cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

@kiriakos208 

You are told upfront, when you list an item, that you will be charged an FVF (Final Value Fee) when your item sells. It is in the User Agreement that you agreed to when you signed up.  It is also on every final listing page before you hit "List My Item"

"Free" listings are free-to-list, not free-to-sell.

eBay is a for profit corporation.

You sold a Playstation on Sept 9. for $460.00 with $40 shipping

eBay FVF (10%) = $46.00

eBay FVF on Shipping (10%) = $4.00

PayPal Fee (2.9% +0.30) = $14.80

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom. ~ Sir Terry Pratchett
Message 241 of 438
latest reply

@kiriakos208 wrote:

why i must pay invoice 46 dollars for seller fees

because you sold item.......

if you do not want to pay fees , do yard sale at your home.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 242 of 438
latest reply

Hummm.......Fly had better answer....!

but mine good too...

Message 243 of 438
latest reply

I went from having about 75-100 items per month listed at all times to 4 or 5.  I can't believe there are no more free listings for Buy It Now for clothing and accessories. .30 doesn't sound like a like but it adds up quickly.  I can't do auctions because too many people don't pay and ebay only protects buyers and not sellers.  Buyers basically get away with anything because you can't leave negative feedback. I have spoken with other sellers and they don't sell on ebay anymore either because of the out of control fees. Ebay must have noticed and called trying to talk me into a store.  I asked why they expected me to pay even more in fees than I was already paying.  The 1% less in commission doesn't justify the monthly fee.  How about a monthly fee and 50% less commission.  

Message 244 of 438
latest reply

If only I could point everyone to zauctions!

Message 245 of 438
latest reply

write a Blog !

Message 246 of 438
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As Hidy-Hoo said :

The original post was dated May 2010 ~ fees will continue to go up, along with the price of gas, groceries, etc. If y'all can't come up with a business plan that includes a profit after deducting eBay fees, you need to find another line of work!

Eighty six cents from every dollar to make a decent profit. Included is the cost of the item, shipping costs, and what ever else might be needed. For me it's usually packing cardboard and usually free from a local grocery store. Yeah I make a decent profit and keep my clients happy with same day shipping and quality merchandise usually better than they expect. I have been selling since 2002 and have no regrets. In fact I am very pleased with eBay/PayPal until the recent PayPal return policy of going from 45 to 180 days!. The fees information is available to all sellers. Interesting when one investigates the sellers complaint in the end the majority of time, it is the seller that caused their own fee problem!

“A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams” — John Barrymore

Message 247 of 438
latest reply

??? It's a uk site that is miles cheaper!
Message 248 of 438
latest reply

It's not a .com site,has only has 8 items listed and no items sold. I'd rather pay the fees here and actually make some money sometimes.

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 249 of 438
latest reply

It's only a month or so old, it has to start somehow. The fees are so low surely it's worth a go?
Message 250 of 438
latest reply

With it not being a .com site few people in the States or North America would find it without major advertising.It took me almost 10minutes just to find it because you failed to mention it was not .com. There is nothing under FAQ or About Us sections.Under fees it does not specify if the seller pays whether or not there havebeen bids on a auctions.Under How To Sell the information is not set up to easily read.It is not very professional looking. The site needs more work and to be around and progressive before I would consider trying it.

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 251 of 438
latest reply

Great comments!  Many thanks!  Work is continueing and will eventually be worth using.

It was not mentioned that it was a co.uk because the system stops you sending that lead to sites like zauctions.

Message 252 of 438
latest reply

Not trying to be snarky or rude,but I was able to mention the .com and you were able to put in co.uk in your post without it being removed.All I mean is if there's a will there's a way.If you want to get the word out in North America which is mainly .com you need to make sure readers know this when your talking about in places that won't let you to add the entire site name.

I also noticed all items listed are the same seller.Are you the site owner and those are your items listed? I also understand if that's info you may not want to have known,but if it is your site I do wish you luck!

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 253 of 438
latest reply

Oh and not sure if this is important or helpful,but I had to capitalize the Z before it brought the site up.It wasn't showing it with the way you typed it with a small z? I used Firefox under Google search.

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 254 of 438
latest reply

Hi,

Yes the site is mine and still being ironed out a bit as you have mentioned.  And yes, the things on there are mine too.

I replied to someone a while ago and when I put the full domain in, the reply was removed because I was 'drawing people away from eBay'.  I don't know if the reply was reported or what, but there you go.

I just asked about the .com and they want $2,000 for it.  That's not going to happen for a while.

Someone mentioned  writing a blog the other day, so if you are interested, it will be at dontebay.com.  Hopefully ready in a day or two.

(Not got $2,000 spare by any chance?)

Message 255 of 438
latest reply