cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Happening to Ebay??

nateowens1
Enthusiast
I can't believe what is happening to Ebay, this site was once a god send for entrepreneurs and people strapped for cash and they are nothing now but overpriced corporate bullies, I mean seriously, what is going on at these strategy meetings up there with Ebays to dogs. I have never seen a business try so hard to completely destroy their brand, screw their base and murder their business. The stuff they are pulling with the DSR's and limiting small seller accounts and fees on shipping and putting holds on peoples money is just crazy, they are nothing but big bullies. Think about it, they are destroying so many peoples businesses and for many in this economy, an only source for cash. what kind of people do that? Its really sad, I know for me this was such an important source of cash, I lost my job and because of a few bad buyers that Ebay now chooses to protect my family is quickly going under, I wish someone up top would take a few and reflect on the pain they are causing so many, especially in these very hard times. I have come to realize that Ebay is a dying business, you cant deny it, look at their stock over the last 2 years, look at their business practices, some that I am pretty sure are not even legal like discrimination or allowing and encouraging buyer fraud. Yes Ebay is huge but believe me, they will fall. Just like when Google took out Yahoo or when Facebook slapped down My Space, its just a matter of time, and hopefully it will be sooner rather than latter, what they have become is sad and awful. After 11 years Im saying goodbye, and it actually hurts, this was important to me, for many years, and I put in alot of time and energy like so many others that Ebay is stepping all over now. Goodbye
Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Re: What is Happening to Ebay??

photo thread-resurrected.jpg

Message 46 of 147
latest reply

Yup  Resurrected by yet another poster who takes their valuable time making lots of money elsewhere to come by and tell us how well they are doing elsewhere.

One wonders why, if elsewhere is so good, they took the time to dredge up this thing to add their words of warning & wisdom to what was effectively a dead thread.

I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand such successful-elsewhere folks.  :_|

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 47 of 147
latest reply

Yeah ebay sucks. IM having so much more success on that "other" "E" site:)

What's more confusing is, if things are so good elsewhere, why are they still selling here?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=mybluebag&_ipg=100&rt=nc

Message 48 of 147
latest reply

buyinsellin_2013
Enthusiast

Ok, if you sellers who are leaving eBay in droves are doing well elsewhere- please tell the rest of us what these awesome new sites are?

It doesn't help you to keep them a secret- they need traffic to get the sales, so the more people that know, the better. Don't forget, most people that sell (especially part time sellers) buy too. We can't buy stuff there if we don't know what it is.

Write it in code if you have to. 

Message 49 of 147
latest reply

Write it in code if you have to. 

Day R knot photo: Staffordshire Knot knot.jpgreally leaf photo: Leaf leaf.jpging, just B itching photo: sm scratching headbut itching.gif

Message 50 of 147
latest reply

:^OGreat 1 BD!;-)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 51 of 147
latest reply

I can't believe what is happening to Ebay, this site was once a god send for entrepreneurs and people strapped for cash and they are nothing now but overpriced corporate bullies, I mean seriously, what is going on at these strategy meetings up there with Ebays to dogs. I have never seen a business try so hard to completely destroy their brand, screw their base and murder their business.

Since it's been resurrected: here we are, two years later, and eBay has not only NOT murdered their business or destroyed their brand, they're more profitable than ever and their stock price is way up.

Yes, eBay has changed, but somehow they're still making money.

Message 52 of 147
latest reply

Morning Doc.... eBay stock 5 year growth above. They must be doing something right going from $10.50 after the recession to $55.00 today;-)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 53 of 147
latest reply

thats total BS, plenty of other sites out there with many times the volume of business we get on ebay, ebay is like a last resort stop for stuff we can't get rid of otherwise, other sites offer many times the volume of business for less fees and the marketplace staff actually tries to protect the marketplace equally from both buyers who scam and sellers who scam, 

ebay is done

they will be gone by this time next year

Message 54 of 147
latest reply

http://www.ebay.com/csc/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&LH_Complete=1&_armrs=1&_ssn=music.magnetic&_ipg=50&rt=nc 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/music.magnetic/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=m571.l1625

We'll have a Zombie alert for that:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/marktwain141773.html

Message 55 of 147
latest reply

ebay is done

See ya next year... :^O

Message 56 of 147
latest reply

From a buying point of view . I almost never even think of Ebay anymore . Less and less auctions and a ton of cheap poorly made crap from China with 30 day shipping times under buy it now . Forget about selling they take far to much for me to do that and it can take a while to actually get what is left of your money after they take there cut .

Message 57 of 147
latest reply

Click "US ONLY"
China goes away.
🙂
Message 58 of 147
latest reply

I have been a long time Buyer and Seller on ebay Selling vintage tube and Ham electronics. ebay was for a long time the best option for dealing in an auction enviornment. Over time, and especially with their implementation of the DSR rating system, it has been, in my opinion a nightmare for Sellers and has hurt, rather than helped Buyers. The biggest issue I have with DSR's is that they are not quantifiable and should not be used to to penalize the Seller by giving lower discounts, holding their money for up to 21 days and then possibly suspending them indefinately, especially when their feedback is, or almost 100% possitive. This did not happen to me, but it did to a friend I was helping make ends meet as a result of unemployment.

Most Buyers are unaware of the severe consiquences ebay imposes based on these ratings. I have been adding the following tag line to all of my listings in order to help:

" Please Note: Buyer, you may not be aware of the effect the five star DSR rating system has on a Seller and the consequences of ebay's actions. Let me point out what may happen if you do not rate the Seller with, or close to five stars:

1.) Sellers fees will increase

2.) Seller will not have access to the funds made in payment to the item for up to 21 days even though Paypal has debited you

3.) Seller may be restricted to the number of listings they can make in a month thereby limiting their income

4.) Very quickly, ebay will indefinitely suspend the Seller thereby rendering them "unemployed" and no longer able to sell items that may be of interest to you.

All of this will happen even if the Seller has 100% positive feedback! And by the way, the Seller has to pay full ebay and Paypal fees on your shipping charges.

I am saying this not for my benefit, for I for one will be significantly reducing my listings on ebay, and expect to one day have my account closed. Fortunately, I am a hobbyist and do not depend on ebay, others may. If you have a problem with a Seller, please contact them. Ratings of less than five stars should be reserved and used as a last resort. If you are not leaving negative feedback, you should rate your Seller appropriately"

If you agree, please feel free to use any, or all of the above verbage. I would love to hear any comments, good or bad.

joe in virginia

Message 59 of 147
latest reply

AMEN!

Message 60 of 147
latest reply