eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
Community Member
Why is Ebay allowing a customer to return an AS IS FOR PARTS OR REPAIR ONLY item for a refund?

I am very upset.  I sold a broken computer last week.
All the information that I listed was true, and I listed it AS IS...
ABSOLUTLEY NO REFUNDS.  I don't know anything about computers, and I posted it for $49.99 FOR PARTS OR REPAIRS ONLY.  The buyer bid about $115, and won.

Today, the buyer contacted me because he found things wrong with it.
He opened a case against me and EBAY chose in his favor.  They are allowing
him to return it for a full refund.

This is ridiculous!  Why even bother posting AS IS if Ebay won't protect sellers from buyers?

Other Answers: 9
pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to popcornandamovie2012

Did the buyer have a specific complaint about the item?

If so, was that defect stated in the listing?

Did you reply to the Case by reiterating the item was listed For Parts Only?

What was the Item Number?

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
annadryl
Community Member
Answered

"no returns" tends to incite buyers. it makes you sound like you won't work with them to make things right, right from the start. they know they can return for almost any reason, so why egg them on?

parts-only and nonworking electronic stuff is extremely sketchy, you might want to re-think the no-return thing. most buyers know better.

Community Member
Answered

Putting "no refunds" in your listing is like spitting into the wind,useless. e-Bay's policies will always win. Buyers have 45 days of protection. After you get your same item back you'll have to refund the cost of the item + the initial shipping that you paid. The buyer is responsible for the cost of shipping the item back to you. My gut feeling is that no matter what you do,you'll end up with negative feedback for this transaction. You really need to re-read all about buying + selling here on e-Bay so you understand how it all works. This will help keep you out of trouble,or being scammed. B-)

Y'all come back now y'hear?
Community Member
Answered

I am very familiar with the policies, and it states that buyers are responsible for reading the listing.  I sold the item AS IS-FOR PARTS OR REPAIR ONLY.  The computer can be fixed or used for parts; so, I shouldn't have to refund his money.

If it was simply a used computer, and I advertised it as such, that would be different, but I made it clear that it didn't work.  Anyone who buys an AS IS item should know that it is just that.

The litem number was: 320933515007

everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures
Community Member
Answered

In you last post......

but I made it clear that it didn't work.

From the listing......

but I made it clear that it didn't work.

So even you cannot decide if it works and needs repair or it doesn't work because now you have also contradicted yourself here.

This is why you have lost the dispute.

Community Member
Answered

No one, including eBay ever said that "as is" or "no refund" will get you off the hook for anything or exempt you from the policies here.

Have you bothered to read the buyer protection policy?? It explains what you are required to refund for and what protections eBay affords the buyer.

Community Member
Answered

Sorry the listing stated......

you will see it that it does work

You stated here that you made it clear it doesn't work, which you did not.

Community Member
Answered

you will see that it does work.

It needs the following repairs:

1 of 3 USB ports is not working-2 do work.

The hinge to the top cover broke, and it is only attached by a few wires. This will have to be repaired. (3rd Picture).

You listed it as.......item conditions

For parts or not working

You have contradicted yourself here and as such is one reason the buyer will win a dispute

If the buyer also found additional things wrong with it besides the USB ports and hinge which were the only things listed.....you will lose a dispute.

meekopla
Community Member
Answered

Is it possible that they are returning a different one back to you ? better check and make sure before you give refund.

" The real secret of happiness is not what you have or what you receive; it's what you share. " - anonymous