cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

rod226372
Enthusiast

I agree 100%  .. I sold on ebay for over a year when they first started and they were reasonable but I have been gone for 10 years it seems and now its "Outrageous". I just started last wekk sold 142.00 and they charged me 36.51 not counting Pay Pal fees?.. i dont understand it used to be such a small amount like 3-5% .. im quitting ebay and starting another free or nearly free site such as craigslist or others i've heard of.

Message 61 of 438
latest reply

rod226372
Enthusiast

LOL!... right!... add packageing - fuel- time- wear and tear- etc..  "ebay does not handle a dam thing ..we do all the work etc.. and they make all the money just by being an internet site auction.. surely there must be another online auction that is smaller or charges less.

Message 62 of 438
latest reply

I agree 100%  .. I sold on ebay for over a year when they first started and they were reasonable but I have been gone for 10 years it seems and now its "Outrageous". I just started last wekk sold 142.00 and they charged me 36.51 not counting Pay Pal fees?.. i dont understand it used to be such a small amount like 3-5% .. im quitting ebay and starting another free or nearly free site such as craigslist or others i've heard of.

My friend...while I am not disagreeing with the high fees I must say that your saying eBay charged you 26%? That's double what the true fees are. Either you are having a listing issue with high listing fees or eBay messed up your invoice. The object of the game is to sell with Zero or minimum listing fees... As .50¢ or free auction listings. The average fee is 9-12%...not 26%.

Message 63 of 438
latest reply

yeppers 26 percent seems weird....something is wrong somewhere I think my next billing is like 36 bucks and I definately came out  ok.But yes more would have been better

Yea the fees suck but still trying to make a few bucks

Message 64 of 438
latest reply

As a long time part time seller, I believe the fees are reasonable if you do your research and keep your listing fees down.  The real solution to fixing this problem is to offer a fee discount if you ship through ebay's service, they will know how much you really spent and eliminate the .99/100 shipping fraud.  They could charge the fee on the final value minus the actual shipping charge, this should be reasonable to everyone and encourage more repeat small sellers.

Message 65 of 438
latest reply

I've read this posting or at least most of it. I too sold a few years ago and now see the fees, the forced Paypal and am somewhat upset about it all. Fierst and formost I don't see where they get off charging final value fees on shipping. I used to just charge my cost for shipping, now I don't think I can, nor can I let the paypal charges go.

I am thinking of including a buyers premuim as is done in tradtional auctions, perhaps the standard 10% to cover the excess fees Ebay is charging. After all, I'm not making 84% profit, i bought these items, often cleaned, fixed or handled them, my time listing and shipping has value, so how much actual profit is there after Ebay takes their bite?

Anyway, have others used the buyers premuim ? and perhaps a discount for other methods of payment?

Which one is not allowed to advertise acceptance in their listings....

LAz 

Message 66 of 438
latest reply

Good morning lazlobassett and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

So you haven't sold in a year> http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=lazlobassett&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

And you're selling inoperative engine parts as used with no returns and no shipping information?> http://www.ebay.com/itm/320865448455

My ID reflects over 40 years in the automotive trade and I've tried to stay abreast of all the ins-'n-outs of eBay & PayPal over the years. IMO you will have all kinds of issues with auctions like above. While I think your handiwork to prep that carb for sale commendable, you've listed it as "Used" when it is clearly "For parts or not working" > http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html#pa

My opinion is you do a bit more reading and learn more about how to list properly than worry about how much you can make. The reason I say this if someone bids on that carb right now you cannot revise the listing to add S&H info and if they win you will be forced to ship at your expense. When they receive it they will file a SNAD and eBay will find in their favor. You will be forced to refund the 10 bucks and eBay may not require it's return.

And on a professional note...I would never use a glass beader on carbs as you may not remove the glass pieces that find their way into the deep recesses of the passageways. GUNK cc3k will clean them without this worry> http://www.gunk.com/products/cat_det.asp

Hope this helps and good luck!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 67 of 438
latest reply

Hmmm.... Gee honda, not very on topic was your response? Did you see the topic here? You know the one above your post?

I quote you:

"My opinion is you do a bit more reading and learn more about how to list properly than worry about how much you can make."

My reason for being here is , actually, to make money.

I'm not sure why you are here although I suspect from this response and others I have read that you are a Shill for Ebay.

I have been a member since 2000 with 100% positive feedback on over 450 transactions, so I have done one or two things right.

I would appreciate it if you would keep your off topic opinions to yourself. I'll be sure to let you know when I need a critique of my methods. 

I wrote to voice my objections to the fees levied by Ebay and to hear others reactions to the same.   

PS: cleaning a 1940's carb isn't exactly a great challenge, well, not for me. I would not consider glass beading some newer japanese carb. FYI.    

Message 68 of 438
latest reply

O-Key-Dough-Key! Sorry if I was off topic... Many times my posts address the wrong issues. I apologize if I offended.

Good luck with those auctions!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 69 of 438
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

@ lazlobassett... first off, welcome to the Part-Time Sellers Forum.

Honda stated that you should do a bit more reading and learn more about how to properly list your items... he was correct.

You stated that you are here to make money... we all are.

You accused honda of being an eBay shill ...

put a rubber band around your head and snap out of it. Look at honda's posting history and I hope that you would change your opinion.

I have also been a seller since 2000, with 100% Feedback and 3758 transactions... if I can offer you a helpful suggestion, as honda did, I will. If you want to act like an idiot in return... so be it.

As for honda's reply being off-topic, you are new here and you will learn that threads evolve. Opinions are given, whether asked for or not. Take what is offered and use what works for you. It is your choice to learn from the critique... or simply snivel, no need to insult those who are trying to help you.

In closing, you wrote to voice your opinion about your displeasure with the fees being charged. Fine, I'll buy that, but at the end of day the fees are posted. They are common knowledge... if you do not feel that eBay meets your needs, as a seller, you may well want to look elsewhere. The choice is entirely up to you.

Best of luck going forward.

Message 70 of 438
latest reply

lazlobassett- I'm not sure a discount for other forms of payment is "legal" by ebay standards.. although I certainly understand what you're saying...

As for buyers premiums - I'm not sure about that from a rules standpoint, but I can offer my personal opinion - No. I think buyer's premiums are rarely received with a good feeling, and they are perceived as "tax", or "handling fees". Nobody wants to pay tax or handling fees at auctions. No matter how it's presented, or explained.

That's how I see it, anyway.

If you "collect" things, and you are not a part time ebay seller, well... you're just a hoarder.
Message 71 of 438
latest reply

lazlobassett: Well, look what we have here. A new gringo to the board with big attitude and no respect for anyone that is not of the same opinion. I believe most people are here because :

Overall Rating
The top spot for online auction service goes to eBay, the largest and most complete online auction venue in the world. But more than being the most popular and having even become a household name, eBay’s long time experience, exposure and membership gives them the clout they deserve.
We found eBay’s large selection of categories, detailed buyer information, custom selling options and user management features to stand far above the competition. And while eBay has suffered user complaints and has higher selling fees, it still offers significantly more for both buyers and sellers than any other online auction service available. That is why this is our TopTenREVIEWS Gold Award winner for online auction sites.

Message 72 of 438
latest reply

I thought fixing his listings quickly more important than making money, but I guess I was wrong> http://www.ebay.com/sch/lazlobassett/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Two of the items, with no S&H info, have been bid on and the third is listed as Local Pickup Only. Can't wait for the clutch auction to end.... I see two scenarios:

• The first is seller boxing it up, running to the PO to get shipping cost then sending an invoice with it added. Anyone know where that's gonna lead?Photobucket

• The second is after the auction closes the seller pays the shipping cost. While I don't know the exact weight of the clutch assy. I know it ain't light! His concern with making money will be severly hampered with the shipping cost deducted from the total. 

I will address his questions in case he returns.

Anyway, have others used the buyers premuim ?

In looking into this, as the seller noted, it is used in traditional auction houses to cover their costs like having sports cards professionally graded. It is tacked on to the price after the gavel falls. We all know you can't tack on anything to the price when the auction ends.

perhaps a discount for other methods of payment?

And how would you go about that? Posting in the auction if the bidder pays by USPS MO they get 3% discount? Yea, right! Even if it did get past eBay the seller would pay FVF's on the whole amount off setting the savings in PayPal fees.

Again I apoligize for not posting that originally. My thought process was to help the seller prevent the issues that may occur due to the slap-dash listings. I hope none of this happens and I wish the seller good luck with his auctions.

Message 73 of 438
latest reply

Right after I posted this I thought; self, ya’ know that could be taken the wrong way, you should fix that.

But I was lazy and figured all of the regular posters would know what I meant anyway.  Well now I thought about it again today so obviously it will bug me until I fix it.  😐

“amount of nasty you old timers get when” should read

“amount of nasty you old timers get from the poster you are trying to help”

There we go.  I’m sure you all knew what I meant anyway but now I won’t worry about anyone misunderstanding that very unclear first statement.   

Message 74 of 438
latest reply

😉 :8}

.Photobucket

Message 75 of 438
latest reply