cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Anonymous
Not applicable

sciptr721 :

I also would like to know why post falsehoods? Why waste knowledgable peoples time like Hondametic?

They could be helping a person in real need! Making up a story to make eBay look bad is inexcuseable.

Shame, Shame.

Message 151 of 438
latest reply

What area are you claiming that sellers are making a mark up of 500 - 2500% ????????   How about most sellers after ebay, paypal, shipping materials, and shipping fees are more like on a 2 -20% markup. No one is making 2500% mark up.  People that are listing a complaint they know they can quit selling so they don't need you to say just quit selling. If no one says anything about the problems nothing ever gets changed for the better.

If something bothers you, you never say anything about it? If you have a problem at work do you say anything? if you do you should keep quiet and just quit. If you have a problem with anyone in your family do you bring it up? Maybe you should stay away from them instead and the problem will be gone.  Basically I am saying don't slam other sellers that are bringing up a problem just because you don't see it as a problem.

2500% MARKUP IS NOT HAPPENING

Message 152 of 438
latest reply

Opening a case against a non-paying bidder doesn't get you the money. It just puts a non payment mark on their account. If a buyer opens a case against the seller, Ebay interfers and goes into a sellers paypal account and puts a hold on that money. If a Seller opens a case against a buyer, ebay doesn't go into that buyers account and put a hold on the funds that should go to the seller.

Message 153 of 438
latest reply

People are voicing their problems and you're making snide comments just to do so. We don't need the smart comments from the peanut gallery. Thanks

Message 154 of 438
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

goldenboy005 :

Well it is obvious that you are new to this board. Honda & Komo are the two most respected posters having  and continue to help eBay members daily.  Time to back off before your goodwill is gone altogether.

Message 155 of 438
latest reply

But if the average person out there complains at all items being 99c each are too expensive, how on earth can we get the sales....

Message 156 of 438
latest reply

In my eye, I don't think ebay does care as they are totally on the side of the bidder....Once the negative feedback was abolished for sellers to place, the bidders have it all in the pocket....One has to keep fi=]olders of all information sent buy bidders or until feedback is received....On top of that we have to note everything for the past 3 months until it is off the ebay site.....Why ebay cannot do anything for the sellers puzzles me as if it was not for the sellers, ebay would not get their fees...if they would not get their fees , then the ebay staff ( INCLUDING THE CEO ) would not get wages. And if the workers would not get wages, then they would look for another job and ebay staff would dwindle...But as long as ebay thinks they can do what they like to sellers, then I guess we sellers have not a leg to stand on....
Message 157 of 438
latest reply

No kidding. I just sold a camera that only went for $325 and they nailed me with a $34 fee + PayPal fee. I lost what it cost me to ship it.

I don't think I'll be using Ebay again. I haven't sold in a long time and this was quite the shock.

Message 158 of 438
latest reply

Yes, ebay has gotten greedy but its all in what the market will bear.  They could easily make plenty of money by lowering the percentage they skim off the top. Along with what they make from Paypal they are cleaning house.  Your house. I am at least ALWAYS going to try an alternative method first before immediately going to Ebay. Ihave had good results with Craiglist etc. the times I acutally used it.  Ebay's convenience has got everybody acting like addicted zombies

Message 159 of 438
latest reply

You have to be selective as to what you want to sell on ebay. There cost of doing business is not good for all products. I sell here and on other sites. I love my sales on other site due to no fees. I use ebay for marketing to get my name out there. Ebay was never designed to have a business run thru it. It's main function is an auction house and the fees represent that. They have basically declared they are for the buyers. You need to adapt to the rules.
Message 160 of 438
latest reply

I quit selling on eBay years ago. Sometimes I get a wild hare and post a ad, after eBay takes their share and PayPal too. I realize what happened and I go back to craigslist every time.
Message 161 of 438
latest reply

wild hare.....?

wild_hairstyle_12.jpg

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 162 of 438
latest reply

I completely agree.. in the past few months I spent about $700 in eBay and PayPal fees. I try to sell using Craigslist but eBay sales are just so much faster.

One advice I have is to use an eBay calculator to determine the fees before setting your target price. Here's the simple, updated eBay/Paypal calculator that I use: http://finalfeecalculator.com

Message 163 of 438
latest reply

Good morning zamdagr8 and welcome to The Part Timers Forum. Great advice and I'll bet quite a few here wish they were burdened with 700 bucks in fees!

While your stats fantastic and you don't need any help at this point if I may offer a suggestion or two? The first is your No Returns choice, it often causes a buyer to file a SNAD first and ask questions later and as eBay's new Buyer protection Program is now The eBay Money Back Guarantee  it is totally unenforceable. And second is it will really bring out the scammers with electronic items like this.> http://www.ebay.com/sch/zamdagr8/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Hope this helps and good luck with your future sales!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 164 of 438
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Remember the sellers FIRST rule. NEVER sell anything you can not afford to lose!

Even though the option exists in your listing of " No Returns ", unfortunately that does not mean No Refunds !! 

The Ebay Buyer Protection Plan over rides your policy, and almost guarantees that a claim filed against you ( such as a SNAD..) 

will result in the buyer getting a refund without having to return your item to you. 

While this is not fair, you can prevent this from happening in the future by changing your auction listings to ' accept returns'.

If you encounter a SNAD filed against you in an open case by your buyer ....

ALWAYS relpy.......RETURN FOR REFUND......and the buyer pays return shipping !!!!!!

- thanks to komokwa, honda, bronx-dog  and the veteran part -time sellers
                               for the information stated above!

Message 165 of 438
latest reply