cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

Point taken....but post 208 seemed an honest effort to learn something.....

so where's the harm in trying.....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 211 of 438
latest reply

I have learned a lot now. I paid an expensive lesson for my mistakes but this will be the final lesson to pay. Thank you guys all for your help and next time I will not repeat the same mistakes again.

Message 212 of 438
latest reply

@amigaclassiclover wrote:

I have learned a lot now. I paid an expensive lesson for my mistakes but this will be the final lesson to pay. Thank you guys all for your help and next time I will not repeat the same mistakes again.

I've avoided a lot of mistakes by reading these boards. There's lots of great info and very experienced members here. Come back often.

Message 213 of 438
latest reply

I'm about done with them, myself.  Too expensive.  They need some competition....

Message 214 of 438
latest reply

@fltay wrote:

I'm about done with them, myself.  Too expensive.  They need some competition....

We'll miss you. Your contributions to the forum have been invaluable.

Message 215 of 438
latest reply

How much would you pay in fees at a tractor auction ?

Those r some nice tractors, but I can't tell if you're getting good money for them.

Message 216 of 438
latest reply

Unfortunately, I got slammed too. 

Frankly, takes all the profit one hopes to make out of an item, and in some cases, makes it useless to even place it on eBay.

I'm currently looking at alternative sales site that specialize on what I have to offer; but many are also skimming large fees from the top, even Amazon is doing this. I stop selling with them a while ago, and it seems eBay will be next.

Message 217 of 438
latest reply

BOTTOM LINE - 13% is too much for selling items commercially online. There is no profit to be made and still be competitive. YOu can't just raise the price to cover the fees and free shipping, the buyers will simply go direct to the distributor or local retail store.

You can't compare eBay to an auction-house that sells tractors, eBay does NOT compare to a Barrett Jackson auction. I equate most of the eBay transanctions with that of flea-Market sales, where you have the commerical sellers who show up every week and those who are there to sell off used goods from their garage. No percentages sre skimmed at the final sale.

Since eBay has to be profitable to stay alive, a reasonable compromise would be to charge a flat rate for a seller-store depending on volume and additional resources used to maintain, and less expensive final value fees to the casual sellers. 

A reasonable casual seller fee would be 5% with a 25 cent minimum and not to exceed $100. Now for cars and tractors, you have eBay motors, which is a totally different category of sales that I know nothing about so I'll refrain from sharing my opinions on that. 

I just closed my Business account - Store because I didn't have enough volume and the items was selling I was loosing too much money on. 

Message 218 of 438
latest reply

You can't compare eBay to an auction-house that sells tractors,

ohhh, around here I can pretty much do what I want !

Message 219 of 438
latest reply

And I LOVE the-ranch......

Message 220 of 438
latest reply

I believe the reply before yours is from an eBay staff member? Of course, we're about 100,000 people shor of what we need to get a response 🙂

Message 221 of 438
latest reply

Ebay have changed their pricing structure

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/introduction-ebay-fees

I have a bag that I think will sell for £4.99. It will cost me £3.90 to post.

I could start at 99p with £3.90 postage, or £4.99 with £3.90 postage, or £8.89 with free postage. Or use BIN. Either way (assuming it goes for £4.99 on the auction, and it's one of my 20 free posts) the fee (including paypal fee) is £1.40

£1.40 of £4.99 is 28% !

Message 222 of 438
latest reply

That can't be right ??

@ 28%........no one would be selling anything...not even BBF !

Message 223 of 438
latest reply

EBAY IS TAKING ALOT OF OUR PROFIT. I JUST REALIZE I MADE LESS PROFIT THEN EBAY.  The fees are soooo expensive. i started sellig again and wow almost 15% fees betwwen ebay and paypal. slowly people will start looking for other sites cause thats just to much money. i work with cell phones and alot of my customers even said they no longer sell on ebay i now understand why. 

Message 224 of 438
latest reply

sd-brightis
Thrill-Seeker

I agree

Message 225 of 438
latest reply