for view" a graduated fee scale package whereby for 10 cents more a seller can get greater visibility for their item (or perhaps any visibility at all) and then for another 10 cents even greater visibilty, etc. Or they may do it as a monthly subscription deal the way they are doing with feedback reminder feature for $3.99 a month.

Please use plain text.
cobbie10
Community Member

Rubbish, they cannot make me print labels for my sales, just like they cannot make the thousands of other stamp, postcard, cigarette card, baseball card sellers print labels on items that cost $1.10 to send overseas. It just won't happen. Once again the tinfoil hat brigade are out in force.
Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to cobbie10

Future Reality is always rubbish on a ebay disscussion board and always has been,but thats one of the things a born seller has built into their brains is always being one step a head instead of one step behind...

Please use plain text.
retrose1
Community Member

in reply to cobbie10

cobbie10 wrote:
Rubbish, they cannot make me print labels for my sales, just like they cannot make the thousands of other stamp, postcard, cigarette card, baseball card sellers print labels on items that cost $1.10 to send overseas. It just won't happen. Once again the tinfoil hat brigade are out in force.

They can, all they have to do is say it the same way they said that paypal is the only payment method you will advertise that you take.

They took away TRaSh discounts from sellers who whould not jump through their hoops and i think that they were shocked at how many gave up their addiction to the dangling carrot at that point.  Now ebay has to start coming down hard and just forcing sellers to do it their way.

They implement the new rules, most sellers roll over, and they already know the percentage of the ones that will, they are the ones that have jumped through every hoop so far, and some will leave.  But after the end of a year, the dust will have settled and the crop of new sellers will never have known anything different and won't complain.

But i do not think that ebay ever wants to actually have any merchandise in their hands to control it.  They have complete control over the money aspect of the transaction and that is all they need.  Any decent business class teaches that the more hands on merchandise the better chance of damage, but we do not know if the Hoe cut class that day.

I think that they are still researching their GSP to see if sales Internationally have dropped on sellers that opted in.  They are weighing the difference between drop in sales and fees because the cost is too much and the fees they are getting from sellers that just ship Internationally.  They want profit and they want to beat Amazon, mandantory GSP will not gain ebay that.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cobbie10

cobbie10 wrote:

Thanks for the hyperbole, but Even the people with Tinfoil hats are right from time to time. It doesn't hurt to consider what they are saying.

Ebay can make you do whatever they want, it's their site. 2 years ago no one would have thought they could take a percentage of your shipping cost, but they did and still are. So, before you say they can't, I would rethink that. Ebay is about money and control. If they feel they need to make you print your labels through them, they will.

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to sotherbuys

Making GSP mandatory has nothing to do with printing labels unless you're chasing ebays discount. You wares will simply go to Kentucky and your buyers will pick up the added expense for their purchase. In my world it's called grease money and you either pay the grease or go without no one likes it but its all just a part of doing business. My only concern with GSP is how SNAD disputes will be handled and the way it looks right now is you refund entire price plus return shipping if you want the item back or you just abandon merchandise and thats going to be a tough business problem to try and figure out..

Please use plain text.
thegolfingdolphin
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to gopetersen

They might make the sellers user name mandatory for GSP, but they can not make all items.  Different items are banned in different countries.  Just because your user name is in the GSP does not mean your items have to be.  

Please use plain text.
prettywoman-2012
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to cobbie10

cobbie10 wrote:
They're not going to make the GSP programme mandatory. There are too many sellers who pop a few stamps onto an envelope and put the envelope in the post box. These sellers items are not conducive to the GSP programme.

That, and some other legal issues that even the most well-trained ebay attorney can't overcome...it would be against the law to force ebay sellers to make their items available for the entire world. There are religious, political and other aspects, besides the legal ones, to consider. Even ebay is not that blatant to risk the consequnces of such a move. That would be the beginning of their end.

Please use plain text.
3662marina
Community Member

in reply to prettywoman-2012

I can see Managed Returns being mandatory for sellers that accept returns. Or, accepting returns may become mandatory.

I can't see GSP becoming mandatory, especially for sellers that ship Internationally already. Maybe they will make international shipping mandatory, then you have an option of either doing it your self or through GSP. I just cannot see that forcing sellers that already shipping Internationally,  into GSP, will make sense. There will a be a huge drop in Internatioanal sales, then. How would that be profitable for eBay?

Please use plain text.
retrose1
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to 3662marina

3662marina wrote:

I can see Managed Returns being mandatory for sellers that accept returns. Or, accepting returns may become mandatory.

I can't see GSP becoming mandatory, especially for sellers that ship Internationally already. Maybe they will make international shipping mandatory, then you have an option of either doing it your self or through GSP. I just cannot see that forcing sellers that already shipping Internationally,  into GSP, will make sense. There will a be a huge drop in Internatioanal sales, then. How would that be profitable for eBay?

This is where people of high finance are paid big bucks to waste their time doing the math to see if the extra $10 they make per sale but will lose 50% of their sales from GSP will gain them more profit than just the FVFs on the International sales from sellers that are going on without it.  I believe that is going on now.

They will spend weeks of research to gain an extra buck in the long run.  And they don't really factor in the time spent to pay the people who think this carp up, pay the companies to conduct the research and surveys, pay the programming monkeys to 'fix' the site with new programming, pay the extra CS to listen to sellers and buyers complain about it, pay the marketing and advertising to try to convince everyone that this is a great new idea that benefits everyone, and pay the lawyers to make sure that it is legal and their bases are covered.  All those millions to make an extra buck.  That's the ebay way.

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

bubbleman2010 wrote:

cobbie your thought process centers around stamps not overall and whats beneficial to the site. They can instantly make it mandatory and they'll tell you like they tell everyone else don't like the policy close your account and take your business elsewhere...

Bubbleman,

It's what's called wishful thinking from a seller whose personal ox may be the next one to be gored.

More of a prayer than a prediction. Like a guy praying for a certain number on the dice's come out roll.

Should this unhappy event be made manifest in 2014, the "love it or leave it" pronouncements will disappear like Alice down the rabbit hole.

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Please use plain text.
rdksystemservices
Community Member

I can't see worldwide shipping being forced. It's impossible. Many items cannot be exported to other countries for any reason. The Computer section on ebay alone contains many of said items.

Please use plain text.
darkofthematinee
Community Member

in reply to retrose1

retrose1 wrote:

They will spend weeks of research to gain an extra buck in the long run.  And they don't really factor in the time spent to pay the people who think this carp up, pay the companies to conduct the research and surveys, pay the programming monkeys to 'fix' the site with new programming, pay the extra CS to listen to sellers and buyers complain about it, pay the marketing and advertising to try to convince everyone that this is a great new idea that benefits everyone, and pay the lawyers to make sure that it is legal and their bases are covered.  All those millions to make an extra buck.  That's the ebay way.

Well said.

Please use plain text.