cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do unpaid item strikes show up?

I just opened a case on my non-paying bidder. If he doesn't respond (and I don't think he will, as I already warned him about the pending UID) and he gets a strike, will it show up in his feedback or something? Or is the buyer the only one who will be able to see it?
Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

Ebay would love to have bidders money flowing into it's coffers even before a bid was placed.

I just can't see how any bidders would stay with a site that makes them pay upfront before they bid.

Do they have to pay each time they bid on the same item?
If they get outbid right away do they get their money back right away.?
If they bid $10 for a $250 item , do they have to front eBay $250 for that $10 bid.?

This sounds so convoluted that it would drive bidders away in hordes.....then the sellers would follow ....and ebay would be KAPUT !

Sound scenario's SpitFire....

"This sounds so convoluted that it would drive bidders away in hordes.....then the sellers would follow ....and ebay would be KAPUT !"

Well, the sellers have been driven away in hordes.... That's half their battle...
"Words of kindness are more powerful than cruel swords." Jose B. Cabajar
Message 16 of 144
latest reply

They still post bad checks in stores in my hometown for all to see and remember.It will never make sense to chastise the seller for untruths left by a low feedbacker and let the buyer / accuser go free.All this makes for great drama and has no effect on the rules Echoke implies..It is their game and to play--you pay.

Message 17 of 144
latest reply

jrdovebear
Enthusiast

You know, I have to agree that something should be done to buyers that do not pay for their items.  I tend to buy more than I sell.  But having cleaned out some closets, I decided to sell some of the items on Ebay.  I do not find it fair that buyers need not provide anything in order to buy items on Ebay.  But once I sold more than 10 items (I think thats what the number was), I was required to provide a way of payment to buyers in case they file a complaint against me as a seller.  Meaning if he isn't happy with his item, says he doesn't get it, or whatever else he wants to say, then he can complain to Ebay and they take the money out of whatever account I was required to provide.  Why can something similar not be done for buyers.  I have only had 1 unpaid item in the several that I have sold.  And I gave the kid 2 weeks to pay for the item since the week after it went off, we were going into Christmas.  After a week, I sent him a second invoice.  After 2 weeks, I sent him a message telling him that I was giving him 1 week to pay for the item before I opened up an unpaid item case against him.  Still nothing.  I open up an unpaid item case against him, which I leave open for just over a week (due to a death in the family).  Still nothing.  I can understand if Ebay doesn't want to charge the buyer the full price of the item that they are not paying for.  However, sellers do a lot to put items on Ebay.  We must pay listing fees and are charged a percentage of the item that is sold.  Why can Ebay not force buyers to provide some sort of information like they require buyers to do.  Then, if a buyer bids and wins an item, then does not pay for it, they can be charged a fee that Ebay just takes from whatever account the buyer provides.  The fee charged should actually be one that reimburses the seller for the listing cost of the item (which the buyer should get) plus a small fee that Ebay can pocket (this could be a percentage of the price the item was sold for, this would prevent buyers from bidding on expensive items unless they can pay for them).   If the buyer does not pay this fee, then it becomes Ebays problem.  And let me tell you, if Ebay starts losing money for this reason, they may care a little bit more about buyers who do not pay for items. 

Message 18 of 144
latest reply

ebay wants to be the number one online retailer in the world. No doubt in my mind that they have and continue to spend big money in researching what buying experience will attract the most customers. We as sellers can adapt to the changes or get left behind. The name of the game in retailing is making the buyer happy! There have been and always be a few bad apples. Don't let that stop you from reaching your financial goals. Personally I like being part of the try harder enterprise.

.............................................................................................

"In our hyper networked, mobile, social, global world, the rules and plans of yesterday are increasingly under pressure: the enterprises and individuals that will thrive will be those willing to adapt and iterate, in a disciplined, unsentimental way. - F.C. editor Robert Safian

Message 19 of 144
latest reply

They show up in my "Buyer Requirements Activity Log":^O

I have a guy that works with me that lost his buying privelages awile ago from too many strikes and got his account suspended. He askes me once to buy something for him on eBay.....I said "WHY SO YOU CAN NOT PAY ME EITHER"? I just laughed in his face and then I replied "Hey whats your user ID so I can block you if you ever get it back....LOL....".

Message 20 of 144
latest reply

OOOPS...old thread:O

Message 21 of 144
latest reply

mintrobmint: Aren't old threads like fine wine? Both get better with age. She never heard of the Cubs. Now there is one lucky person. :^O

Message 22 of 144
latest reply

Loosen up, forget about the non paying bidder and the strike against him or her, move on and be happy.Worry about yourself and make sure your selling makes you money (profits).

It is not worth the stress, time, messaging back and forth, contacting ebay, etc.!!!

Message 23 of 144
latest reply

tables4decor
Enthusiast

Honda- "Ever make a late payment? Does the company come & put a sign on your house that reads, "Did not pay on time! A real DeadBeat!"? No, they put in your credit score, hidden from public eyes."

Which I agree is totally the right thing - however, social networking sites (even these types of forums) may change that in the future.

from a very interesting, if not slightly scary, article about how bank loans may use social media in the future. http://www.betabeat.com/2011/12/13/as-banks-start-nosing-around-facebook-and-twitter-the-wrong-frien...

