eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

PAYPAL FUNDS HOLD IS!!!!

[ Edited ]

paypal is holding funds until one of the following things happen
1:The buyer leaves you positive feedback
2:3 days pass after proof the item was delivered**
3:21 days pass without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on the transaction
this is  when i sell somthing on ebay its because im broke and i use the funds from the sell to pay for shipping thats why i got that paypal debit card to make shipping faster since i can withdraw money right away and now i have to do it this way. they should, do it to people with a bad track record not people with 100% pos feedback. anyways, after this crap IM DONE WITH EBAY GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY ITS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

PAYPAL FUNDS HOLD IS CRAP!!!!

in reply to gu_norcal
You need to take it up with Paypal, read their regulations for using from their site, or post ?? on the Paypal board.

You can learn to review books & movies here, but essentially you're on the wrong board to (review) Paypal.
Please use plain text.
bargain_bin00
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
Its called FRAUD....I just hear so many of these and wonder what it takes for people to say they have had enough...
Please use plain text.
bargain_bin00
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
This new so called policy has nothing to do with protection as it does making money and running off private sellers so they can get on with their catalog merchant program....
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
I agree completely. I just sold an item and this is the first time I've been hit with this. This is BS. According to PayPal's guidelines I should NEVER have had a funds hold in the first place.

And, their website specifically states they will hold funds until EITHER:
-The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
-We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

Nowhere does it say that they will hold funds for 3 days AFTER the item was delivered and verified delivered.

I'm not a big seller, but I've always used eBay to sell cell phones and other things I don't need anymore. Since nobody can tell me why the funds were held in the first place, or why they haven't been released, or get their facts straight, then why would I want to use eBay?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
Sorry, wrong place to post, and apparently I can't edit it either...

My apologies...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
I have money on hold in my account for 24 days now.

This is the second time in a row that Paypal freeze my funds and don't release them on time. Last time I also had to fight with them several days after receiving positive feedback for a transaction, and this situation is getting extremely frustrating.

I have 100% positive feedback, and this whole stuff shouldn't apply to good ebayers.

If they want to act as an escrow service (without asking, mind you!!!) at least they should follow their own rules!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
This is the first time I've looked in the community section of ebay. The reason I’m here now is due to the fact that I've just been burnt by the ebay/paypal twins.
Ebay tells you to state a return policy to make buyers more comfortable, great! But a buyer using paypal has the right to completely disregard any stated seller policies and file a claim any time within 45 days and get a refund.
I recently sold a Moto-Q cell phone to someone who is not a newcomer to ebay and sells a lot of cell phones. My return policy clearly posted in my auctions states buyer needs to notify me of any DOA item within 48 hrs of delivery and all sales final after 7 days. This guy gets the phone and after 14 days contacts me that phone won't boot up and came that way. In the mean time while he's in possession, of the phone for 14 days, takes the phone to sprint, before contacting me, they say that software was corrupted and that's why phone won't boot.
My dated auction photos show a fully operating phone.
and I had several email conversations with the buyer I asked him why he did not contact me right away, he never responds and the next thing I know he files a dispute and a claim all in one day! Now I sent to paypal every email that went back and forth and my clearly stated return policy which they saw in my auction along with the dated photos of the phone. This means nothing to them. The phone is now on its way back. PP decided the buyer gets a refund, I get a damaged phone back and to add insult to injury I get the privilege of paying the E-bay final value fee and Paypal fees on the item.
Paypal's decision stated-"We apologize for the difficulties you had with this transaction and truly
hope that you find this resolution to be fair and reasonable for everyone involved"
It's a win-win-win-screw you situation.
Great experience! What good is a sellers return policies if no one needs to respect them?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
i talked to ebay and paypal reps, probably about 3 from each company, 1 was a manager for ebay support - and i kept getting different answers.

ebay says holds are not random and are based on the requirements of 100 feedback comments, detailed seller ratings, etc. they tell me its not random..and even went as far as to say that because i had one auction not held up for funds, yet another was held up 6 days later.

they should be holding funds on both auctions if i dont meet the requirements shouldnt they?

i pointed out the inconsistency, ebay claims its a bug with paypal and they are 'working to resolve this matter' as quickly as possible. my funds however, still stuck.

yet i call paypal and they specifically tell me that these holds are random and i must wait until the shipping confirms - of course i can get the buyer to give positive feedback and funds will be released..but i cant get a hold of the buyer.

to top it off, paypal takes there usual fees up front before these funds are not 'on hold' - and to boot - the buyer for my auction missed the scheduled delivery and now has to pickup at a local canadapost office - so i have to wait even longer now due to his tardiness..

im not a regular seller - just sell when i need to get rid of items i have no use for that could be useful to others.. but after this bs, i dont know if i'll use the ebay/paypal combo again
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
I'm really struggling with this paypal/ebay combination.

