eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

komokwa
Community Member

Re: eBay scams on news?

in reply to dgnuzlilah

how they optained the items (if they are stolen or not)

In what word do you come from where they are going to admit that the items are stolen ?

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
dgnuzlilah
Community Member

in reply to 123papapatrick

The scam is when the (individual that sent you the itemS to list/sell)  does not have/will give you thier name/address/phone number, how they optained the items (if they are stolen or not), where the items ship from(if they ever ship at all, or ship  an empty box).  They want you to pay for the items and then wait (you will never receive) for tracking numbers.  They also cannot/will not prove that they even have items in the first place and then get irate if you ask them.  I callenge anyone to conversate with one of these scammers and get back to me about your experience.  I found many of these scammers on a site called: freelancer.

123papapatrick wrote:

Evening news had eBay buyer scam sending out PayPal logo emails after using "Buy it now" telling sellers item paid. Then news showed video surveillance of three women shoplifting massive bottles of perfume and buying one to show receipt when exiting stores. Seems the feds have been chasing these three shoplifters for a while and internet is their unregulated pawn shop for stollen items. We all know these scams are going on; but in the 6 o'clock news makes it hard for the honest sellers. Seriously $120.00 bottle of perfume for 99 cents NR?

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

Re: Retail executives partnered with eBay

ebay could care less.....think of the fees they made on those stolen goods!

think they'll lose any money on that one.............nope !

Please use plain text.
123papapatrick
Community Member

Retail executives partnered with eBay

Retail executives partnered with eBay. CHICAGO – A father, mother, and daughter teamed up and allegedly shoplifted $7 million worth of merchandise across multiple states and then sold the items on eBay. Ebay got involved after loss prevention executives at Barnes and Noble and Toys R Us reported that there stores were losing a large amount of merchandise, including American Girl dolls, Furby robotic toys, Legos, and baby monitors. Investigators say the family started their latest spree in October of 2012 when they hit up stores in Tennessee, eventually making their way to Norman, Oklahoma this past February, and was ongoing over the past 10 years. According to the complaint, they had sold $3.4 million in merchandise with an estimated minimum retail value of $7 million. All sold over half off retail prices.

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to spiritedrose22

Good morning SpiritedRose...

eBay also recommends refunding the buyer without having them return the item in a SNAD dispute.

We don't always listen to eBay....

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
spiritedrose22
Community Member

You do realize eBay suggests starting items at .99, right?
Please use plain text.
flywelstore
Community Member

in reply to hondamedic
What about Promethius? Do you think he would have sold his fire on eBay at 0.99??

:smileyhappy:

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom. ~ Sir Terry Pratchett
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to skullywag64

Just in case you think this is something "new":

Ephesians 4:28 - Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with [his] hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Exodus 20:15 - Thou shalt not steal.

Leviticus 19:11 - Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.

Exodus 22:7 - If a man shall deliver unto his neighbour money or stuff to keep, and it be stolen out of the man's house; if the thief be found, let him pay double.

Proverbs 10:2 - Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivereth from death.

Romans 13:9 - For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Proverbs 12:22 - Lying lips [are] abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly [are] his delight.

Jeremiah 7:9-11 - Will ye steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and burn incense unto Baal, and walk after other gods whom ye know not;   (Read More...)

Leviticus 6:2 - If a soul sin, and commit a trespass against the LORD, and lie unto his neighbour in that which was delivered him to keep, or in fellowship, or in a thing taken away by violence, or hath deceived his neighbour;

1 Timothy 6:10 - For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Psalms 62:10 - Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart [upon them].

Luke 19:8 - And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore [him] fourfold.

Matthew 19:18 - He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Mark 10:19 - Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

John 10:10 - The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have [it] more abundantly.

Leviticus 6:2-3 - If a soul sin, and commit a trespass against the LORD, and lie unto his neighbour in that which was delivered him to keep, or in fellowship, or in a thing taken away by violence, or hath deceived his neighbour;   (Read More...)

