eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

anyone think we are not made of energy ?

Physics! do I need to say more? FACT: ENERGY DOES NOT DIE. AFTERLIFE? Let's see what you smart people say to this. Please don't post something stupid.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
The mind is just a byproduct of the brain. When the brain dies, the mind dies, so there is no "afterlife." The energy that sustains the brain is the same energy that sustains the body. This energy comes from the environment in form of food. Remove this food and the body will die, as a result of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This Law also says that all things eventually will "die."

In essence, the Law of Conservation of Energy and Matter states that matter converts to energy and vice versa. When an organic body has died, its matter decomposes, releasing thereby energy. In this respect then, energy is conserved. But this process is irreversible, due the Law stated in the first paragraph -- in other words, you could not take this energy and recreate this body
~ Happy is he who can discover the causes of things, for thereby he has mastered all fear, and is throned above fate. -- Goethe ~

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Matter (mass) turns to energy in a nuclear reaction only. Decomposition is not a nuclear reaction. Energy is conserved - it does not live so it can not die. The physical things you can touch in a human body could be turned into energy. But I doubt the mind or conscious is a physical thing composed of either mass or energy. I can not hold a mind in my hand (and maybe not in my head either - LOL) - it is not a physical thing.

So just because ebergy is conserved does not mean there is an afterlife. I doubt any truly scientific theory or method can deal with (as in explain it in scientific terms) the concept of an afterlife.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Matter (mass) turns to energy in a nuclear reaction only.

PLEEZE! You burn a log of wood in your fireplace, the wood turns into energy -- no nuclear reaction necessary. You drink a glass of wine from the better slopes of the Burgundy, the wine turns into energy in your body. No nuclear reaction necessary.

The mind is a function/product of the brain, just as what you see on your computer screen is a function/product of your computer's operating system.

Nothing more, nothing less.
~ Happy is he who can discover the causes of things, for thereby he has mastered all fear, and is throned above fate. -- Goethe ~

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
okay I'm throwing my 5 cents in (inflation you know) LOL

I belive the mental plane is eternal and we are able to access it thru our brain (organic computer). A small example is in exploration of the mental plane we learn or "download" data into our brain which in turn translates to our physical experiences.

Consciousness never dies - it simply transforms. If one was to view the body as "solidified consciousness" or matter where the molecules are dense enough to give us the sensation of matter then molecules can be transformed since consciousness resides in all molecules.

The brain has evolved to the point where it can now determine it's own destiny. The body will directly experience this evolution.

As far as "after-life" goes, if one was to view it in linear time it would be separate from our consciousness and the way to prove it's existance would take on forms that are not accepted by certain belief systems.

If one could see that consciousness is "finer" than physical matter and it can move thru matter and is permeable than one could easily see it move thru dimension where "after-life" resides. It's much like having a radio with many channels. Because you are tuned into one does not mean the others do not exist. As we move the dials, we simply focus our consciousness elsewhere.

As far as immortality goes, it depends on what dimension the physical body is resonating with. Each dimension has certain properties. The Light Body is immortal. It is not the physical body becoming immortal per se, but the mind's experience of it's immortality in the physical body.

It is "stepping outside of the box" that the grandest experiences begin. When you begin to think in an unlimited way, you can begin to grasp what true immortality is
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
I think we have a problem here with definitions of words. E= mc(squared) of course. This is the only equation known that relates mass to energy. This conversion takes place only in nuclear reactions - in which mass is converted into energy. All chemical reactions (be they wine in the human body, wood in a fireplace, or decomposition) merely convert one type of energy into another. They do not create energy - they only transform it from one type to another as conservation of energy is required in our physical universe.

"the wood turns into energy ..."
Wood produces heat as it is chemically transformed - but no energy is created, only transformed. Wood is not turned into energy - if it were the amount of energy produced would be astronomical (enough to blow up most large cities).

Is this a record for hi-jacking a thread?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
"If one was to view the body as "solidified consciousness" or matter where the molecules are dense enough to give us the sensation of matter then molecules can be transformed since consciousness resides in all molecules."

Very hard to prove scientifically that consciousness resides in all molecules. I would say more than very hard - more like impossible. For example how would one prove a water molecule has a conscious? Consciousness exists only in a persons mind. I do not think science can either prove or disprove the existence of either a conscious or a mind....We only have our minds to prove minds exist - not very objective = not very scientific.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Consciousness simply is. "It" knows. It has no need to prove that to itself or to others.

