eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Use of "Bill me later" Beware

WARNING to anyone who uses the "Bill me Later" feature at Pay Pal (or anywhere else it is accepted). Pay close attention when you check out because BML can reject the charge and pass it back to your primary account without warning. So say for example you were to make that purchase of a nice used boat motor on Ebay for $800 (you have a credit line with BML of $2400), they could deny the charge without warning and put it against your checking account (which only has $798 after the bills). Not to worry because if you have been with Ebay for a time and are confirmed, they will send the money without checking your account for sufficient funds. Once again not to worry (according to a young Asian lady at Ebay customer service) because they will then just put it on your back up card. Unfortunately, if you are like most of the real world, this is going to be your debit card from the same account. As you can see, the bounced fees start to add up fast not to mention the destruction of your good credit rating.

The worst part of all this is when you contact BML to inquire as to what happened, they inform you in a most pleasant tone that it is nothing to worry about because of all the above. When you point out the obvious faults in their logic and request to speak to someone in the credit department, they state it will take 4 business days to resolve and the committee that handles claims does not accept any incoming call or return any outgoing calls.

They say "LET THE BUYER BEWARE" and in the case of "Bill me later", it could not be truer. Please pass this along so as few of my friends and fellow human beings as possible will have to face the mess I dealt with all yesterday morning.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Use of "Bill me later" Beware

in reply to dave_root

Good to know. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

bill me later isn't even available at checkout on ebay for buy it now

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

Thanks for the 411.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

I went thought the exact same thing. DO NOT USE this company. My experience with them was such a nightmare. I contacted BML as to why my payment was rejected and they put the blame on my bank account. I called my bank account and they put the blame on BML. I finally had to conference a 3 way call with BML, my bank account AND Paypal to get to the bottom of it. Once I did that a rep from BML got in touch with her "manager" and said on that day there were some internal system errors and that is why the payment was rejected. Ultimately all they could offer me was an apology. When I read this review I called back and asked it would effect my credit score. They said they only report to the Federal Business Bureau on a monthly basis and since I caught the mistake and there was no penalties on my account I will not have a problem. Bottom line is there is nothing I could do. I made my payment and closed my account with them. Worst experience ever.

Please use plain text.
eBay Employee

in reply to dave_root

Hi dave_root-

We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience.  In the example you provided it sounds like Bill Me Later was the 1st funding source selected through Paypal.  We have many security policies in place, and if one of those is tripped the transaction will be declined. 

After the decline, in the example, it sounds like Paypal turned to the backup funding source, a checking account.  To change your back up funding source please contact Paypal.

When a transaction is declined we ask that you give us a call at 866-528-3733 so we can investigate the matter.

Again, we are very sorry for the frustration you have expressed.

Nicole

Billmelater.com

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

I had a very bad experience with Bill Me Later. I bought a product from ebay 3 mothns ago using paypal, and I recenlty found out that Bill Me Later took care of the payment. I didn't even get any mails or e-mail notification. And now they want me to pay $130 for a $42.99 item. They wouldn't even wave the late fee off. This is clearly not my  fault because I transferred money from my bank account and paid it with my paypal account, and for some reason bill me later took care of it without letting me know about it. Plus the customer service is very bad there. I made them cancel my bill me later account. Such a rip off.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

I am convinced I read in a Bill me Later email that they were going to charge a flat fee for every transacrtion now. Am I right?

thanks              Toby

Please use plain text.
eBay Employee

in reply to dave_root

Hi Tobiasness,

Thanks for asking!

Bill Me Later is available as a funding source at most merchants where PayPal is accepted, and our number of participating PayPal merchants grow every day. You can also use Bill Me Later on eBay with any participating seller.

There is no monthly or annual fee to use Bill Me Later. 

Nicole

Billmelater.com

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

all these posts has me scared to use bill me later..... thanks for the posts and info think this forum saved me a future headache that I would not want.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Bill Me Later transaction fee

in reply to dave_root

Nicole- thanks for your reply, but you really didn't answer my question. I have used Bill Me later and as long as you really do pay it on time it is a good deal.

But I was sure I read something in the last month or so that you were going to charge a small fee when a purchase was made using Bill Me Later.

I realize there is no monthly or annual fee, but i thought I saw this was a once per transaction fee. Now I cant even remember what the amount was.

Is there or is there not a one time transaction fee?

Thanks           Toby

Please use plain text.
eBay Employee

in reply to dave_root

Hi Tobiasness-

You may be thinking of the 2%  installment Purchase Transaction fee.   This fee only applies to transactions that involve a broken down payment plan.  An example is “pay 3 installments of $19.99”  this example would be subject to the 2% Installment Purchase Transaction Fee.

Or the Send Money fee .  When you use Bill Me Later to send money with PayPal, a flat fee of 2.9% + $.30 US dollars (USD) per transaction is included in your payment total. This is the same fee you pay when you use a debit or credit card to send money through PayPal.

Thanks

Nicole

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

Nicole- thanks for clearing that up, thats the trouble when someone like me doesnt really pay attention to what they are reading.

Like any of these deals, it is only a good deal if you really do pay it off. So I would say to someone interested in using it that you should only use it if you are organized enough to pay it off on time.  The big home improvement stores offer similar arrangements with no interest for 12 Months on large purchases and it can be helpful.

Toby

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

I have used bill me later of several items and have never had a problem with it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

i really hope i dont get screwed signing up for this. ill definitely be back/heard if it doesnt work out...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

I would never use bill me later! I made a purchase with last month and when I was checking out I saw Bill Me Later & clicked on the terms. It said if I spent a certain amount that it would be 6 months no interest & no payments. So, I thought why not? Anyways this week I received my statement saying that my minimum payment was $25 & I needed to pay the entire amount by the payment date to avoid interest. So, I e-mailed them to let them know that when I ordered it said 6 months no interest & no payments & they responded & said they did not have any such deal with 1800petmeds. Well, I e-mailed them back and told them I had a picture of the 1800petmeds website with the offer on it & I could e-mail them so they could see & that I didn't feel I should have to pay since it said I wouldn't have to. Then, I got an e-mail saying We have received the promotional terms request regarding your Bill Me Later Account. Once our research is complete, you will receive an email notification. Two minutes later I got another e-mail saying The promotional terms request that was submitted has been completed. The changes, if any, to your Bill Me Later Account will be posted within 24-48 hours. So, I waited over the 48 hours & checked and there is no changes to my account.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

I have a BML credit of $400 and it was declined today and I have no idea why "your Bill Me Later payment was declined" was one and the other one was "Looks like we're unable to authorize your purchase using Bill Me Later®." I don't understand... if I have an allotted credit amount why can't I make my purchase. I committed to buy $60 worth of items and now I cannot and I am very displeased.

TP

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

Oh yes it is!  I use it ALL THE TIME on Ebay for Buy it Now.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root
What difference does it make? The author of the original
Post never even mentioned BUY IT NOW! Smh
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dave_root

Thank you for posting this I live so tight I squeak as a signal mom and can not afford this kind of  thing to happen. I am starting to wonder if  the general thinking is that everyone has extra money to take form  family's. As if we hide money in the walls or something. LOL I am so glad I read this before I was tempted to use it . Thank you! 

Please use plain text.