cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

eBay is like dealing with the government. HEY...eBAY! LOWER YOUR FRIGGEN FEES. I used to not charge the people for shipping, but now I do. Just to offset your HIGH fees!!!!

I have been using Craigslist more and more. I think more and more people will start to get away from eBay, which is a shame. They are doing it to themselves.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 106 of 438
latest reply

The thing I have about eBay that makes me deal with the fees is coverage. I get more impressions in a day than I could if I listed my item on Craigslist or any other free classified site in my area.

A lot of the stuff I sell is liquidated merchandise. If stores around here have stuff they've been sitting on too long I go in and buy what I can afford for pennies on the dollar. Obviously, I can't turn around and sell this stuff to the same market that the store was. If it didn't work for them then how will it be any better for me?

Instead I list this stuff on eBay and about 2/3 of it winds up going to metropolitan areas where the demand is greater and the prices there tend to be higher than mine.

I live in a relatively rural area and in most cases potential buyers would be 30+ miles away meaning I would have to spend more money in gas than I would be paying in eBay fees. Even if I shipped the stuff, using Craigslist would be painting a target on my back for all sorts of scams.

Yes, the fees can seem pretty high but I really couldn't do it any other way. There are other websites but they charge pretty much the same rates.

My $.02 is when planning a listing or contemplating a purchase with the intent on resell I like to know exactly what kind of return I can expect for my efforts. A quick completed listing search can tell me really quick wether or not something's worth it. I can find out the high/low/average closing prices as well as how popular the item in question is. If  I see a lot of red numbers I'm more likely to put the item back. If I see a lot of green I find the average and work off the lower end of that.

From there I use this basic setup.

(Expected sale price *.85) - cost of item - est. cost of shipping = potential profit.

Granted, that's a rough formula and doesn't usually get me an exact figure, but it gives me a rough idea of wether or not it would be a good investment. If I can't turn a decent profit on it I usually pass.

Message 107 of 438
latest reply

I agree the fees are to expensive.

Message 108 of 438
latest reply

illinois109737
Enthusiast

Agreed!, I haven't sold on eBay in years... I was shocked when I found the total from ebay and Paypal.... then Paypal are further gouging me by demanding my bank details so THEY don't have to pay the fees and 'I' don't get my cc rewards... poor show... I suppose Big Business messes all good models when they get greedy!!!

Message 109 of 438
latest reply

Ebay and Paypal are good companies,It's the jokers within those companies that is running it,that will soon lead it to destruction.The one biggest mistake they made was making ? for president.Ebay anymore,is a waste of time and money.

Message 110 of 438
latest reply

I haven't sold much on ebay in recent years but last week I sold a 280 laptop and got hit with fees from ebay and paypal totaling nearly $40. WOW they are really out of control! Not sure how they can justify that high of fees.

Message 111 of 438
latest reply

I am listing fewer and fewer books b/c the fees on books are excessive-plus the big companies come in and sell some books for $1.00!!

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies" Gene Hill
Message 112 of 438
latest reply

mark_in_sopo
Enthusiast

I know this discussion started more than 2 years ago, but as an occasional 'drop in' type of ebay user, I shocked at my recent selling fees and have to comment. For a completely 'self-service' process, it seems out-of-line to me. Leaving my 2 cents behind as I go to Craig's domain. Thanks Ebay for pioneering the way, but greed (and too much bureaucracy will ruin anything. Best of luck to all you ebayers moving forward...see you out in the wild (and more reasonably priced) forests of the 'net.

Message 113 of 438
latest reply

danzonetech
Enthusiast

Yes. I agree. ebay + PayPal is around 10% charges and seller have to take the risk on PayPal chargeback. End up. you make almost nothing if you selling $400-$500 electronic/computer item.

If you want to sell something on ebay, you better sell something very cheap like dollars store or you better sell something very expensive with high profit or you are selling junk that cost you nothing.

ridiculous, isn't it.

Message 114 of 438
latest reply

Where in Canada you call home? Lotsa Kanucks here!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 115 of 438
latest reply

eBay's fees in conjunction with paypal is ridiculous. I would accept the 9% fee if paypal didn't tack on an additional 3.8%.

eBay owns Paypal and it is completely unfair that they are double dipping in our revenues. For paypal, at lest take the 3.8% from (final value less the 9% ebay fee). This is absurd.

