eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
kilnntime
Community Member

Sure could use more free listings :)

Well last month I didn't get "invited" to partake in the week of free listings :smileysad:  sadly, no sure what determined  who got the coveted invites, just know it wasn't me.  :smileysad: 

As much as I wish I sold enough to justify paying to list, I don't . 

So the point of this post ? 

I hope ebay will give us more free listings and this time not use the "invite" and if they do then please  "invite me" lol. 

Hope everyone is having a great month and selling millions.  My sales have been a bit slower than normal, perhaps its the change in the weather has people more outside? idk, hopefully it will pick up again. 

Please use plain text.
catacombing
Community Member

Re: Sure could use more free listings :)

in reply to kilnntime

I'm feeling Blue, Too:-(

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

i have used up my 50 free for the month...  it should be unlimited freebees..... EBAY STILL GONNA GET PAID!!!!! when they sell..

I only work so I can Hunt
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

i have used up my 50 free for the month...  it should be unlimited freebees..... EBAY STILL GONNA GET PAID!!!!! when they sell..

I also used my 50 up and would agree with you, swamp, it should be unlimited. I mean you would think that the more that actually sells the more E-Bay gets from fees (including PayPal).

I have over 100 items that I would like to relist, but refuse to pay any listing fee since I would lose any profit. I am trying to save for a new (used) car and I am selling stuff to try to get to $1000.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Ditto.... sittin on about 80 myself.... thank GOD for the Ranch.. sales might be slow but atleast I can list all of my stuff...

Please use plain text.
catacombing
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Thanks for mentioning the up side of putting my stuff in a corral on the ranch.  I usually get a sale there every 2-3 months. 

Now I'm gonna cry:_|

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

I have had 3 sales there in the lst few weeks [not a lot I know].. but I am have the crud promoted out of it by someone and it seems to be working..

Please use plain text.
billy_biggle_fan
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

I opine that 50 free listings a month is plenty; certainly not unlimited listings a month.  That's enough for your average hobby user to sell a few things a month with limited fees.  I didn't even like those listing specials where they allowed sellers to list up to 50,000 items for free.

There has to be some upfront risk to listing.  Otherwise, well, how much overpriced junk do you want clogging up the search results, sitting there for years and never selling, and driving away buyers because eBay only has stale overpriced inventory?  We have enough of that already.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Otherwise, well, how much overpriced junk do you want clogging up the search results, sitting there for years and never selling, and driving away buyers because eBay only has stale overpriced inventory?  We have enough of that already.

Here is the thing BBF sometimes things that don't sell one day WILL sell the next day. It just depends on when that person (bidder/buyer) happens to look on E-Bay. I have items that I've relisted a couple of times that didn't sell, but I listed it again and all of a sudden it finally sold. So it is a matter of timing and I can't time it perfect so I would like my stuff out there all the time until it sells. So unless I am willing to lose any possible profit I have to wait for E-Bay to let the items be out there for free.

PS One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Please use plain text.
kilnntime
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

I think unlimited would be wonderful and would make so much more sense.   50 listings is enough for the occassional seller who pops  in,  lists a couple items and is gone as soon as those items are gone or until they decide to go dump it off at the thrift store.  The part time sellers who are trying to make some extra bucks to cover their monthly bills , well its not enough listings,  as we generally have more stock ,  and as said above while an item may not sell this weeks run because the right buyer hasn't  looked at ebay , they may be looking in two weeks or payday / week.   Most part time sellers know what will sell and for how much , so generally the reason items do not sell is not because its overpriced but because the right buyers are not looking at that time or they are but don't have the funds to spend at that time.  I can not count how many people have messaged me after an item has run asking if I will rerun it  at the end of the month so that they can get it when they get paid, or the number of buyers who message me after winning and ask if they can pay on friday or a week from friday,lol. 