As far as science goes, I have seen data along those lines about consciousness residing in molecules.

But than I am a "caterpillar explorer". I like to go out on the limb so to speak. Perhaps this was the wrong thread to do it on.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Caterpillar Explorer has discovered this article on the net while I tried to find those articles I was referring to.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0282.html?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
This is the only equation known that relates mass to energy. This conversion takes place only in nuclear reactions - in which mass is converted into energy.

Not true. The "m" in e=mc2 stands for any material object that has mass. For example, one pound coal might yield the same result as would one pound of plutonium.

The problem is that we have not yet figured out how to turn coal into an atomic bomb.

And hopefully, we never will.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Exactly what is not true. That
"This is the only equation known that relates (as in shows equivalency between) mass to energy."
or that
"This conversion (from mass into energy) takes place only in nuclear reactions - in which mass is converted into energy."
I think you will be surprised to find out that both statements are scientifically proven facts.

I fail to see how your statement that "...For example, one pound coal might yield the same result as would one pound of plutonium...." refutes either of my statements (or has anything to do with them whatsoever).

There is no doubt a KG mass produces the same amount of energy when that mass is converted to energy - whether that mass is feathers, gold, or plutonium. But I do not understand the bearing of that statement on any previously mentioned statement.

What about your previous statement that "the wood turns into energy " or "the wine turns into energy?" You still stick with them? Do you think energy is created (an object with mass turns into energy) in a a chemical reaction like either of those two examples (wood, wine) you gave?

Lets start a new thread if you want - kind of getting off topic here. Hate to hijack the thread even more.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
When you say "nuclear reactions", I presume you're referring to matter-to-energy conversions involving nuclear fission or fusion. You have to have the right material/process for this.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Oh please people, can we get off the Einsten intellect ego maniacs? Let's keep it simple. First of all, the brain in and of itself is only matter, a means to something, but by way of the thing that provides it life. A car will not start if the battery is dead. Matter is created by means of the atom, etc., etc., etc. Let me ask those of you who don't think all this is related to afterlife, life, whatever. If you think we are just a void from nothing, then why do you try to better yourself?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
we radiate electromagnetic energy, infrared radiation. our body produces energy, ATP, through cellular respiration. when we die, our bodies will return their stored energy to the soil as nutrients and CO2. the co2 will later be absobed by plants for photosynthesis. sometime in the future, the co2 that was produced by your body decomposition will return to producers and passed onto primary, secondary, tertiary consumers and decomposers.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Yep! As the saying goes: "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

:smileysurprised:)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
>the co2 that was produced by your body decomposition will
>return to producers and passed onto primary, secondary,
>tertiary consumers and decomposers.

What is Beethoven doing now?

Decomposing!
--
ID change coming soon. Film at 11.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
I heard Beethoven was orchestrating a come back...

*LOL*
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
energy is molecules that are moving, right?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
"...energy is molecules that are moving, right?..."

Not really. Molecules or anything elese that moves possesses energy. But that does not mean energy is molecules in motion. Similarly, just because I possess a cat does not mean I am a cat. Heres the defintion of energy at www.dictionary.com if you are not sure of what energy is....
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=energy&db=*

In this discussion the best definition is probably -- "The capacity of a physical system to do work." Notice no mention of molecules in motion is made which suggests it is not a necessary part of the definition.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cyndlarts
Ok,

The theory suggested is:

People are "made of energy"; Energy never dies; Therefore there must be an afterlife.

Let's assume for a moment that this is a valid argument.

Can the same argument be applied to other things that are "made of energy?"

Consider the Sun.

It's a big ball of fire (fusion & fission, I know...) and emits all sorts of energetic particles and rays. I suppose it's fair to say that it's "made of energy" as much as people are "made of energy."

According to the theory, it should follow that the sun must have an afterlife, since "energy does not die."

However, this cannot be the case, since the sun was never alive to start with.

Obviously, it would appear that the concept of being alive involves a high state of energy wherein the atoms and molecules are arranged in a very low state of entropy, (i.e., the specific arrangement of sub-cellular structures, cells, organs, organisms, for example,) without which it cannot be said that something is (or remains) alive.

The theory is in error because it postulates only one of the necessary conditions for life, which by itself is insufficient in defining what it is to be alive.

QED
Please use plain text.