cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do unpaid item strikes show up?

I just opened a case on my non-paying bidder. If he doesn't respond (and I don't think he will, as I already warned him about the pending UID) and he gets a strike, will it show up in his feedback or something? Or is the buyer the only one who will be able to see it?
Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

No one can see how many strikes a buyer has on their account except eBay.

If you have your Buyer Requirements set to block buyers with 2 or more strikes, and you check your Buyer Requirements Activity Log, it will show the buyer's user ID, feedback, and "Too many unpaid items" after that.
Message 2 of 144
latest reply

Yeah, I've checked that....it blocked someone just Monday because of too many unpaid item strikes. I didn't show the ID.

And this from a person with 6218 100% positive (LOL) feedbacks!

My current NPB has a 1025 100% postive feedback. I contacted another seller from his feedback, who had left a false positive (said the guy didn't answer emails or pay), encouraging him to open a UID on this guy, too, so maybe he will get enough strikes that he will start to be on many sellers' blocked lists. The seller said he might, but that he had already done a second chance offer....can you do that on an item that is up in the air like that?
Message 3 of 144
latest reply

can you do that on an item that is up in the air like that?

Sure! You're positive about this deadbeat... Quite a scammer you're trackin' there!
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 4 of 144
latest reply

Yeah, I've checked that....it blocked someone just Monday because of too many unpaid item strikes. I didn't show the ID.

That should be "It didn't show the ID".
Message 5 of 144
latest reply

Thanks for the info on this, I was not aware of being able to block users with a certain number of unpaid item stikes. I recently began doing ebay full time and of hundreds of items I have sold I have had to open about a dozen unpaid item claims. This is always my very last resort, I usually send three invoices explaining that I do not want to have to open an unpaid case. I like to give my customers every chance possible. Most of the time when it does comes down to opening an unpaid item case I don't receive the payment and have to cancel the transaction and receive the final value credit. By the time that anyone else who was bidding on the item has already fulfilled their need so a second chance offer does no good. I am very disappointed with Ebay's version of 'Seller Protection'. There are no repercussions for not paying for an item other than this 'nonpayment strike'-which no one seems to know much about. Sellers are no longer able to leave negative or even neutral feedback while the buyer can say whatever they please. I hope that this 'seller protection' can be adjusted to allow someone to run a smooth ebay business and prevent abuse from buyers who feel they can pick and choose which purchases they pay for.
Message 6 of 144
latest reply

Hi NepaRoyal & welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

A seller on another forum asked eBay about the ability of bad buyers to do as they please without repercussions of Neg FeedBack & the representative's response was:

"We realized that a bad buyer will always be a bad buyer regardless of how many negative feedbacks they receive. Furthermore, even if these bad buyers accumulate a certain number of negative feedbacks that blocks them from bidding on items, they can easily just open another account and continue on their bad ways. In this respect, the unpaid item process is much more effective.

When a bad buyer accumulates a certain amount of unpaid item strikes, the system will eventually suspend their account. In this type of setup, the buyer is now at the mercy of eBay's unpaid item policy criteria to pardon excusable strikes and more so, under the mercy of the seller to excuse the strike. Should they take a detour and create another account, eBay will automatically suspend that new account due to eBay security policy. We now have a bad buyer in a technical confined "space" wherein they cannot harm other eBay members, specially good sellers like you."

So while leaving Neg FeedBack for bad buyers will not return (I believe this is a good policy as buyers should not be spanked in public from knee-jerk retaliatory FeedBack from sellers.) we have been given a tool to lock out the type of buyer that has caused the seller a great amount of aggravation, no?

Hope this helps & good luck on your future sales!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 7 of 144
latest reply

Thanks for the response, that is some useful info and helps me understand the system a little more. It is frustrating and I hope that the system will be effective in what it was intended to do.

