cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Happening to Ebay??

nateowens1
Enthusiast
I can't believe what is happening to Ebay, this site was once a god send for entrepreneurs and people strapped for cash and they are nothing now but overpriced corporate bullies, I mean seriously, what is going on at these strategy meetings up there with Ebays to dogs. I have never seen a business try so hard to completely destroy their brand, screw their base and murder their business. The stuff they are pulling with the DSR's and limiting small seller accounts and fees on shipping and putting holds on peoples money is just crazy, they are nothing but big bullies. Think about it, they are destroying so many peoples businesses and for many in this economy, an only source for cash. what kind of people do that? Its really sad, I know for me this was such an important source of cash, I lost my job and because of a few bad buyers that Ebay now chooses to protect my family is quickly going under, I wish someone up top would take a few and reflect on the pain they are causing so many, especially in these very hard times. I have come to realize that Ebay is a dying business, you cant deny it, look at their stock over the last 2 years, look at their business practices, some that I am pretty sure are not even legal like discrimination or allowing and encouraging buyer fraud. Yes Ebay is huge but believe me, they will fall. Just like when Google took out Yahoo or when Facebook slapped down My Space, its just a matter of time, and hopefully it will be sooner rather than latter, what they have become is sad and awful. After 11 years Im saying goodbye, and it actually hurts, this was important to me, for many years, and I put in alot of time and energy like so many others that Ebay is stepping all over now. Goodbye
Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Now Hotel California..... There's lotsa ID's that do that! Not all of them can be classed as pathetic. Some are malingerers, pot stirrers & whiners!;-):^O

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 16 of 147
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker
Maybe, in light of the repetitive "I'm Leaving eBay" posts, we should reconsider our name.

As opposed to the current, Part-Time eBay Sellers Discussion Board,
we should be called the, Full-Time I'm Leaving eBay Whiners Board.

As opposed to being Pharties, we could be Departies.
In order to become a valued member of the Departies,
you must post that you are leaving a minimum of 120 times.
If you post in CAPS... 100 posts will suffice.

Just a thought...
never said, it was a good one.

B-)
Message 17 of 147
latest reply

Your absolutely right and I apologize to the malingerers, pot stirrers & whiners! lol....

Naaaawwww! I don't think you should apologize to them.... Keep posting positive info here the best medicine to cure what ails them!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 18 of 147
latest reply

Maybe, in light of the repetitive "I'm Leaving eBay" posts, we should reconsider our name.

As opposed to the current, Part-Time eBay Sellers Discussion Board,
we should be called the, Full-Time I'm Leaving eBay Whiners Board.

As opposed to being Pharties, we could be Departies.
In order to become a valued member of the Departies,
you must post that you are leaving a minimum of 120 times.
If you post in CAPS... 100 posts will suffice.

Just a thought...
never said, it was a good one.

B-)

While good in theory it fails in implementation. Can't see Departies catching on here,:^O

Message 19 of 147
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker
Can't see Departies catching on here,:^O

We could call them Zombies...
They claim that they are done...
but the keep coming back,
time, after time, after time...
with the same old message,
that they are done on eBay.

B-)
Message 20 of 147
latest reply

Now that fits! From now on the Phartie code word is Zombie for ID's that return to post they're done yet still have listings. Or whine after they've stopped listing. Or, or.....

Message 21 of 147
latest reply

tech.know.redneck
Enthusiast

Seems like a lot of buyers don't get what they pay for !

&

All those bargains , seem to cost less today than when they were bought !

You are correct!

I see many antiquey (new word he he) that my mother paid $40-$50 for in 2005 routinely go for $10-$20 now. 🙂
Message 22 of 147
latest reply

I will never understand the need to go on a rant about how terrible ebay is. If it sucks that bad why not spend that energy selling somewhere else.

The only motive I can think of is maybe they are trying to convince more people to leave to whatever auction site to drive up exposure for what they are selling on www.notraffic.com

:)

that's good enough motive for me. ebay has become a terrible place for average people to try and sell stuff. there are too many people playing games and trying to rip you off and you can't do much about it.
Message 23 of 147
latest reply

Is it still worth selling on eBay? A good real-world example with cost analyisis:

http://www.infobarrel.com/Is_Ebay_Worth_It

Message 24 of 147
latest reply

Good article dino. Of course, this article was written with the assumption that the reader wasn;t a regular seller, didn't have a shipping scale and didn't process and pay their postage online through PayPal or Ebay (Which is still way cheaper than standing in line at the P.O.). I have to tell ya, since the day I realized I could have my packages postage printed right here at home and have the post office pick them up from me for free..... I have never done it the other way, and I will never go back to doing it that way.

