cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WL 1895 in a crown porcelain mark

Reputed to be high quality Hong Kong of recent manufacture. Anyone have more definitive information?
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: WL 1895 in a crown porcelain mark

that is about anyone knows, has been sold by some ignorant or unscrupulous sellers as rare William Lowe pieces.

The exact origin of this stuff is unknown but some pieces have been found with "Made in China" stickers

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml#wahlee

and scroll down to WL 1895

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thanks, that's all I have found also. You would think that it would be easier to find out since it is of recent vintage.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

not really, we no nothing of any modern chinese company

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

try googling "Wong Lee"

it's all junk

A fur coat is just a second-hand garment that looked better on the original owner.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Wong+Lee%22+porcelain&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dRqSU_PXAoqryA...

ok, so I had to google Wong Lee porcelain to get this

A fur coat is just a second-hand garment that looked better on the original owner.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

try googling "Wong Lee"

it's all junk
"""""""""""
I have googled it and am aware it is not antique. It is copying a style, normally considered a knockoff, but not trying to counterfeit.

The piece I own is actually quite well made with good bronze castings and the bonus is there are no chips in the porcelain or loss of the Majolica-like flowers. I would like to give the maker his due if I could find him.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

these WL pieces are not really a copy of anything.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

meant to add... not copying anything as they are a mixture of various historical styles.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

O.K. this is a very old thread but here you go for anyone wanting to know about the W.L.  William lowe - Wong Lee Porcelain.   Wong Lee is in his own right a true artist,  because of his oriental heritage and french renaissance style,  he has been labeled a fraud.  This is truly a shame.  PLEASE research William Lowe marks and you will see that they do not resemble one another,  The initials are the same W.L.  and the date of 1895 is not intended to deceive but a commemorative date of the end of the war in China.  His pieces have NEVER been advertised as antiques, except by uneducated antique dealers.  Some of his pieces have even been labeled "Not intended for food"  Any professional artist that glazes with enamels will many times use leaded glass as the colors are much more rich and vibrant.  This is typically for cloisonne. I am an avid antique collector of fine items, French, English, and Italian.  I personally own two large Wong Lee urns.  Now,  nothing beats the luster and beauty of a fine kept french piece...if you are willing to spend $12,000 dollars and for most, this is a no-brainer,  That's a lot of money.  But if you appreciate beautiful things,  Wong Lee's pottery are BEAUTIFUL hands down, well made, heavy, vibrant with excellent bronzes.  Yes, they are from 1999 to date,  new things are being created every day and not everyone inspired by antique design are frauds, A person who sees a lovely antique and says to themselves "I want to do that" is a testimony to that awe inspiring form making you want to recreate the period with true artistry, not a "half-ass" copy sloppily painted and cranked out in sweat shops for profit.  You will find that the really only likeness is the fact that they are made in the french renaissance period, he is also known for English-inspired pieces.  It is a true shame that he has been labeled as such.  So just remember the next time you see a piece of WONG LEE "W.L. 1895" Piece and appreciate its design and elegance as they are truly beautiful.   Just a thought.  Kelly

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Any one knows these intials ENK with a crown sign, I have a porclaine figure dated 1877.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

you need to start a new thread and post pictures of the piece and marks

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I own a  pair of lovely WL (Wong Lee) urns.  Although they are not WLL--as I had hoped--they are very attractive and cohabit nicely with pieces of more delicate linage.   For the price, they are more than acceptable.  Sissi Brandon

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I see diffrences in the marking. in the shape of the crown i beilieve. that is a way to tell one WL from the other WL. am i correct on this?

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

no, they are the same company.  no william lowe mark comes close to this.  'decorative use only' tells one it is new from asia and to never use it for food.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply