cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all Crystal decanter help please

IMG_6425.JPGIMG_6426.JPGIMG_6427.JPGIMG_6428.JPGIMG_6430.JPGIMG_6431.JPGIMG_6432.JPGIMG_6541.JPGIMG_6543.JPG

Hello   I was thinking this was a ship's decanter because of the shape but I can't seem to find one with the same bottom shape   It appears to be crystal as I see nice rainbow refraction in both the top and decanter  What throws me off is the bubble  Is the bottom  indentation a pontil mark or done for the look?  I've never seen one like this before   Would anyone know the possible maker, origin, age, and/or style?  Both the top and the bottom are very heavy!  Thank you for any help age

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The bubble base has me thinking Holmgaard. Thsi was a popular shape in the 1960-70. I would not call it a ships decanterl.
george
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Ugh, I searched and can't find anything Thank you for the hint! It will have to remain a mystery!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I was a bit confused by the last two pics.  The second to last shows a recessed air space, the last a submerged air bubble trapped in the wall?

The elements of this design were originally created by Tapio Wirkkala for iittala / Finland ("Tapio" line).  The design has been copied and **bleep**ized by just about every Eastern European glass maker over the last 40 years.  

Best guess Krosno / Poland, but again, even Asian (Chinese / Indonesian) glass factories are doing this stuff.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thewre is a recessed air space on the bottom and a trapped bubble i the stopper @madamezulu

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Take a look at the Krosno decanters, maybe yes, maybe no, but very close.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I will look at those now tyvm @madamezulu

Message 7 of 7
latest reply