I've twice been forced into refunding.. the second time despite proving I had sent a Nokia N95 mobile phone to the buyer. I lost listing fees, delivery fees and a superb mobile phone!

Now they've frozen funds and so far not released them despite positive feedback being sent earlier today.

All this and yet we have to pay them for the "privilege"

Thinking of either rejecting paypal as a payment option.. or just selling on forums.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
Paypal now has a guarantee for the buyers where sellers are responsible to see that a buyer receives the merchandise without breakage. The only responsibility on the buyers part is to return the item to the seller & give Paypal a tracking number. If the buyer breaks it or refuses to take it to the Post Office if broke in shipping, Paypal will freeze the entire amount of money the buyer sent the seller if the buyer gives them a tracking number showing it was returned to the seller & says it was received damaged. The buyer to quote 3 different Paypal people is entitled to get what they paid for. Paypal makes the seller responsible for the shipping company & for crooks that buy. This is a rip off on sellers! The Post Office will not process a claim for the seller unless the buyer shows the buyers Post Office all packing & damage. Sending it back to the seller without showing the buyers Post Office voids the insurance. Bad policy!!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
I state I only ship after I receive a cleared payment.
I had to pay shipping out of pocket for $220.00 and wait wait thank goodness he was an honest buyer 3 weeks later I wrote a letter please pay and I got the payment released
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
i'm very frustrated with this policy. i don't sell much, but when i do, i'd prefer NOT to wait this long for my money. i plan to use my paypal funds to buy more stuff and this is hindering my stuff. yesterday i was left positive feedback and the funds are still on hold, i have 2 items ending today that i'd like to bid on...problem is i'm relying on my paypal balance to be released so that i can bid.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
one more thing, i've been a member for 5 or 6 years. i have 51 feedback, 100% positive. how the hell could i possibly make a "high risk" transaction?

craigslist is really looking like the way to go ebay.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
oops, ok so maybe not 5 or 6 years, but a couple months from 4 years.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
yea I had them holding my funds......and that made ebay charges my back funding bank account that doesnt have enough money in it....so i get overdraft fees from my bank....so now all the money and effort i made from selling on ebay....was like i gave it all away free...and the only people who made money was paypal,ebay,and my bank....we should make our own online auction.....
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
I feel the same way!!!!
If you have good feedback &
Your at 100% they shouldn't
hold your money.It just happened
to me & I've always paid right away
or shipped right away!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
Hi there. I agree completely. This is total crap. I got laid off for 3 months recently, and used every penny I had saved for my self in my savings account to get by, and that still was not enough. So like many people in this situation I came to ebay to sell some stuff I don't need anymore to help me get by. (Just started a new job, still need help though) But oh no, I gotta wait 21 days to access my funds, by which point it will be too late, my rent will be past due, won't have any gas money to get to my new job, and am now scrambling to find something to help myself. I know my issues were not the fault of ebay in any way, I am simply pointing out that these new rules are BADLY hurting your customers, and THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO PROTECT AGAINST FRAUD My last 2 transactions, I have had to make they buyer wait because I have had no way to pay the shipping, THATS THE WHOLE REASON I PUT MY ITEMS ON EBAY IN THE FIRST PLACE, I HAVE NO MONEY AND WITHOUT THE FUNDS I CAN NOT PAY THE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!! This policy is bad, and you are losing me as a customer.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
I had a (have) a problem with Pay-Pal, there holding my money, want me to go to the bank to verify a deposit, that's crap, E-Bay gets there payment from my checking account, they own Pay-Pal, there just doing it so they can hold my (your) money and get interest on it and not pay you anything. This morning,I'm waiting till 9 AM, then I'm going to all my state attorney general and see if I can get him (the state) interested in this scam.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gu_norcal
I was recently wondering why this graph has being going down:

http://trends.google.com/websites?q=ebay.com&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I think now I know: I have 100% positive feedback, ebay seller for 5-6 years, and this is the 4th time I sold server CPUs, and for some reason THIS TIME the funds for the first time have been held by PayPal (the buyer has 100% positive feedback too).

My prediction: even if no competitor emerges, ebay management will kill off the site on its own, with policies like this. They think they are a monopoly, and they can abuse sellers the way they want. Just look at
http://trends.google.com/websites?q=ebay.com&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
Please use plain text.