eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

How Many Sellers Feel eBay Hold on PAYPAL Funds is Illegal?

If your buyer were sending you a check or a money order like in the early days of ebay, there would be no question that it's YOUR MONEY and there'd be no waiting on it. Ebay putting a hold of 7-21 days on incoming payments to your PAYPAL account is an unfair trading practice and an ILLEGAL MEANS OF CONTROLLING YOUR FINDS FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME. Call them, write letters, protest, leave eBay altogether if they do not change this very bad policy which adversely affects good sellers. All of this began with the DSRs which allow any buyer(s) to adversely affect sellers by giving them low ratings (1's and 2's). This is in turn results in a hold being placed in your PAYPAL funds for 7-21 days. Just happened to me and I am a 14-YEAR EBAY VETERAN WITH 4,600 POSITIVE FEEDBACKS. Phone calls to ebay and PAYPAL have been frustrating and fruitless. 

Please use plain text.
blue_eyes_james
Community Member

Re: How Many Sellers Feel eBay Hold on PAYPAL Funds is Illegal?

in reply to gideon13

How Many Boardies Feel the Poll is Unbalanced? :^O

❍ I Think It Is

❍ I Feel It Is

❍ I Know It Is

photo noweaintgottimeforboring.jpg
Please use plain text.
fshardy
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

We need a poll option which states:

How many people realise that in transferring money from the buyer to the seller, PayPal is acting as the buyer's agent?

Please use plain text.
the_right_stuff99
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

If you think it's illegal, talk to the Feds. Or do you know you're wrong, so you make a poll because you know the results will make you feel better?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

No, i plan on contacting the Attorney General in my state about this matter today. And writing to my Representatives. The hold placed on my funds is unjustified (stemming from a couple of 1's and 2's left on the DSRs at the caprice of anonymous buyers). I talked to two people on the phone at eBay (both reading from a script and talking corporate doubletalk) and one at PAYPAL tghis guy was nice and made sense).You or anybody else can look at my DSRs and see the extremely high rating, and you can see the almost 4,600 positive feedbacks done over a 14 year period as a seller. I ship same day or next day when i receive a payment, I rarely have to refund or replace and have done so the once every 6 months or so that that may happen.  Apparently this is happening to a lot of people- experienced veteran sellers like me with high feedback ratings. This issue is whether eBay can LEGALLY place a hold on your funds. That's YOUR money. It's your merchandise that the buyer is ordering, eBay is merely the venue and ebay gets paid each month when they invoice you and get their percent of tyour sale, and PAYPAL makes money off each transaction as well. Back when people sent checks and money orders (first few years of ebay) there was no way ebay could control your funds. Think about that.

Please use plain text.
kathrynscollectibles
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

I'm a 15 year seller on eBay and Paypal also sent me a notice that they were holding my funds...

it lasted for an entire week, then it was removed.

I survived it.

"i plan on contacting the Attorney General in my state about this matter today. And writing to my Representatives."

When you get a chance, let us know what law they are breaking, and just so you know, your belief that it is illegal, doesn't make it illegal.

“As a general rule, if you want to get at the truth — hear both sides and believe neither.” Josh Billings
Please use plain text.
the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

The fact that the funds are being held has little to do with the buyers and everything to do with Paypal CHOOSING to use a few lower ratings as an excuse to keep your money.

Anyway, you agreed to the hold as port of the things you accept when you use the site. I don't know why you think it would be illegal.  It sucks, yes, but illegal?  You agreed to it.

Please use plain text.
ausgeoff1946
Community Member

Good ol' days... ahhhhh

in reply to gideon13

Back when people sent checks and money orders (first few years of eBay) there was no way eBay could control your funds.

Yeah... I remember back in the day when you could get a cup of coffee for 15¢ and the morning paper was 4¢.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

From a legal point of view, agreeing to something does not necessarilly make it legal. The main problem that I have with this was that ALL OF A SUDDEN without warning after me selling for 14 years and amassing right at 4,600 positive feedbacks, they did this hold thing. It is basically a slap in the face and I don't know any longtime seller on here who WOULDN'T take it as a personal affront. It shows lack of appreciation on ebay's part for the little guy. Not being a huge corporate entity with deep pockets, I rely upon the funds when buyers pay for things to pay the shipping costs. I have yet to read or see a seller who is happy with this hold thing, and the only people who benefit during the hold is PAYPAL's corporate bank account drawing interest. I have read numerous posts all over the place by dealers who have experienced this and they all had the same sentiments/reactions to it that I am having. Ebay was around from 1995-2008 before they started the DSR thing, and millions of sellers and buyers were doing just fine.

As I mentiond earlier, I have been ebaying since 1999 and this weekend was the first time a hold was ever placed on my PAYPAL funds.  

Please use plain text.
the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

Nearly all of us think it's terrible. Especially holds on people who have proven track records.  The fact that it's morally questionable does not make it illegal though.