James 4:1-17 - From whence [come] wars and fightings among you? [come they] not hence, [even] of your lusts that war in your members?   (Read More...)

Hosea 7:1-3 - When I would have healed Israel, then the iniquity of Ephraim was discovered, and the wickedness of Samaria: for they commit falsehood; and the thief cometh in, [and] the troop of robbers spoileth without.   (Read More...)

Proverbs 30:8-9 - Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:   (Read More...)

Leviticus 6:2-7 - If a soul sin, and commit a trespass against the LORD, and lie unto his neighbour in that which was delivered him to keep, or in fellowship, or in a thing taken away by violence, or hath deceived his neighbour;   (Read More...)

John 10:7-10 - Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.   (Read More...)

Exodus 22:25-27 - If thou lend money to [any of] my people [that is] poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.   (Read More...)

Malachi 3:8 - Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Romans 13:7 - Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute [is due]; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Isaiah 38:17 - Behold, for peace I had great bitterness: but thou hast in love to my soul [delivered it] from the pit of corruption: for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back.

Psalms 109:2 - For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

123papapatrick wrote:

Evening news had eBay buyer scam sending out PayPal logo emails after using "Buy it now" telling sellers item paid. Then news showed video surveillance of three women shoplifting massive bottles of perfume and buying one to show receipt when exiting stores.

They have been doing that with TVs at Walmart for years, they caught a guy at my store who had wheeled out 5 big screen tvs (one at a time) with one receipt....the IDIOTS now put razor blades and DVDs behind locked cabinets, but still leave TVs on a pallet center of the aisle. 

Go figure.

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to billy_biggle_fan

Funny, I just saw a "Warning" on the news about a product and how to tell if it's fake, if it's sold at a stupermarket or pharmacy it's fake as they only sell to salon's.... So if it's sold on eBay is it fake?

Caveat emptor

Please use plain text.
billy_biggle_fan
Community Member

It's called fencing.

And it's quite a common crime both in retail stores (the shoplifting part) and online (the selling part).  People used to do this with pawn shops and used item stores a lot.  They still do, but online selling has made flipping the items much easier.

It has also made catching the criminals easier, if the investigators can find where the items are being sold.  And by crossing state lines and using the Post Office or a private carrier, the charges become federal.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to anonymoose99

No it's not !!!!

His post is talking about shoplifters and scammers.....

"Seems the feds have been chasing these three shoplifters for a while and internet is their unregulated pawn shop for stollen items."

You're taking one sentence out of context !   Just to make your point...!

THAT'S WRONG !

imo...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

komokwa wrote:

No , he's saying that crooks who DO shoplift don't bother dicking around with what the lowest price they'll accept is , and just list at 99 cents.....and take the money they can get.

It's nothing new though....I saw a report of cosmetic shoplifters doing this years ago on Dateline.

The OP said:

"Seriously $120.00 bottle of perfume for 99 cents NR?"

That's painting anyone who prices things that way with the same brush (i.e. selling stolen merchandise).

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to anonymoose99

No , he's saying that crooks who DO shoplift don't bother dicking around with what the lowest price they'll accept is , and just list at 99 cents.....and take the money they can get.

It's nothing new though....I saw a report of cosmetic shoplifters doing this years ago on Dateline.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

123papapatrick wrote:

Evening news had eBay buyer scam sending out PayPal logo emails after using "Buy it now" telling sellers item paid. Then news showed video surveillance of three women shoplifting massive bottles of perfume and buying one to show receipt when exiting stores. Seems the feds have been chasing these three shoplifters for a while and internet is their unregulated pawn shop for stollen items. We all know these scams are going on; but in the 6 o'clock news makes it hard for the honest sellers. Seriously $120.00 bottle of perfume for 99 cents NR?

The PayPal email scam has been going on for quite a few years.

And I have no idea what a group of shoplifters has to do with 99 cent listings on eBay. Are you saying that anyone who lists an expensive item for 99 cents must have shoplifted it?

Please use plain text.
123papapatrick
Community Member

eBay scams on news?

Please use plain text.