cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do unpaid item strikes show up?

I just opened a case on my non-paying bidder. If he doesn't respond (and I don't think he will, as I already warned him about the pending UID) and he gets a strike, will it show up in his feedback or something? Or is the buyer the only one who will be able to see it?
Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

I really think EBAY needs to change their idiotic system of awarding buyers and punishing sellers.  I mean, sellers have no recourse whatsoever to the thousands of buyers that refuse to pay....we cannot even leave negative feedback to warn other sellers, but buyers can leave any feedback they wish.  IS THAT FARE?  HELL, NO.  I think EBAY should remove buyers that don't pay for their items.  I mean, that's what credit card companies do if you don't pay your bills.

Message 31 of 144
latest reply

maerklin61: Loosen up, forget about the non paying bidder and the strike against him or her, move on and be happy.Worry about yourself and make sure your selling makes you money (profits). It is not worth the stress, time, messaging back and forth, contacting ebay, etc.!!!

While I appreciate this attitude, because I feel it is right and really the best option, it is sad that ebay's "solution" has created more non-paying bidders than ever. I open more cases, cancel more transactions and give more refunds than ever before and it is like pulling teeth to get all my fees back. I don't really think I do receive "all" of the fees unless I actually call ebay on each transaction in question.

Message 32 of 144
latest reply

2minutes2midnight: Eliminate member to member feedback. Keep DSR's but make them for use by Buyers and Sellers for comparison only. Ebay should not base any account restrictions or rewards on them. This will eliminate the 4=Good / 4=Bad nonsense. Implement a tool that would allow buyers to exclude sellers from their search results based on percentages on S2 - S5 and / or S6 thru S9. Implement a tool that would allow sellers to block potential buyers based on percentages.

I have actually suggested something very close to this to ebay. If ebay would simply let buyers and sellers leave what they feel is honest feedback and not use the info to cane good sellers and just remove the cloak and stop letting these bad buyers and sellers hide behind ebay's firewall of secrecy, simply letting the light in to reveal a buyers or sellers real numbers, such as UID's and SNAD's, it would be enough to get them scurrying away and leave the real buying and selling to those better equipped to do so.

Message 33 of 144
latest reply

"Where do unpaid item strikes show up?"

Nowhere... evilBay has no financial reason to discourage any buyers.

evilBay makes over 10% on every transaction... Honest or Not.

If a buyer does not pay... That may cost a Seller time and Inconvenience...

But it does not cost evilBay anything...

It is not even "The Cost of Doing Business"... I costs evilBay Nothing.

If a Seller gets ripped-off, evilBay does not care, there are more where that one came from.

Unpaid Item Strikes are an empty threat to make evilBay seem honest.

Since you cannot leave any Buyer feedback.

And if they ever did sanction someong, sleazy buyers can just open another ID...

So you KNOW that the Unpaid Item Policy is just for show.

Have you EVER known a Buyer to get Kicked-Off of evilBay? Really?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 34 of 144
latest reply

I open more cases, cancel more transactions and give more refunds than ever before and it is like pulling teeth to get all my fees back. I don't really think I do receive "all" of the fees unless I actually call ebay on each transaction in question.

Good morning PaigeCoverDale and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

I'm curious about the above. I thought when you closed the UID or Transaction Cancellation eBay "auto" refunded fees, when are you having issues that you have to call eBay?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 35 of 144
latest reply

What would happen if Ebay wouldn't let buyers buy until the unpaid item case is resolved?  How many times have sellers had a buyer commit to buy an item and then go buy other items from a different seller while never paying for the item they committed to buy from you?

Message 36 of 144
latest reply

Good morning bailiwyck and welcome to The Part Timers Forum. Can I assume Bailiwick was taken?;-)

I've seen many suggestions similar to yours, it ain't gonna happen.:_|

File the UID or use the UIA to do it, close it as soon as possible and set your blocks to prevent buyers with 2 or more Unpaid Item "Marks" (eBay won't even call them "Strikes"!) and move on.

Sorry I can't be more positive but "It is what it is!". Good luck with your future sales!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 37 of 144
latest reply

What would happen if Ebay wouldn't let buyers buy until the unpaid item case is resolved?  How many times have sellers had a buyer commit to buy an item and then go buy other items from a different seller while never paying for the item they committed to buy from you?

What would happen?  If you're talking about eBay forcing the buyer to complete the transaction by paying, then sellers would get a lot of low DSRs in retaliation under the current DSR system. As well as the seller having to deal with returns and being out the postage.

