• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Answer
sharondutton
Community Member
Can I be forced into giving a refund?

I recently sold a purse and the person who bought it wants a refund.  The listing clearly says no refund accepted.  I was selling it for a friend and the money went into her Paypal account.  I can not give the customer a refund.  She is saying that I listed the purse new and it is used.  I listed the purse as new without tags because it was only worn a few times.  The condition of the bag wasn't damaged.  The customer claims that the bag isn't new so she deserves a refund. She is emailing me aggresively and threatning to get Customer Support to make me give her a refund.  Can I be forced into giving a refund?

Other Answers: 6
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sharondutton

You did everything wrong in this transaction.  The worst of which was selling it as "new without tags."  Used a few times IS NOT NEW.  New without tags means what it says.......it was purchased new, the tags were taken off, and IT WAS NEVER USED.

And yes you will end up giving a refund, and your "no refunds" policy is meaningless on ebay.  If someone opens a case against you, they will win and they will get their refund.

You should not have ignored the reading about ebay that you agreed to do when you signed up.  I suggest you do it before you sell more items.  There are many more obstacles and surprises that await you if you don't learn what you are doing.

terryinstow
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sharondutton

Yes, there is no such thing as 'no refunds' on eBay

sheldragon
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sharondutton

"I listed the purse as new without tags because it was only worn a few times."

If the purse was used only for 30 seconds, let alone a few times, it is no longer new. If an item has been used -- no matter how new it looks -- it is a pre-owned item, NOT new. Unfortunately, I think you left yourself open for this one.

In the future, write it up as being used only a few times and in excellent condition (or EUC -- excellent used condition, but NOT "like new" which is considered search engine manipulation). There are many, many buyers out there who would be thrilled to buy it as EUC.

The important thing is to describe the item as accurately as possible -- for just this reason. The buyer thought they were getting something new WOT, and what they got was EUC. They were upset. Better to be up front and accurate, it will still sell just as easily and your stars won't get dinged.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
bill_and_ellie
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sharondutton

Yes, she will get a refund. That is what eBay Buyer Protection does.

This is one of the reasons not to sell for others. Now this is your headache and your 'friend' has the money.

Tell your friend the bag is being returned and you need the money back to refund this buyer. Hopefully she is a good enough friend to see your dilema. If not, sell the purse again to acquire the money to pay your debt to PayPal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Answers to most questions not dealing with your account can be found here, http://pages.ebay.com/help/index/ALL.html
cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sharondutton

Yes.

When the buyer opens a case - eBay will tell them to return the item (at their expense) and you will have to refund ALL of the buyer's original payment (item + shipping).

That's why it is not a good idea to sell for friends.

And CERTAINLY bad when payment goes to someone else's PayPal account.

YOU will be on the hook for refunding that buyer's money.  Or get your friend to put the money back in their PayPal account so they can refund the buyer.

__________ _________ _________ __________
See my "me" page to learn what smart sellers do.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sharondutton

Welcome to the e-Bay version of "pickle-in-the-middle". Now YOU get to refund and your friend gets to keep all the money. PLUS, who paid the fees for this listing? ;-)

Y'all come back now y'hear?