• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

USPS Parcel Select VS Parcel Post

As a part-time smaller scale seller, I try to

keep everything easy & light. Ebay has recently

disclaimed that USPS has done away with Parcel Post

which will now be substituted by Parcel Select.

The last few items I listed had that new option

in place of Parecel Post, & when I went to the post

office the other day to ship, I inquired about the

change.

I was told that Parcel Select is for Pre-Paid shipping labels

usually only used by stores & businesses that have higher

volume sales. They are suppose to make returns easier as well.

I was also told Parcel Post will now be called Standard Post.

I checked that out on their website using the zip code & package

dimensions & weight of a package I will ship today,

and sure enough, Standard Post was listed, but in comparrison

to the Parcel Select Rate (3.42), Standard Parcel rate is 3.60.

Small part-time sellers need to call ebay to have

Standard Post added to the shipping options. If it is not

added to that list of options, sellers will choose Parcel Select as one of

their offered options & will end up paying more to have each

package shipped via Standard Post.

Please use plain text.
bostongrammy
Community Member

Re: USPS Parcel Select VS Parcel Post

in reply to goodiecar

The service formerly known as Parcel Post is now known separately as Standard Post (retail) and Parcel Select (online).

eBay has totally messed this up. Not only will they not offer printing of Parcel Select labels until March, but the shipping calculator is showing Parcel Select prices even when it's left at the default setting that shows the retail (i.e., over the counter at the PO) prices for  Priority Mail and First Class packages.

Fortunately, other third parties like endicia and stamps.com do offer printing for Parcel Select and stamps.com apparently has a free version for eBay sellers:

http://www.stamps.com/welcome/custom/ebay/

There have been several reports like yours of counter clerks stating that Parcel Select is only for high volume shipping but they are apparently not aware that USPS publications including their own Domestic Mailing Manual and Notice 123 (the rates publication) have both been revised to clearly state that "PC Postage" (that's us) is exempted from this requirement. You can't print an online label that you're not qualified to print.

Please use plain text.
mintrobmint
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

Bg....if im understanding your post right...your saying even after eBay adds the online option PS that we will not be qualified to use it per notice:123..?

Please use plain text.
bostongrammy
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

No, I'm saying that we WILL be eligible, because eBay postage is "PC Postage:" 

Please use plain text.
mintrobmint
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

Thank you BG....for the time being I have switched to Fedex for those larger parcels until March.

Please use plain text.
strugglevilleauctions
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

Stamps.com was really an easy temporary solution for myself.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Please use plain text.
strugglevilleauctions
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

Stamps.com was really an easy temporary solution for myself.

Also, I use my paypal debit card to purchase the postage on stamps.com so on any parcel select item i am getting the 1 percent back on paypal debit card purchases.  Not a big deal but hey every little bit helps

Please use plain text.
meekopla
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

You have to remember that ebay is providing shipping methods at a discount because they have at least 1/2 of us using it. The other 1/2 Paypal. So they have worked out a deal with ALL their shipping carriers so that we can all use it at reduced rate. So it makes sense to say that Parcel Select is a product for all here on eBay as mentioned.

The shipping website mentioned to take care of eBay temporary delay induction into the labeling program, appears to have filled the void for some. They may be loosing Sellers that want a dependable shipping site to use every day.

Why don't you give it a try? March is coming soon enough and then you will see that your product will be Parcel Select.

" The real secret of happiness is not what you have or what you receive; it's what you share. " - anonymous
Please use plain text.
ohrememberwhen
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

The Stamps.com site is not free.  It has a 4 week free trial period and after that, it's $15.99 per month.  This applies to everyone according to your link.

Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

Stamps.com & Endicia both charge a monthly fee plus whatever you use in postage.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

I don't understand why a company like ebay was not on top of this change in shipping.  Why is Parcel Select not available until March!  I sell on another site (b*etsy), and they already have Parcel Select up and running on their site.  Another big fail on ebay.

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

I don't understand why a company like ebay was not on top of this change in shipping.

