cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with dating a "Weatherby Hanley England" Elephant Figural Child's Mug/Cup

Does anyone know the time frame for this particular piece?

I researched the marks for this company (originally J.H. Weatherby & Sons), and am not finding any that are identical to the one on the underside of this piece, which contains a green backstamp with the wording   "Weatherby Hanley England Reg App For".  

The company was founded in 1891 and supposedly were making pieces up through 2000.

It does not have the look or feel of a "newer" piece of china, and based solely upon that suspect it to be at least older than ca 1970s, but am hoping it is even older than that for purposes of "vintage collectibility".

I do think it is somewhat rare, as I have not found any other "animal mugs/cups" by them after researching on the internet for more than 3 hours now (found a handful of figurines and many plates with animal designs, but nothing like this).  

Thanks very much!

DSCN1501.JPGDSCN1513.JPG

antiqueaddicts1967
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Help needed with dating a "Weatherby Hanley England" Elephant Figural Child's Mug/Cup

There are one or two of these on worthpoint.com, but no further information.  I looked at Weatherby marks on www.thepotteries.org.  It doesn't show this one, but it looks like a newer style of mark to me.

Janet

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks Janet!  Smiley Happy

You found the same marks reference site as I did and you are confirming what I've been thinking as well about it being a newer piece.  Just how new is what has me stymied, lol.

I will try to find the WorthPoint ones you referenced.  I came up with zero identical or even similar search results despite using tons of search term variations. 

Regards,

Andrea

antiqueaddicts1967
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Just try Weatherby mug.  Sometimes we get too specific.

Janet

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I have one of these Inew a pig design which I researched and one was sold by anow auction place and the person who had it said she got in 1950s
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This post is from two years ago.  

Janet

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I have a monkey with a saucer that was dated to be 1950 to 1960s by a dealer. however she said that no saucer for the ones she had seenIMG_1826.JPGIMG_1825.JPG. my cup and saucer have the same exact markings as yours. and I received as a gift when I was about 5 yrs old.  1961?  I would love to have more info on it .

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I have a similar cup but of a pig.It did have a yellow fluted saucer but that is long lost. I recieved it as a prize when I was about 2 in 1956 at a pontins holiday camp.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply