cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Hi WhiteShark & welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

I'm trying to figure this 1 out... You took in $178 & paid out almost $100 in fees? Most sellers experience 10 to 15 percent fees not 40 to 50%? Are you using a lot of extras that incur additional fees?
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 31 of 438
latest reply

stefs_clothing
Adventurer

Hi WhiteShark & welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

I'm trying to figure this 1 out... You took in $178 & paid out almost $100 in fees? Most sellers experience 10 to 15 percent fees not 40 to 50%? Are you using a lot of extras that incur additional fees?

56% actually. That seems excessive. How did I not see this yesterday?

Just looked at some things.

Whiteshark, looks like you are possibly paying a lot in listing fees but not making up for them in sales.

For example, when you list a 30 day BIN (Buy It Now) and use a subtitle, that subtitle costs you $1.50. You have 26 BINs with a subtitle up right now. That's $34.50 JUST in subtitle fees! And considering that subtitles are not searchable, it's a waste of money.

Try eliminating any unnecessary fees. That should help dramatically.

Good luck!
Message 32 of 438
latest reply

56% actually. That seems excessive. How did I not see this yesterday?

Just looked at some things.

Whiteshark, looks like you are possibly paying a lot in listing fees but not making up for them in sales.

For example, when you list a 30 day BIN (Buy It Now) and use a subtitle, that subtitle costs you $1.50. You have 26 BINs with a subtitle up right now. That's $34.50 JUST in subtitle fees! And considering that subtitles are not searchable, it's a waste of money.

Try eliminating any unnecessary fees. That should help dramatically.

Good luck!

Another great job of finding the issues a poster missed through self analysis & cleaning up behind me.;-)

Any of those brooms for sale so I can clean up as good as you?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 33 of 438
latest reply

hockeyfan-dad
Enthusiast
i use to sell here and fee started to go up.. now im back and was wanting ro sell again.renewing my credit card and it says fees and member ship fees are there member ship fees? i know they take more depends on how high tour aution sold for
Message 34 of 438
latest reply

stefs_clothing
Adventurer
i use to sell here and fee started to go up.. now im back and was wanting ro sell again.renewing my credit card and it says fees and member ship fees are there member ship fees? i know they take more depends on how high tour aution sold for

Hi hockey fan, I suggest heading over to the ebay help center to read up on the current fees, and see if there have been any policy changes that apply to you.

A membership fee? Nope. Are you sure that's what you saw?
Message 35 of 438
latest reply

Definately before you list anything read up on the fees and rules and then changes to paypal and feedback policys. Be in the know before you list and save yourself a whole lot of unhappy surprises.

As to the fees being too high, Personally I think the final value fees are ok, yes I would of loved not to of had to pay them when I sold a clarinet for 750.00 think it was something like 50.00 final value fee, but the truth is I would not of gotten as much for it even after subtracting out the fees anyplace else.

On my free listings at 99cents or less, lol, well it stings a bit more when your looking at change for the sale, think by the time I did paypal fees and ebay fees I ended up with 52cents or 57cents, idk its kinda a waste of time and energy but if one buyer buys alot of those I do ok and fortunately most do buy several to save on shipping. Anyway it life and till I find a better way it gives me a little jingle in my pockets.
Message 36 of 438
latest reply

dont fund these greedy liberal bandits based in california that do nothing but laugh all the way to bank

Don't think OMA will mind this thread bump!:^O

Message 37 of 438
latest reply

ebay is not good buisness no more for the sellers. ebay fee's and paypals fee's are out of control. the people here is not bidding at all they go to the last minutes and bid the lowest they can go, and if you start the bidding at a decent preice no body buys anything. I have been selling some computers here for less than 50 dollars thats without ebay and paypals fee, this same computer i sell sometimes at the flemarket for 150 to 200 dollars. i spend alot of time putting softwere and fixing them to get about 12 dollars of profit this crazy it like if what i am selling is garbage. i am only selling a few more things cause i despertly need cash at this moment and i have to sell my extra stuff but withing one month i out of buisness with this webside. ebay sucksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Message 38 of 438
latest reply

Wow! There are people in this thread that I haven't read from in a Long Time!

Back on-topic... LogicPC, I feel your pain.

I sell expensive items (guitars) and I have to figure that about $100 is going to overhead, often more than that.
That is evilBay and PP's cut, packaging and shipping costs.
That is not even including the original price of the item.

So yeah... It is getting pretty bad.
I've said the before... I have bought stuff from people that I feel BAD about the price that I paid.
(Not bad enough to send them extra money, but... y'know?)
But I also feel bad knowing that I am gonna get screwed on the next guitar that I sell.

But I have bought two Fender Squiers that I know that I got a deal on...
and I know that it probably cost the sellers Over Half of what I paid just to cover fees and shipping.
And they were still polite about it.
Just like I will be when I see guitars going out the door for a third of what they are worth... then evilBay takes 16% of that.
(Then FedEx gets their cut too... Everybody has their hand in my Pocket!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 39 of 438
latest reply

the fees will continually go up, i am afraid...the *river* is higher that Ebay, so be grateful/grin...
other venues might offer less in fees, but they seem to not be as popular. you might go over to the ranch and put up your items, as well...but it doesn't have the customer base, as yet...but i think it will at some point.
Never look down upon someone unless you are helping them up...
Message 40 of 438
latest reply

Or, I could invest my money in a savings account and get, what? 3% - - hmmm. The List sent me 1) one buyer 2) a dozen propositions 3) a couple of kooks 4) a computer virus--no thanks!

--and my buyer? She was from out of town and was most impressed that I sell here so she trusted me to wrap the item safely~

Fees are a cost of doing business---far less here than in my old b & m shop--yes, profits were higher there, but so were the headaches!

Happy Sales To You!.....Until We Sell Again!
Message 41 of 438
latest reply

stefs_clothing
Adventurer
Craigslist and eBay are completely different.
Message 42 of 438
latest reply

The list is great for heavier items that can't be shipped easily. For small, inexpensive stuff? Like a used DVD or book? Guess I'll have to look and see if anybody is even listing that kind of stuff.

I took a look at the fees for the river. No thanks! More expensive than eBay! It's been a while but it also seemed there were a lot more restrictions on shipping times and what could be sold.

I also signed up for a ranch account a while back.
Since there's no free-at-any-price listing special on eBay right now, I think I will try my hand at listing at the ranch.
Message 43 of 438
latest reply

I had 15 years with Ebay and Paypal and I tell you all you guy are slave to the sucker... Just think who you are working for and who make the money.... Not you. You are selling $20 item which make around 30% profit which around $6 and you pay ebay fee $2.50 and Paypal another $0.80 which left you $2.70 and you have to pay Tax at the end of the year. This doesn't count all the box and material you have to pay or spend time to find or to make the box and the risk of the item lost which has little protection from paypal. You end up making 10% while Ebay and Pal make 15% and for the other 5%. I found the best way is to list on Craiglist which you get cash and no deal with lost item and it is free. Ebay become to expensive and no support for seller and now aday to much competition on same market.
Message 44 of 438
latest reply

stefs_clothing
Adventurer
FTLOG stop spamming
Message 45 of 438
latest reply