Please use plain text.
triyarn
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

From a legal point of view, agreeing to something does not necessarily make it legal.

Not liking something does not make it illegal either.

No one wants their funds held but it isn't personal, it's business. CC processors hold the funds of sellers who have a history of issues, PP is no different. Each company has their own definition of "issues."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.
Please use plain text.
poopeyhead
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

The reason it's legal is that the user agrees to it when they sign up to use the service, it's called fine print and folks have been ignoring it when they sign up for things since the beginning of time...and complaining when they have agreed to something they didn't want to agree to also.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

Well PARTIAL good news (for now at least, and for me, at least, can't speak for other sellers). The hold only appears to be on stuff paid for over the weekend. Unfortunately, that's a decent chunk of change. Inexplicably, the hold apparently did not apply to stuff people paid for yesterday and today (3 fairly small sales) and I was able to successfully transfer the unheld funds straight to my checking account. Still waiting, of course,on the funds that still have the hold on them, Those items have all been shipped and I did tracking on the biggest sale and uploaded the tracking info into eBay based on something somebody said somewhere that that MIGHT cause those funds to release sooner.

Please use plain text.
blue_eyes_james
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

Not being a huge corporate entity with deep pockets, I rely upon the funds when buyers pay for things to pay the shipping costs. 

Whether you're a big corporation or Grandma selling her knitted doilies, all sellers should have funds on hand for shipping, supplies, refunds, whatever. Hand-to-mouth doesn't work on eBay or in any kind of business.

(Well I'm sure there's something...)

photo noweaintgottimeforboring.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

Some people here are missing the point. For 14 years I could sell $100 worth of stuff on ebay on a Saturday night, on Sunday and Monday most buyers would have paid for the items, my money would be on PAYPAL, I could then use my PAYPAL card to pay for shipping the items at the Post Office, having lunch somewhere, putting gas in the car, whatever, and now all of the sudden out of the blue there is an indefiinte 7-21 day hold on some of the funds. Again, I have not had a series of issues at any time on ebay, have very rarely ever had to refund or replace (like maybe once or twice every 6 months), have a 98% positive feedback rating that is now at 4,600.  I was told that the reason for the hold was 4 low DSR ratings (out of 168 mind you) and that this fractional percentage was enough cause a hold on PAYPAL funds to kick in. Nowhere else in the retail world (that I know of) can this kind of thing take place. I just want instant access to the payments I am rightly entitled to and have had access to for 14 years. For the thousands of sellers on eBay for many, many years, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well guess what, it wasn't broke, eBay.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

We need a poll option which states:

How many people realise that in transferring money from the buyer to the seller, PayPal is acting as the buyer's agent?

WHY would the buyer need an agent? They never did in the past and ebay made just as much money without the extra intrest..that makes no sense...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

I just want instant access to the payments I am rightly entitled to and have had access to for 14 years. For the thousands of sellers on eBay for many, many years, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well guess what, it wasn't broke, eBay.

Yes, it was broke. I remeber the days when checks and money orders were OK, and there were no holds. At that time, eBay/paypal would only guarentee refunds up to $25.00. Anything over that - well, if the seller took your check/money order, or transfered/spent their paypal balance, the buyer was on their own to pursue the seller for the rest of the money they had sent.

In the current system, if the buyer has a problem with the item, or never recieves it, they can file a SNAD or INR dispute with the assurance that if they win the dispute, their full payment will be refunded.

And that's what the Hold is all about - making sure the buyer can be refunded when the seller has a less than stellar record.

And eBay/Paypal onlly look at the Seller's record for the LAST YEAR. So, the years before that don't count. This can be bad, if you have a run of bad buyers this year, but it can be good if you had problems in the past that are now ignored.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

Unfortunately, as things now stand, you can be a stellar seller for 14 years with 4600 positive feedbacks, and if a couple of your buyers leave you 1's and 2's on your DSRs, a hold gets slapped on your paypal funds and selling limits get placed on you until you raise your DSRs (which are at the whim and caprice of the buyer what they want to leave you). That's what I don't like the DSR thing (who does) and think it is primarily an invented mechanism to provide ebay an excuse to put a hold on paypal funds.

Please use plain text.
oscodapete
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

I went from TRS to eBay "scumbag" in little over two weeks. I've been a member since

November 2002 and this is the first time a hold has been placed on my funds. Tried explaining to several eBay persons that my DSRs are high, my feedback is 6,000+, and I have sold over $350,000. That meant nothing to them. I even mentioned my last evaluation Status on April 20 said I was "standard". I was told my status was changed to "below standard" because I had 2 negative feedbacks. That's when I blew up and hung up..

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

I have done very well on Amazon and would recommend the same for you. Ebay just showed you and thousands of other sellers how much they appreciate you...

Please use plain text.