eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
smart-shop-games
Community Member

buyer claims item is damaged. priority mail insured, but does she need to ship it back?

Ive read a few posts, but could use more clarification. shipped a ps2 console in a priority mail flat rate box and insured. Buyer said the item had cracks and broken peices, and also packaing was crushed. The thing is, for some reason she thinks that i sent it to her that way all broken, without mentioning or thinking that it could be usps. she immediately opened a claim without contacting. She said she still tried to play with it and used scotch tape to put the console back together.....which is odd, as I would have contacted the seller immediately and not even bothered with the broken item.

I am currently waiting for her response to my request; to send pictures of the box and item. She is requesting a replacement, which i do have one in stock.

If / When I receive the pictures, do i immediately file a claim with usps? If for some reason she denies the picture request or states that she does not have any device to take pictures, how should i proceed?

I know I need to tell her to hold onto the item and packaging, but how will usps inspect the package? would she need to take it to usps? ship it back to me?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: buyer claims item is damaged. priority mail insured, but does she need to ship it back?

in reply to smart-shop-games

You file a claim with USPS.  She generally will be requested to take the item and packaging to her post office for inspection.  If she doesn't cooperate, you're pretty much out of luck.  If she ships it back before USPS inspection the insurance is void.

So ask her to hold on to everything while you file a claim, then give her the claim number to take to her post office with the item and packaging.

Please use plain text.
mycocentric
Community Member

Re: buyer claims item is damaged. priority mail insured, but does she need to ship it back?

in reply to rfmtm

Did you put pictures of the serial number in the listing? You should always do that with items that have serial numbers in case a buyer tries to send a different item back. It wouldn't surprise me if your buyer bought your good PS2 to replace their old broken one with tape on it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Please use plain text.
billy_biggle_fan
Community Member

in reply to smart-shop-games

An insurance claim would likely be denied, as even the large flat rate box is not sufficient packing for a PS2 console.  The boxes aren't big enough to accomodate the console with at least 2" of padding on all sides.

I would have the buyer return the damaged console, then ship a replacement once you get the old 1 back.

Please use plain text.
smart-shop-games
Community Member

in reply to billy_biggle_fan

Yes, that is why in the beginning i asked to get a clear picture of the serial number and damage in one shot, however she said she could not get both in one shot with a clear view of the serial. i told her that once we received the picture, that we might then ask her to take it to the post office for inspection. Instead she took it to the post office and left it there after she could not get a clear picture without consulting us. I called her local po, and they confirmed she did drop it off. Shortly after I opened an insurance claim online.

Id rather just refund the money than to exchange, and tell her if she wants another one to just use the refund to purchase another one, as it will cost her $12.70 something as she does not have comm. plus pricing,  to ship it back to me again, plus another $10.65 for me to ship it back, and the money I spent purchasing the replacement console to resell, i would end up in the red.

I shipped it in a long box medium flat rate, not the normal ones. Width wise it had a lot of room, however front to back not as much. Hopefully they will find the claim in my favor. If not then what else can i do? I will just have to cut my losses and move on.

Please use plain text.