eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Retiring Teacher Scrapbook Ideas

Hello everyone,
My daughter's 1st grade teacher is retiring and I was thinking of making a scrapbook as a gift for her from the class. I was considering sending an envelope home with each child with some paper which they can decorate, write a letter, etc. and then return to me to put in the scrapbook.

I am short on time (as usual!) and thought I would see if anyone has done something similar or can offer any creative suggestions for such a project. I'm also trying to decide what size would be best/easiest to do - 12x12 or 81/2 x 11.

Thanks for any help you can provide!:-)
Hilary
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rj*sunshine
I did one for my twins' 6th grade core teacher.
Each child had an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of white cardstock. They wrote what they liked most about her, some drew pictures on their paper.
I made a really nice cover page and included a poem I'd found on the net as the last page and bound them with my binding machine.
I've seen really neat ideas though where you punch a couple of holes and then secure it with a rubber band and a pencil or stick or dowel.

I didn't have a chance to take a picture of ours since I waited until the last minute to do it. :smileyhappy: Image hosting by Photobucket
Photobucket
The original munchkin
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rj*sunshine
I think this would be a great idea! I was thinking that you could put a 4x6 of the kids 2 per page (4 per 12x12 layout) and behind the pictures of each of the kids put the envelope with what the kid drew... and have them right something of why they loved that teacher.. this should make about a 10 page album (5 double page layouts for 20 kids) you could do extra pages for class field trips and such. this should be simple enough that you could get it done in no time! and it won't be to bulky to give as a gift. Image hosting by Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rj*sunshine
When my sons school principle retired, I scrapped the junior high trip to Virginia. We were both chaperones for that trip. I went individually to each child, and had them write on a 4x4 scrap paper, what they remembered most about the trip. Took pictures t/o the whole trip, and did a lot of journaling of the highlights of the trip. Turned out really nice, and he really liked it alot. I choose to go to each kid individually because in my experience, things were hard to get back when just passing out paper, and asking them to do something, and return. Very few were turned in completed.You could do an alphabet album. T-E-A-C-H-E-R. One letter for each page. My favorite things about the teacher starting with 'T', next page, my favorite things about the teacher starting with 'E', and so on. They are always fun. Lots of journalling. Heartfelt journaling about the good things that have happened to the children/your child, because she was their teacher. Get other PARENTS involved as well! Lauri
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rj*sunshine
Only comment I have is that everyone else seemed to do things with the kids. From prior experience, only about half that you send home seem to come back. Alot of parents just don't have time to help their kids. So I suggest you find a time when the teacher could be distracted or is at a workshop and get the sub to help you do it. Otherwise I think your idea is great. I think the teacher would love to have the memory. Remember to take a photo of the classroom and the outside of the school.
elena
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rj*sunshine
Thank you so much for all of your replies! I work full time and so I definitely will enlist the help of another mom or 2 to help me out in getting it done - hopefully without the teacher catching on!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

hilary
Please use plain text.