cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

unless you listed both $800 items this way and relisted them again and then decided to sell them for $50 each after that......I'm not seeing 43%.....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 196 of 438
latest reply

@amigaclassiclover wrote:

Ebay is taking from me $43 dollars fee for my $100 worth.  It is as if they toke 43% profit from my sale...too much!

At a quick glance, I thought you may have

accidently hit the '4' instead of the '1'...
they are close together, afterall.

photo 47a2d184-2129-44b1-a90a-cfa7c17cb813.jpg

But making the same fat finger error twice in a row

is somewhat unlikely.

Message 197 of 438
latest reply

@artie_chicago wrote:

OMG . . . 43%! I pay eBay/PayPal total fee of 13%. You would have to applied all the bells & whistles which add up to amass a FVF of 43%. Even then that's like 30% more  than I pay and I believe the majority of veteran sellers.  I susgest you take another look at your

listings and rid them of any and all extras and then check your math. 

Good Luck!

All I did is set the reserve price for my auction and then I get something like this down below. But for some reason it was another 7.99 or something and then fees where a little bit more and then the other auction combined and here we go or something:

Insertion fee:Free
Insertion fee(2nd Category) (Fee doubled because of listing in 2 categories):US $0.30
Buy It Now (Special offer):Free 
Buy It Now(2nd Category) (Fee doubled because of listing in 2 categories):US $0.25 
Gallery:Free 
Gallery(2nd Category) (Fee doubled because of listing in 2 categories):Free 
Reserve Price Auction:US $7.99 
Reserve Price Auction(2nd Category) (Fee doubled because of listing in 2 categories):US $7.99 

There's no FVF for a completed sale here.............so it looks like you're adding up every last charge and putting it all towards .....what EVETUALLY did sell !

Message 198 of 438
latest reply

I do not care what you guys see or not see. I do not care wheter you believe me or do not believe me. I do not care if you think I am making this up or not. It does not change the fact, that I sold two items for $100 and I have to pay ebay 43 dollars. Also it does not change the fact, that I need to transfer the money from my paypal account to my bank account and that too is going to cost me money. So really, I am almost giving the items away and made very little money.

I have learned not to sell from ebay anymore. Craigslist are the worst place to sell anything, but at least even if takes me 4 years to sell an item I posted 4 years ago...I do not need to give money to big coorperation like ebay and increase their wallets more! Now to me, it is personal.

Message 199 of 438
latest reply

Exactly! I am using eBay!

But not understanding how ebays fees work, has led you to think the $43 was just for the two sales......& it wasn't.

If you canged your listing habits this will not happen again and your avg total will drop to 13 %......

But if you don't care.........then I'm the IDIOT for even wasting my time on you!

Message 200 of 438
latest reply

Boy that was a snipe that I didn't see coming......or going !!!!

Wooosh........not Swoooosh !!!!

Message 201 of 438
latest reply

@komokwa wrote:

Exactly! I am using eBay!

But not understanding how ebays fees work, has led you to think the $43 was just for the two sales......& it wasn't.

If you canged your listing habits this will not happen again and your avg total will drop to 13 %......

But if you don't care.........then I'm the IDIOT for even wasting my time on you!

OK! I have a computer that I spend 800 bucks on it. If I do not do reserve it would go for 200 bucks or 19.99 or 0.99. Which by the way...by having reserve amount I saved the risk of forcing to sell the item to the guy for 180  bucks. So if I cannot use this feature to protect me for having major lose because i will have major lose by paying ebay for this feature...then I am an IDIOT to use eBay.

Message 202 of 438
latest reply

BUT.....If you put the $800 computer at a Buy It Now Price you were happy with ...& incuded Imediate Payment.......you'd be fine !!

Message 203 of 438
latest reply

@komokwa wrote:

BUT.....If you put the $800 computer at a Buy It Now Price you were happy with ...& incuded Imediate Payment.......you'd be fine !!

OK. I agree with you there. However, I did put buy it now for 900 bucks, I put reserve price amount 700 dollars and I started the bid at 0.99. Personally, I will be happy with 700 if it reaches there...but 900 bucks would have paid off everything it cost me to buy this computer. Personally, it would have being a lose to me anyways if it reaches 700 dollars but I was happy there and then. BUT FOR IT to go just 180 bucks is not acceptable with me.  The reserve amount protected from me there. I did not put $800 right there because not everyone is willing to pay this amount, but someone out there could spend 700 dollars which I am ok with. Putting it $700 dollars as the fixed amount to me is saying I want to sell it for this amount, but in truth I do not want..I am hoping to get more for it to compensate for the lose I spend on this machine.  Putting all this aside here is what ticks me off:

I do not think that eBay should be asking me to pay for the listing when it was not successful sold. Maybe, I am financially tight for some reason and every money I have in my pocket is needed and cannot be spend on other expense for example. This is the reason, for example, why I am selling my own personal items and I am hoping this would go for good money to pay off for example, bills, living expense, etc. To be forced to pay eBay this amount when I have not sold this item and I am financially tight is severe in my opinion.

Message 204 of 438
latest reply

I did not put $800 right there because not everyone is willing to pay this amount, but someone out there could spend 700 dollars which I am ok with. Putting it $700 dollars as the fixed amount to me is saying I want to sell it for this amount, but in truth I do not want..I am hoping to get more for it to compensate for the lose I spend on this machine.

Setting the starting price at $700, with a BIN of $900, would have cost you $0.00 in listing and reserve fees, and it would have protected you just as well. And if more than one person were willing to spend more than $700, you wouldn't have been stuck selling for just $700.

And now you're complaining about having to pay the reserve fee, even though the reserve did EXACTLY what it was designed to do. Why be angry at eBay, when the problem is sitting at your keyboard?

Message 205 of 438
latest reply

I do not think that eBay should be asking me to pay for the listing when it was not successful sold. 

Fine....but there are ways to do that , that cost you nothing....unless a sale has been made.

You chose other ways.

Putting it $700 dollars as the fixed amount to me is saying I want to sell it for this amount, but in truth I do not want..I am hoping to get more.

Think of it this way.....$700 is the LEAST amount you will accept......but you are hoping for more.

If you think that no one will pay the $800 , you will never get $800.....but at least you will get ( hopefully ! ) the $700.......or maybe more.

If you need every dollar....I understand......but this eBay is not an ATM , they take 13% of a sale , so you have to list in the manner that costs you the smallest amout......if the item does NOT sell.

Message 206 of 438
latest reply

Question. If I put it as 700 minimum bid without any reserve price and no one bids it, even if it went for six days straight and no one bid one single bid. Do I still pay fee for that?

Message 207 of 438
latest reply

Question. If I put it as 700 minimum bid without any reserve price and no one bids it, even if it went for six days straight and no one bid one single bid. Do I still pay fee for that?

If it's one of the 50 free listings eBay gives you every month, and if you don't use any optional features that cost money (e.g. 10-day listing duration), then no, there is no fee if no one bids. That's what we've been telling you.

Message 208 of 438
latest reply

and if you don't use any optional features that cost money

Like the 2nd catagory.......which is useless & costs you extra even if there's no sale !!

Message 209 of 438
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

komo : I believe this situation is a "you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink!"

Personally I believe your wasting your time that could be of use to another situation. As

I have said before, the majority of sellers complaining about FVF after investigation are

found to be their own problem!

Message 210 of 438
latest reply