And eBay would be missing out on other possible sales while that buyer couldn't buy anything else. Can't have that happen, LOL.

Message 38 of 144
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

Out there... somewhere, way out there.

Message 39 of 144
latest reply

Hondamedic, this is a poor analogy!! People making house payments are paying for shelter, a vital necessity, and generally have a month-to-month commitment to the amount they owe that was usually determined far previously. Every once in awhile, perhaps, something happens (someone gets sick and can't work, a car needs repair, etc.) and the chips don't fall right that month, making it more difficult to come up with the monthly payment. It's hard to foresee these types of occurrences when you first buy/rent a place and agree on the monthly payment.

ON THE OTHER HAND, buyers on eBay are generally purchasing things that are NOT absolute necessities - jewelry, clothes, tools, sports equipment, etc. When they are bidding on item, they are pledging a "contract" that if they win the item they will pay for it, and when they place their winning bid, they click knowing that they're going to have to pay this amount within 4 days! It is a small time frame, and they know immediate compensation is expected. I just had a buyer win a pair of gold watches I was selling, and is backing down from paying for them. What happened in the 4 days from when he won the item that now has left him unable to pay? Did he get struck by lightning? It is such a frivolous purchase for someone who doesn't have the money to afford them - if you aren't able to pay for an item, don't bid for it in the first place! It's a waste of time for everyone involved. Because of this, eBay absolutely SHOULD put a sign on their figurative lawn that says they didn't pay on time.

Message 40 of 144
latest reply

Good evenig gwes6480 and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

Hondamedic, this is a poor analogy!! People making house payments are paying for shelter, a vital necessity, and generally have a month-to-month commitment to the amount they owe that was usually determined far previously. Every once in awhile, perhaps, something happens (someone gets sick and can't work, a car needs repair, etc.) and the chips don't fall right that month, making it more difficult to come up with the monthly payment. It's hard to foresee these types of occurrences when you first buy/rent a place and agree on the monthly payment.

And where did I post mortage/rent payment?;-)

Think of it this way.... Ever make a late payment? Does the company come & put a sign on your house that reads, "Did not pay on time! A real DeadBeat!"? No, they put in your credit score, hidden from public eyes. Hope this helps & good luck with your future sales!

Message 41 of 144
latest reply

As many have stated...it doesn't even matter if and where it shows up.  Just hold yourself to a higher standard, smile through the pain, and move on.  You can't make a stupid, rude, person of low standards and no integrity raise their standards by striking them.  You will never change them. And they will continue to be rude and stupid.  So, either deal with it or quit selling on ebay.  I am dealing with two right now and I am smiling because, even though they are total losers, I am still a person of high standards, and THEY CAN't change me, either! HA! 

Message 42 of 144
latest reply

My guess is that he found a similiar item that he wanted that might be a little less expensive.  This just happened to me.  A buyer won an auction and didn't pay after four days.  Right before the four days I sent an invoice asking if they forgot...no response.  I reported the non-payment and during the next day sent an email asking if they still wanted the item.

Then I did a little digging.  The person who bought the item from me bought a similiar item just a couple of days later and a slightly lower price.  Buyer never responded to ebay's request to pay so the case was closed, I got back Final Value Fee and the buyer got a "strike".  I am sure they don't care, they got their item at a couple of bucks less and I couldn't relist the item during a great selling time for me.

This buyer is relatively new and probably plans on just buying thru the holidays.  Even if it is a jerk and they have done this before and get more strikes then they will eventually just get a new id and open a different account and start the process all over again.

I suspect that ebay can't do everything about deadbeat buyers out there but they could go further into making our lives easier by allowing negative feedback for buyers again.  They should also allow us to block people with 0 feedback.  Yes, I know, new people deserve a chance.  But 80% of unpaid items are from buyers with 0 feedback - what does that tell you.  Plus many buyers wouldn't use that option or would only use it as I would for items that have a "shelf life" (i.e. Christmas decorations, etc.).

Message 43 of 144
latest reply

But 80% of unpaid items are from buyers with 0 feedback

Where did you get that data?

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 44 of 144
latest reply

Where did you get that data?

Oh, come on, janewl-1...everybody knows that's an accurate number!  Why, I've read it's really 83%...I read that somewhere on the internet.  :^O  :^O  :^O

Seriously, I'm suprised you didn't pick up on the rest of that quote..."what does that tell you?"  It tells me that anyone who makes up facts to support a claim whould be taken with a grain of salt.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 45 of 144
latest reply