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

yes , this is big problem i just spent over 1 hour in the post office and lost a lot of money  because ebay has decided to remove the the lower cost shipping ,whatever you want to call it, parcel post or parcel select, in the middle of my listing .,this kind of shipping is a necessity for me, because of where i am, where i normally ship to, and weight of course.also usps a raised the rates and i left the post office today feeling like i have been robbed something is very wrong with ebay shipping right now and  i will not listing  any thing until they fix it .i can not afford to give things away because ebay and the post office are not on the same page .

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

I know, Honda.  But sometimes it just amazes me that ebay is still in business.  If only one of the other sites could deliver the audience that ebay does, I bet most of us would be out of here.

Basically, ebay offers their customers (sellers) two services:

1.  Listing service---which in my opinion is overpriced compared to other venues.  On betsy, I pay 20 cents for a 4 month listing.  And we all know about the numerous glitches that affect our listings.

2.  Postage service---which for the most part is fine, except for the major screw-up over parcel post/parcel select. 

This is all ebay has to offer as a business.  You can't tell me ebay was caught by surprise by the postal increase and the change to postal select.  I'm sure the postal service has a whole department that works with ebay as a client.  Betsy isn't anywhere near as large as ebay, but they got it right.  I think whoever is in charge of shipping at ebay (probably JD's brother-in-law) should be fired for not being on top of things.

And I won't even address their feedback system and dysfunctional customer service department.

So I guess my rhetorical question was:  Why isn't there another service out there that can put ebay out of business? 

Please use plain text.
strugglevilleauctions
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

stamps.com does not just have a free trial.  They have a different type of account that is completely free to ebay users but you can only get labels for items sold through ebay.

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

So I guess my rhetorical question was: Why isn't there another service out there that can put ebay out of business?

I'ts an excellent question. Two things that stand out for me, one is "Brand" name and a successful fall-back cash cow, PayPal.

The only other auction site I've seen on TV recently is> http://www.quibids.com/en/ .... Pssst, don't click on it, waste of time, think "If it fits-It ships!" for eBay's "Brand". And PayPal is makin' moola hand over fist to cover their Dupa's so they can tweek everything they want untill they get the iPod APP subscribers to bid or buy from their bus ride to work when they're bored and want to "sport bid" remotely..

OK, my rant over. My sales still fine, sold 22 of 26 items listed since end of last year, my best sell through rate ever ever. But it doesn't mean it couldn't be better for the masses, NewBees starting out, regular's getting scammed, Chinese junk filling search so your stuff buried, etc.

.Back to my eBay Cheerleader position, third from the right!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
ibuy6262
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

Hubba, hubba, Honda:-x

I rescued my dog and he rescued me!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

Hubba, hubba, Honda:-x

Please use plain text.
susnmcmahon
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

I still put Parcel Select as an option in my lisitngs, I will just go down to the PO and buy the postage until March.  Often times Priority isn't much more or even less with the online discount, so when a buyer chooses Parcel sometimes I just upgrade to Priority if it is barely more or obviously if it is less.  I haven't really researched what the difference is except the guy at my PO said tracking is required now for that service, not sure if you have to buy it seperate or if it is added into the price.

I hardly list on "Betsy" anymore even though I like their site and my customers there.  I can't stand that they don't have a shipping calculator.  I live in Mass, how can I figure out a flat rate for the whole country?  Too aggrivating.  And only 5 pictures with a crummy picture host that you have to use, no embedding with Photobucket as I prefer.  I find stuff takes months to sell sometimes, I want to sell my stuff within a week. 

You can accept payments with out PayPal there which I suppose is a big plus for some.  Idk it just took me way longer to do listings on that site and the traffic seems down for vintage stuff.  I think Ebay offers a better product overall.  Also I think Betsy customer service is fairly non-responsive like Ebay. 

Please use plain text.
mintrobmint
Community Member

in reply to goodiecar

@susn- You choose parcel select and go down to the post office and purchase it until march?

Good luck with that considering its not available at the post office to us.

Please use plain text.