The problem I see is that there is nothing to prevent a buyer from getting to the level of being blocked-to possibly change their behavior before they get to that blocking threshold. This system only takes action after a buyer frequently does not fulfilling their 'contract' of paying for a purchased item. I just see that this as putting a block for someone that has abused the system numerous times-that does no good for the sellers unless you are dealing with frequent offender. Furthermore, no where in the policy is a specific number mentioned for the level of unpaid item strikes that would block a user. Is it 10? 20? 100? Ebay would much rather have a user that sometimes pays for items than a user who is never allowed to purchase anything.

I do see the negative feedback as effective, if a buyer is frequently not paying for their purchases and they continue to see 100% rating, they have no reason to change. Seeing that perfect 100% shrink may be the motivation the buyer needs to start being more responsible with the items they are bidding on, especially if they are also involved with selling on the site as well. If a seller does decide to block a user with a certain level of unpaid item strikes they are just simply making their pool of potential buyers smaller. That is why I have taken the gamble not to block any users. What Ebay needs is something that will change the behavior of delinquent buyers and I do not feel the threat of invisible unpaid item strikes is it.

You mentioned knee-jerk retaliatory feedback from sellers. How would you feel if a computer generated negative feedback remark such as "Item was not paid for" was applied? I am not suggesting that sellers should have the right to trash a buyer for not communicating or paying for an item, that is not productive. Ebay members who do not pay for an item do not deserve a 100% feedback rating and sellers should have the right to offer feedback other than calling a transaction 'positive'.

Thank you, NepaRoyal09
Message 8 of 144
latest reply

neparoyal wrote
"no where in the policy is a specific number mentioned for the level of unpaid item strikes that would block a user. Is it 10? 20? 100?"

The last time ebay mentioned the magic number it was 3, well could be 4. The first time a buyer received a strike, if he wrote to ebay pleading ignorance it was removed. So, after 3 or 4 strikes buyer was blocked by ebay.

This was true three years ago, but since then any refernce to magic number has seemed to disappear from ebay, so cannot be sure what it is today...., or tomorrow.
Message 9 of 144
latest reply

I think it's only fair that if a buyer doesn't pay for an item they bid on, e-bay should absolutely leave an automatic feedback that publicly says they didn't pay!! It's the fair thing to do.....why should a buyer get off so easy?
Message 10 of 144
latest reply

Hi Sue & welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

There will be no public "spankings" of deadbeat bidders on eBay. Think of it this way.... Ever make a late payment? Does the company come & put a sign on your house that reads, "Did not pay on time! A real DeadBeat!"? No, they put in your credit score, hidden from public eyes.

Hope this helps & good luck with your future sales!

Message 11 of 144
latest reply

pddawg88062
Enthusiast
What are your guys thoughts on another idea. This may seem a bit harsh, but for the most part, guarantees that there will be no unpaid buyers. The idea is: before a buyer bids, he must pay to ebay a fee equal to the current "value" of the item. This value is determined by ebay only and is set to be sort of an average of the sale prices of similar items in the past (I understand this itself could be hard to determine). Ebay then "holds onto" these funds until the auction is complete. That way ebay can then pay the seller with these funds however much the item sold for and the buyer can pay the difference or be returned the difference. This way, the buyer cannot win without at least having paid a substantial amount). Thoughts?
Message 12 of 144
latest reply

I'm sure eBlech would love that, but I can imagine that 98% of all buyers would stop bidding and the site would fail inside of 6 months.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 13 of 144
latest reply

pddawg88062
Enthusiast
Could you elaborate?
Message 14 of 144
latest reply

Ebay would love to have bidders money flowing into it's coffers even before a bid was placed.

I just can't see how any bidders would stay with a site that makes them pay upfront before they bid.

Do they have to pay each time they bid on the same item?
If they get outbid right away do they get their money back right away.?
If they bid $10 for a $250 item , do they have to front eBay $250 for that $10 bid.?

This sounds so convoluted that it would drive bidders away in hordes.....then the sellers would follow ....and ebay would be KAPUT !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 15 of 144
latest reply