Message 116 of 438
latest reply

They also shouldn't take 9% of shipping costs. If I marked my shipping costs up 9% to makeup for eBay's fees, then sellers would think that I am cheating them on shipping.

Message 117 of 438
latest reply

e.pedro
Enthusiast

I will not use ebay to sell anything else. I have been stolen from eBay and Paypal. I just lost almost 25%!!! Surpriiise. Watch out Paypal currency conversions. it is a fiasco! Bahh. thumbs down

Message 118 of 438
latest reply

$5200,00 in sales last month. Between Ebay and paypal they took $962.00. Thats 18%!! And you got to compete with other sellers that sell things for nothing. You cant raise prices or your not going to sell anything. And top raited seller is not possible anymore. Every idiot filing claims cause the post office loses items UPS breaks items and the others trying to use there system to get there money back. And there is no way I can ship stuff within 24 hours.I have a life. With overhead supplies and ebays fees I took home a wopping 1000 bucks for the month. Ebay would be good if I was shoplifting at walbarn getting stuff for free. But to buy and resell on the site is tuff with those kind of fees. I talked to a rep from ebay and he said thats how it is with a big corporate bussiness. Rob the poor to make them rich. You guys,girls that love paying the fees are crazy. Yes you can rag on me for this comment. You think its great. I have had this happen before posting my comments on here. The funny thing is 6 months down the road I see these people are a non registered user. They probley could not afford to pay the ebay bill so Ebay booted them. I have also noticed as there fees go up you see less and less of the things you could find on the site just a few years ago. And  what do you get out of paying them so much money. 2 hours on the phone fixing a bogus claim. Bad feedback for the shipping carriers fouling up deliveries after ebay decides in your favor. This week alone I have had 1 claim for feedback extortion they wanted a partial refund or more items sent or bad feed was going to be left and the post office losing a box. ill probley get neg feedback yet. And the shipping insurance is a joke. Pay 3-5 bucks a item for insurance all year for 1000 items 3-5000 bucks a year. And they screw up 10 things a year 1000 bucks for me to replace the item v's paying the insurance. And you file a insurance claim with them is a bigger joke. 99.9% of the time they say insuffisant packaging. And thats bs on my end we pack stuff over and beyond.  

Message 119 of 438
latest reply

$5200,00 in sales last month. Between Ebay and paypal they took $962.00. Thats 18%!! And you got to compete with other sellers that sell things for nothing. You cant raise prices or your not going to sell anything. And top raited seller is not possible anymore. Every idiot filing claims cause the post office loses items UPS breaks items and the others trying to use there system to get there money back. And there is no way I can ship stuff within 24 hours.I have a life. With overhead supplies and ebays fees I took home a wopping 1000 bucks for the month. Ebay would be good if I was shoplifting at walbarn getting stuff for free. But to buy and resell on the site is tuff with those kind of fees. I talked to a rep from ebay and he said thats how it is with a big corporate bussiness. Rob the poor to make them rich. You guys,girls that love paying the fees are crazy. Yes you can rag on me for this comment. You think its great. I have had this happen before posting my comments on here. The funny thing is 6 months down the road I see these people are a non registered user. They probley could not afford to pay the ebay bill so Ebay booted them. I have also noticed as there fees go up you see less and less of the things you could find on the site just a few years ago. And  what do you get out of paying them so much money. 2 hours on the phone fixing a bogus claim. Bad feedback for the shipping carriers fouling up deliveries after ebay decides in your favor. This week alone I have had 1 claim for feedback extortion they wanted a partial refund or more items sent or bad feed was going to be left and the post office losing a box. ill probley get neg feedback yet. And the shipping insurance is a joke. Pay 3-5 bucks a item for insurance all year for 1000 items 3-5000 bucks a year. And they screw up 10 things a year 1000 bucks for me to replace the item v's paying the insurance. And you file a insurance claim with them is a bigger joke. 99.9% of the time they say insuffisant packaging. And thats bs on my end we pack stuff over and beyond.  

Well said...whatever you said. I didn't read it...

Message 120 of 438
latest reply