cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

The original post was dated May 2010 ~ fees will continue to go up, along with the price of gas, groceries, etc.  If y'all can't come up with a business plan that includes a profit after deducting eBay fees, you need to find another line of work!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 226 of 438
latest reply

WOW! Ummm

Is everything okay?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 227 of 438
latest reply

I agree.  I have not sold anything on ebay for a very long time.  I am so disapointed with the whole process.  I listed some jewelry for my mom, so that she can get some money to move out of her drug infested neighborhood.  First you have to set the price low enough for someone to even want to bid, and not to many people are bidding that much anymore.  Second the insertion fees were free, this time around which normally would have cost me $23.00, very little sold.  So I would have been stuck paying that price as well as the payment I had to make on what did sell, which was high.  E-bay tells you the price to ship is 2.32, well that maybe fine but paypal will take from that shipping a fee, and then ebay will take from that shipping as well as the final value fee, so I end up eatting most of the shipping! Paypal by the way IS EBAY TOO.    I did not make much at all.  I am so ashamed to even tell my mother, what little I got.  When  I tried to do what I thought would help her.   I should have just had a garage sale, or sell on etsy. No one is buying much and ebay and paypal take way to much for fee's.  There is no profit for the little guy to make anymore it all goes to big business. 

Message 228 of 438
latest reply

This is one of those threads that I wish would have gotten lost in the move 😞

This one and the "ebay su**s" one ....

Maybe there should just be a board where all of these posts go, where everyone can just whine at each other and agree that they shouldn't have to read any stinkin' User Agreement or learn anything about fees and rules.

*Sigh*

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom. ~ Sir Terry Pratchett
Message 229 of 438
latest reply

if wishes were horses beggers would ride...............

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 230 of 438
latest reply

@devkblue wrote:

I agree.  I have not sold anything on ebay for a very long time.  I am so disapointed with the whole process.  I listed some jewelry for my mom, so that she can get some money to move out of her drug infested neighborhood.  First you have to set the price low enough for someone to even want to bid, and not to many people are bidding that much anymore.  Second the insertion fees were free, this time around which normally would have cost me $23.00, very little sold.  So I would have been stuck paying that price as well as the payment I had to make on what did sell, which was high.  E-bay tells you the price to ship is 2.32, well that maybe fine but paypal will take from that shipping a fee, and then ebay will take from that shipping as well as the final value fee, so I end up eatting most of the shipping! Paypal by the way IS EBAY TOO.    I did not make much at all.  I am so ashamed to even tell my mother, what little I got.  When  I tried to do what I thought would help her.   I should have just had a garage sale, or sell on etsy. No one is buying much and ebay and paypal take way to much for fee's.  There is no profit for the little guy to make anymore it all goes to big business. 

So you:

1) Didn't check completed listings to see how comparable pieces of jewelry were selling;

2) Didn't charge enough for shipping (that price they "told" you was based what YOU told them);

3) Didn't pay a dime to list a bunch of items that didn't sell, but were upset about the fees on what did sell;

4) Didn't check other venues before listing here.

And it's all Big Bad eBay's fault. Right.

Message 231 of 438
latest reply

I came by this form by by accident and just wanted to weigh in. i have made a good amount of money on ebay, yes i could make more *possibly* using other avenues to sell my goods, but ebay is so convienent, it connects me with millions of buyers around the world and integrates support services. Even though ebay+paypal+shiping fees eat up about a third to half of the profits, i am still making money,  with minimal effort. Yes the fees are too high, but ebay is a business, their mission is to increase shareholder value, you cant do that giving services away. You pay for the features and the access to ebay's user base, and bottom line is if you don't want to pay the fees, don't sell on ebay.  The effects of the fees can be mitigated by planning here is my process:

• i use a spreadsheet that calculates the paypal fee (1.5% + .30) the 10% FVF and then using a postal chart or calculator the shipping costs, this allows me to play with the prices and see what i could expect to net at various prices. Also factoring in if ebay has any promotions going.

• Then i compare prices to what has sold on ebay, then i decide if the item is worth listing here, or if i should look into other avenues (or even donate to goodwill)

• If i am happy with the net gain ebay would provide i go ahead and list.

If you do not plan, you can easily loose money. Know your products, Know your costs, Know your market.

Message 232 of 438
latest reply

i have made a good amount of money on ebay, yes i could make more

by calling ebay up and offering to write ads for their next promo  !!!

You're a natural !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 233 of 438
latest reply

@cort89 wrote:
  • i use a spreadsheet that calculates the paypal fee (1.5% + .30) the 10% FVF and then using a postal chart or calculator the shipping costs, this allows me to play with the prices and see what i could expect to net at various prices. Also factoring in if ebay has any promotions going.

What kind of a deal do you have that gets you 1.5% PayPal fees? I didn't think they went below 2.4% even for high-volume sellers.

Message 234 of 438
latest reply

I agree with you , Ebay was so much fun when it first started, now its just another company nickel and dimeing you for all your worth ..

Message 235 of 438
latest reply

Agree!  Ebay has many promises when you first start selling with them although when you exceed what they told you would bring rewards from them nothing ever comes except a high monthly bill for selling with them. In addition Ebay does not resolve problems they hang the seller out to dry leaving them wide open to theft and false feedback if demands are not met. Ebay is not a safe enviroment to sell in and they are extremely expensive.

Message 236 of 438
latest reply

Everyone needs to stop using Ebay to promote change. Ebay has gotten out of control and is damaging the sellers who keep them in business not to mention their policies and feedback system leave sellers wide open to theft and extortion.

Message 237 of 438
latest reply

@nielsenjames68 wrote:

Agree!  Ebay has many promises when you first start selling with them although when you exceed what they told you would bring rewards from them nothing ever comes except a high monthly bill for selling with them

Say what?

Message 238 of 438
latest reply

@nielsenjames68 wrote:

Everyone needs to stop using Ebay to promote change. Ebay has gotten out of control and is damaging the sellers who keep them in business not to mention their policies and feedback system leave sellers wide open to theft and extortion.

I disagree!

Everyone needs to do exactly what each of them thinks is best. It would, however, be very nice if someone started a new selling venue with as much clout (buyers) as eBay and a more transparent and equitable system of conducting business.

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 239 of 438
latest reply

why i must pay invoice 46 dollars for seller fees

Message 240 of 438
latest reply