Listing on ebay is expensive and when you add to it  the final value fees and the shipping fees and the paypal fees , it can be near impossible to make money.    Say I pay 5.00 for an item ,  and I list it and sell it for 20.00 free ship ,  then calculating 20.00 -.90 paypal fee for the person paying for it,  then add 1.80 to ebay, say the item is going to cost 3.50 to ship it , there is 6.20 plus the 5.00 for the item and then your at 11.20 only leaving 8.80  for profit.  Now in order to make even 100.00 extra a week , I would have to sell about 12 items a week.  If I had a great sell thru rate of 50% of the items selling  I would have to list 24 items per week, so 50 is not enough free listings and its just not worth paying to list more due to the listing fees and as in my example here at best only 1/2 of the items will sell and if you listed 24 items at just 50cents per item that would be another 12.00 in fees, or meaning  1 1/2 items sold with 0 profit.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

If a seller can not make a profit including all expenses (listing fee included) then it would seem obvious they are listing unwanted merchandise and should change the the line or quit. Ole saying - "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

Please use plain text.
cmarie0802
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

i feel the same way....do not want to list anymore.

Waiting on free listing days!!!

I would listing a lot more items if free listing was a regulary thing.

Please use plain text.
kilnntime
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Well Artie , everyone is not as fortunate as you to have the ability to pick just the right items to list and get sold on the first listing run.  If we all were as brilliant as you , well we wouldn't be part time sellers, we would be full time sellers making millions on ebay, but instead we are part time sellers who make part time incomes when we are not at full time jobs.  Perhaps someday we will all be able to read peoples minds out there in the general population and know exactly what they want and what they want to pay for it and when they will happen to get online to shop for it on ebay so we too can list and sell everything without worrying about paying listing fees for items that do not sell on the first run. :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Actually my sales are down 65% from 2011. No crystal fortune telling ball at my home. But when I do sell I make a good profit that keeps the store open and a chance at another sale. In recent times, book, music, dvd, stores all have closed because they were selling merchandise/product/service that people no longer wanted. Perhaps that is your problem. Now don't get me started on the sellers that go to charity used clothing stores for the poor and buy merchandise meant for the poor and try and sell the clothing for a profit on eBay. SHAME!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

@billy_biggle_

the only problem I have with that is it's not actually 50 free a month for the entire month... It's more like 25 one week the 25 the next and your done..

I have tried to break it down to 13 one week and 13 the next week etc etc etc... but then you just don't have the exposure.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

I just bought about 25 "new" items from yard sales today and could use more listings. I agree with what was said before the casual seller wouldn't list more, but those of us trying to get extra money for whatever we need it for do need the extra listings.

Also I don't want to spend the money on opening an E-Bay store just to have "free" listings. (Anything that I have to pay for is not free.)

Please use plain text.
mintrobmint
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Sounds like some of you could use some of my 500 +50 free!.....:-p

5100056609_borrow..JPG
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

yes I could.... I also bought about 25 more items at yard/Estate sales today...lol

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Yes, Mint, could you please pass them on. :-p

Please use plain text.
billy_biggle_fan
Community Member

in reply to kilnntime

Here is the thing BBF sometimes things that don't sell one day WILL sell the next day. It just depends on when that person (bidder/buyer) happens to look on E-Bay. I have items that I've relisted a couple of times that didn't sell, but I listed it again and all of a sudden it finally sold. So it is a matter of timing and I can't time it perfect so I would like my stuff out there all the time until it sells. So unless I am willing to lose any possible profit I have to wait for E-Bay to let the items be out there for free.

PS One man's junk is another man's treasure.

If you calculate the listing fee by week, then a 30-day fixed price listing at $0.50 is just under $0.12 per week.  It's not free; but not expensive either, even with the slightly higher final value fee.

The argument could be made that eBay should also give sellers 50 free fixed price listings per month.  I wouldn't have an issue with that.  That would allow more sellers more listings with no upfront fees, while still discouraging stale inventory on the site.  Let's assume that they won't be doing that.

If you are selling here to make an income, then some upfront expenses must be expected; though of course those expenses should be minimized.  Fixed price works well for what it is intended to do, allowing sellers to list an item at a price that they want long enough to find the right buyer.  Use it to its full advantage.

Assuming that you will be listing single items or lots for sale:

- Use fixed price for items where the price is known and sales are less consistent.

- Use auctions for items where either the price is unknown, or sales occur regularly.

Part of my pricing formula assumes that the item will sit unsold for a year.  If we sell an item exactly 12 months after it's listed, we make a small profit (near break-even).  If it sells faster, which most items do, we make more money.  12 x 0.50 = 6

Your own formulas may vary, of course.  Let's use mine as an example.  If you have an item that you want to list as fixed price so that the right buyer can find it when they want it, assume a $6 listing fee when you purchase the item, and buy/price accordingly.

Please use plain text.