cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with selling vintage photos

Hello, 

I have a old photobook with black and white pictures. Guessing 1950's. Good condition. A collector is interested. He wants description, how many, content, price etc. They are unusual. I don't want to get ripped off. I love some of the photos. Can anyone share some tips, advice, or point me in the right direction?
I hope I made some sense.

Thanks 📷

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Need help with selling vintage photos

May I ask what is unusual about the pictures?  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

What IS unusual about the photos?

I am not an expert but I so know that certain subjects are more valuable then others

1/ if someone famous in in the picture especially if it has historical signifiance like an historical  events or figure or is autographed / short message on back of photo and of course condition all contributes to fair market value.

2/ iF owner of photo album was famous or a historical figure

suggestion :

you may consider taking photo album to an expert in your area

Also

no one will be able to give you any advice if you can't  offer more details

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

There are many factors that go into valuing a photograph. In the end, it's desirability that counts. What makes a photo desirable is complex and requires experience to evaluate. Here are some guidelines:

Typical family and vacation photos are usually worthless. The exception may be VERY interesting or VERY old dags or ambrotypes.
Circus freaks are often very collectible.
Street/city scenes from across the world CAN sometimes be desirable. $5-$20
"Beefcake" vintage pinup photos can go for some crazy numbers. Gay, lesbian, cross-dressing themes are hot right now. $10-$300 or so
Photos of the dead, provided that they are original, can go for quite a bit. There is a premium for older photos, gruesome photos, photos of the dead from famous tragedies and children. The typical "body in a casket" photo doesn't sell for much. $10-$5,000
Anything from a famous photographer - provided you can prove that it's original. Can sell for tens of thousands.

Bottom line is that photographs are like paintings. Beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder. If you suspect the lot has real value, bring it to an expert who specializes in valuing photo. Don't bring them to a photograph dealer - they will lowball you to get you to sell it to them.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Well said my friend! I love vtg photos. Its all about building a following too

Message 5 of 5
latest reply