"In another nifty but nefarious innovation, Lenddo reserves the right to broadcast your loan status if you fall into default. As the site warns: “Failure to repay will negatively impact your Lenddo score, as well as the score of your Lenddo friends. Lenddo MAINTAINS THE RIGHT TO NOTIFY YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY AND COMMUNITY if the borrower fails to repay, however, this is only done after several notifications to the borrower and an attempt to work out a payment plan.” (there are many other points in the article about how b&m banks are planning to use social networks in the future)

So maybe an automatic (not retaliatory) negative score for not paying isn't totally outrageous. At least we can't post it on their FB page.

Message 24 of 144
latest reply

Which I agree is totally the right thing - however, social networking sites (even these types of forums) may change that in the future. 

You'll let me know when, wont-cha?:|

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 25 of 144
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

Said it before and I'll say it again, I would like to see a system where sellers are judged on the basis of adherence to policy, as opposed to the random DSR, or Negative opinion of a buyer. Many of us have heard of the seller who receives a glowing positive feedback, only to have their DSR ratings slaughtered. It would prove beneficial to have a DSR System that was for member information only, not used by eBay as a punitive measure for account standing. If that were possible... why not also have a DBR. I know this may be repetitive, as I have posted this before, but I did like this suggestion by another member, as proposed by ibuyoldgames...

Buying and selling on the same ID is not allowed. Each new member who wants to sell must create a seller account. Those who wish to buy must create a buyer account. Existing members will be able to designate their current ID as either a buyer or a seller. If they then wish to do the other activity, they would need to create the appropriate type of account.

Seller accounts would show tallies for data elements S1 thru S9 as defined below:

S1 - registered date

S2 - Total number of sales

S3 - Total Number of INR's filed against and number won and lost

S4 - Total Number of SNAD's filed against and number won and lost

S5 - Total Number of NPB's filed against buyers and number wond and lost (won = buyer cannot prove payment was made prior to the NPB.)

S-6 thru S-9 Same info for the last 12 month window.

Buyer accounts would show tallies for data elements B1 thru B9 as defined below:

B1 - registered date

B2 - Total number of purchases

B3 - Total Number of INR's filed against sellers and number won and lost

B4 - Total Number of SNAD's filed against sellers and number won and lost

B5 - Total Number of NPB's filed against this member and number won and lost (won = buyer proves payment was made prior to the NPB.)

B6 thru B9 Same info for the last 12 month

window.

Eliminate member to member feedback. Keep DSR's but make them for use by Buyers and Sellers for comparison only. Ebay should not base any account restrictions or rewards on them. This will eliminate the 4=Good / 4=Bad nonsense. Implement a tool that would allow buyers to exclude sellers from their search results based on percentages on S2 - S5 and / or S6 thru S9. Implement a tool that would allow sellers to block potential buyers based on percentages on B2 - B5 and / or B6 thru B9.

Simple, clean and easy... exactly why it will never happen. 🙂

Message 26 of 144
latest reply

Here's an idea--if a seller has to open a UID against a buyer, that buyer should be forbidden for leaving feedback against that seller for that transaction. We've all heard the stories (or had one) where a buyer didn't want to pay, had a UID filed, paid at the last minute, then trashed someone's DSRs for the audacity of wanting to get paid per Ebay's rules. 😕

Also, if a UID needs to be filed, the system should put a note in that buyer's feedback saying that a UID was filed on such and such a date and whether the buyer paid (give them neutral) or didn't (give them negative FB). This way it wouldn't be retaliatory--it would be automated and the buyer couldn't plead ignorance after the first one.

Message 27 of 144
latest reply

I just got off the phone with eBay about this. Truly unacceptable that we can not leave negative feedback for those who do not purchase the item. I had am item like this and the person told me "her friend changed thier mind about the item so i'm not paying for it. do what you have to do, good luck".

Clearly no remorse. Clearly laughing at me.  I opened a nonpaid item case, in which the buyer never responded and it was closed and my fee given back to me by eBay. But then I go to leave negative feedback and it says I can't?? and I can't see the strike?

If I can't leave feedback  - eBay at LEAST put a notice up a negative on our behalf to let everyone know the buyer didn't pay for it.

This whole "well she gets 3 strikes and no longer can be a part of eBay" crap is stupid. You can get however many usernames you want to these days.

I've been a part of eBay for 12 years.. I don't do much on here, from time to time or here and there - but I was truly dissapointed to find this system in place where there is no justification for sellers! Except a fake "strike" that no one sees!

Message 28 of 144
latest reply

You can set up your preferences to automatically block bidders who have gotten 2 nonpayment strikes in the past year This is much more convenient than having to scrutinize every bidder's feedback, which isn't even possible with buy-it-now or last-minute bids.

It has been over 4 years since sellers could leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers. And the "3 (or maybe 4) strikes and you're out" policy is gone. It wasn't very effective anyway, since bidders learned they could just open up a new account.

Message 29 of 144
latest reply

Well that's not what they told me on the phone today. I don't even think I have sold anything in 4 or 5 years on here. But clearly recall the lady telling me today that "three strikes and they can no longer buy or sell on ebay - their account is suspended".

I couldn't have made that up as little as I do on here.  I say all is fair in love and war. If they can leave a negative feedback on me for my item being not as described, then I should be able to leave a negative feedback for them not paying. It's pretty simple.

Otherwise it's fun to just run around and bid on things to toll with people. Maybe i'll bid on a $1,000,000 domain name and then decide 2 weeks after I win that I dont want to pay for it 'because i don't feel like it" since there is no visible and true recourse for not paying for an item. What's the point then? Trust me, the 3 strikes and your out policy is still in place, according to eBay as of this morning.

Message 30 of 144
latest reply