eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Answer
Community Member
Accepted Solution
PayPal "Sending Limit"

I have been receiving emails from PayPal stating I have almost reached my paypal sending limit of $10,000USD. PayPal puts this limit on all accounts to "prevent fraud and increase security"--whatever that means. I have been bidding and buying on ebay for well over a year now with just my credit card info given to PayPal but now they are requiring me to link my personal checking account number with my credit card in order to "get verified."  If I do not do this, PayPal will not "remove my limit" and I will no longer be able to bid. How does linking my checking account with my credit card prevent fraud and increase my security? They never required that information initially when I opened my PayPal account. Why now? Do they take funds out of my checking account and deposit it to the PayPal account? Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I don't get it!  Giving all my personal information seems so intrusive and I am balking at doing this.   Thank you.

Accepted Solution
sbm-ventures
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

How does linking my checking account with my credit card prevent fraud and increase my security?

It proves who you are, banks generally require many forms of identification before they will let you open an account. The reason for the verification is to prove you are who you say you are. It is actually required by the goverment to prevent money laundering through Paypal.

Other Answers: 9
yoos1980
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

:smileylol:You got that Right! Good Bye E Bay Hello Amazon

oakcliffboy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

Goodbye Ebay. Hello Amazon!. I have been an ebay member for eleven years, with absolutley no problems with paying by credit card. Now they want to know if I really am who I say I am. Give me a break! They are just trying to get people to sign up for their own in house credit cards and be able to meddle in your personal savings account if any thing goes wrong with the transaction. You take all the risk with buying from strangers and Ebay has absolutly no risk.. Tell the truth. You just don't like paying the credit card companies the fees they charge.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

Hi--Thank you to the folks who answered my questions about sending/spending limits and getting verified.  Someone gave me the link to PayPal's extremely easy to understand website with Q and A's about exactly what I was asking about! Thanks to all for your time-so helpful! 

lacemaker3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

PayPal wants to decrease their risk exposure by asking you to provide some proof that you are who you say you are. That's all. If you don't, you will not be able to continue to use PayPal, and since most sellers only accept PayPal, you would be very limited in the items on eBay that are available to you.

You would have the opportunity to pay from your checking account, but you don't have to if you don't want to. The defaullt payment would be from your bank account, but you can always change that to your credit card for each transaction.

FWIW, the information you need to provide to PayPal is printed on every check you write, so it's not like the information is a big secret. It's generally safer to share the information with PayPal (who does not let any sellers or anyone else see it) than it is to pay your utility bill by sending a check through the mail.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

So now, what about a person like me who does not have a US bank account because I live in and shop from Jamaica? Will paypal/ebay alienate the millions of us who actually use the site because they do not have facilities in place for us? That sounds like a counter-productive strategy to me. Imagine the millions of dollars they refuse to accept because they are alienating a significant proportion of their customer base. These dumb policies do more harm than good and I am sure they will eventually realise this!

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

Why now? Because you have reached your lifetime sending limit.

>>>They never required that information initially when I opened my PayPal account.<<<

No, they didn't. Because you hadn't reached...you know.

This info verifies your account to PayPal. If you refuse to do this (like millions of other people have done without any problem whatsoever), then you can't continue to use PayPal.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

I got the same message & am also upset and baffled.  I'll work thru the answers given here & try to puzzle out what to do.  But I really don't get it. 

(1) I'm pretty sure I haven't spent anything like the $10,000 they claim--is there any point in demanding a list of all these supposed payments? ..(2)  They never said a word about this at the beginning, & it seems fishy that they'd bring up now out of the blue.  (3) If my credit card was good enough to charge their supposeded $10,000 on,  why it is suddenly all scary to them--it's not as if a single payyment has everr been declined... 

The message seems so weird to me that I keep thinking it's from some crook claiming to be PayPal who wants a way in to my information.  I understand that they're claiming that they need this extra info to protect themselves, but that really doesn't seem sensible.. Why would they need anything more than a credit card that always pays them.  Isn't the whole point of PayPal that it limits the amount of exposure that you're gertting when you purchase on line?

So I guess what I'd like to know is how to tell is this demand is legit.  Any ideas?   

tklindsay
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

I find myself using Amazon more and more these days.  Prices are very competitive and I don't have to jump through PayPals sending limit hoops.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pasunset10

I'd just buy small things at ebay...so it will take a while to reach the limit....buy big things from Amazon, and Newegg

Amazon is offereing more stuff now a days, nuts and bolts, etc.

That's my way to get around the limit...

Linking bank account is dangerous!