I just think the three most important things any seller on ebay can do for themselves (whether a casual seller as the article suggests) or a regular (whether FT or PT seller) is to KNOW ALL FEES INVOLVED prior to listing any individual item (I've actually witheld items because it wasn't worth to list on here once I calculated the fees), invest in a shipping scale (it would even come in handy when shipping packages to family and friends-especially around THIS time f year!) and do as much postage printing on-line. It can also even be done right through the UPS website. Request the package to be picked up for you at no cost and life has just been made so much simpler!

Message 25 of 147
latest reply

It's obvious that selling on ebay may NOT be a wise choice for average sellers anymore... Seems the buyer gets the bargain, ebay / paypal / USPS get the fees & profits, and the seller gets the shaft. Ugh.. maybe time for an exodus to one of the other 'less traveled' auction sites? ...lower traffic, yes ...but also lower (or even no) fees. What to do? What to do?

Message 26 of 147
latest reply

dovecity: I would not stop selling on eBay because for 16% fees you get:

Top Ten Auction Websites review:

Summary:

We found eBay to be the largest, most well-known, organized and comprehensive online auction service available. Often, it is the first place people go when shopping for auction products. There wasn’t anything we couldn’t find on eBay. Although eBay may be the highest priced auction we reviewed, we also found they have the highest exposure and membership. With eBay, you’re getting more bang for your buck. eBay is THE name in online auctions, and for good reason. eBay has the most complete lineup of features for buyers and sellers alike.

And read this thread :

Change Is In The Air.... And I Don't Mean Fall!

are proof that 2012 may indeed be a much better year for sellers!

.............................................................................................

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." W. C. Fields

Message 27 of 147
latest reply

Thanks for article, dino.

I agree with you Owl - you HAVE to know how much you need to sell anything for before you put the listing on. If you don't do that, that's on YOU, not ebay, paypal, or even the shipping co. If you are looking to sell a single item on ebay and make a load of cash, you had better have a great item. Unfortunately though, because you are inexperienced, and are only selling a single item, you probably have a very low FB score, meaning that a lot of "good" buyers probably aren't going to be real excited to fork over a bunch of money for that item from you.... what a viscious game!

The article was good, but you could really tell where it was going, and here's what I took from it - I know darned well I can't sell that item for big money at a yardsale, because often, that's where I just purchased it so cheap! My wife holds a couple yardsales a year, and we do ok... a couple bucks at a time... but I don't remember her ever having one that was a week long, and had a couple MILLION shoppers pass through it. And where are these "other places" that are so quick turning? I sure don't want some jokers coming by my house every day or two from Craigslist just to check out my latest $9 item, and then offer me less for it!

I'm not rich from this, by any means, but really, as long as I think I can sell whatever I put on here for 4 times what I paid (for small items), I know I'll do well. So really, I can drink beer at home while making a few bucks on ebay, or... I can just drink beer at home. 🙂

If you "collect" things, and you are not a part time ebay seller, well... you're just a hoarder.
Message 28 of 147
latest reply

And, yeah, this was my first post in this group, but I think somebody should start a highly emotional slow clap right about now.

If you "collect" things, and you are not a part time ebay seller, well... you're just a hoarder.
Message 29 of 147
latest reply

As someone who has been a casual seller and avid buyer with 100% feedback for YEARS, I suddenly find myself in the position of being harassed by a buyer and jerked around by eBay "customer support."  All the rules have shifted in favor of buyers and all profits have shifted to eBay, PayPal and USPS.  There is no incentive for the casual seller like me to stick their neck out.  Not only did I lose money, but I lost my 100% feedback due to shady retaliatory members working in cahootz.  eBay initially agreed with me but as the matter got escalated, they changed their tune and now they are speaking to me in patronizing tones and telling me their employees lied to me about this issue to placate me and "get me off the phone."  WTH?!?!  I am so done with eBay.

Message 30 of 147
latest reply