cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Sniping!

chris.nall25
Enthusiast
I just recently started my eBay business and along with all the research I've been doing about buyer trends etc... I've noticed this idea of sniping and sniping services essentially nulling the point of an auction. Can we suggest eBay institute a system change if so where do we do that? My suggestion would be any bid placed within the last minute automatically extends the auction by 1 minute. This would allow the person willing to pay the most actually won the auction. Can you imagine going to a live auction where the auctioneer held a stop watch and whoever blurted out the loudest in the last 2 seconds won? No of course not, why should eBay be any different. eBay and sellers would make more money, The buyer who wants it the most gets it. Seems like a win win to me. What are your thoughts?
Message 1 of 265
latest reply
264 REPLIES 264

Stop Sniping!

joeninc
Enthusiast

More nonsense. The sniper bid the most he's willing to pay, but still wins the item for a low enough price that they can resell for a profit?

Come back when you have an argument that makes at least a little sense.

Your responses unquestionably prove that you and sniping use a bully tactic. You are rude, offensive and non professional. I have no desire to engage in any type of discussion with you on this topic or any other for that matter.
Message 61 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

joeninc
Enthusiast

Your responses unquestionably prove that you and sniping use a bully tactic. You are rude, offensive and non professional. I have no desire to engage in any type of discussion with you on this topic or any other for that matter.

BTW, welcome to my BBL.
Message 62 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

the_lurker
Enthusiast

If you think that's rude, crude, non-professional and bullying, wait until some of the regulars have at you.

And I'm not joking either.
Message 63 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Is that my Q ?
You must have seen that among all the Pharties, I speak out against name calling more than most.

Joe didn't say " That's rude" , he " You are rude & offensive ", referring of course to The Dr.
( who BTW , I consider to be a regular too... )

So , Joe ..while I may not agree with everything you have to say , I will stand up for your right to say it , with the same vim & vigor that I also have for the Dr.'s right to express his opinion.

That being said , calling someone names is childish and out of line .

That kind of behavior is uncalled for in a public forum such as this and is best kept for the school yard at recess.

If you do not desire to have an exchange of ideas with a certain member , then just hit the " Ignore" link under his avatar and be done with it.

But don't answer him and call him names !!!

You owe the Dr. an apology !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 64 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Sniping deters a percentage of bidders who really would like to have the item and who are even willing to pay a little more to win it.

If those bidders would make up their minds from the beginning what is the highest price they are willing to pay, then bid that, then they won't have to worry about all that.

Of course, as sellers, we love emotional bidders....the kind who just can't let someone else win and will bid more than they really want to pay....but those often back out after the auction is over and they've cooled off, I think.
Message 65 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I think that I might have said this Two Years Ago... But sniping is what turned this place towards all BIN's.

So just put your stuff up as a BIN "Until Canceled" for 50¢ a month and go about your business.

Kilntime said -- "No matter what I bid on and lose there will be another just like it listed soon to bid on later."
That depends on what you are bidding on. I just saw an Ovation "Sweetwater T" guitar up for auction...
There are only 16 of these on the Planet (I own one)... Therefore it will NOT appearing again next week.

If I did enough business to open a Store, I would only run ONE DAY auctions.
When my item appeared on your "Newly Listed" search, you would only have one day to have to deal with bidding.

And I am so happy that someone resurrected a two-year-old thread.
They musta been really bored, huh?
😛
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 66 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

BTW, welcome to my BBL.

ROFLMAO!
Message 67 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

joeninc
Enthusiast
Is that my Q ?
You must have seen that among all the Pharties, I speak out against name calling more than most.

Joe didn't say " That's rude" , he " You are rude & offensive ", referring of course to The Dr.
( who BTW , I consider to be a regular too... )

So , Joe ..while I may not agree with everything you have to say , I will stand up for your right to say it , with the same vim & vigor that I also have for the Dr.'s right to express his opinion.

That being said , calling someone names is childish and out of line .

That kind of behavior is uncalled for in a public forum such as this and is best kept for the school yard at recess.

If you do not desire to have an exchange of ideas with a certain member , then just hit the " Ignore" link under his avatar and be done with it.

But don't answer him and call him names !!!

You owe the Dr. an apology !

i don't believe I do. strange started the abusive banter and got what he deserved.

BTW, I'm done here. This is my last post. I have no desire to participate on this or any other forum on ebay. You have some nerve telling me I owe that creep an apology especially when it's obvious who started attacking other posters.
Message 68 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

last post, huh? We've heard that before...

Joe you were out of line, calling someone rude who has a different opinion than you, and komo, right on!

Sniping has been around since ebay began, I used to use it so I could buy what I wanted without staying up all hours waiting for a sale to end.

Just put in the amount I want to pay, and it does it's magic sniping in the last few seconds--doesn't mean I get the bid everytime, just meant I didn't have to haunt the listing for those last few seconds.

Doesn't change a thing to the outcome; as a seller, hey at least I sold it, whether I watched one lonely bid for a week or just a -whoosh- at the last minute.

and yes, you do owe this board and Dr S an apology, but it will be easier to stay away than humble yourself after that outburst.

Happy Sales To You!.....Until We Sell Again!
Message 69 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

thanks Plant...and you're right....I forgot to add that he owes the Board an apology as well as the Dr. !
( and did you see how sweet I was in my response.
No name calling or getting out of line !! ...Even Honda would be impressed...! :^O )

Me ...some nerve ??
You have no idea .. boy !

On the other hand ...The Lurker does ! ]:)

Message 70 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker
Dang... Plant sniped my thoughts right outa my head...

Joe, don't let the door hit you in the... ummm?... attitude, on the way out.
Message 71 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Member Id: coketag( 231) US $27.03 Mar-12-11 09:25:27 PST
Member Id: l***a( 682) US $26.03 Mar-12-11 09:25:29 PST --
Member Id: 0***e( 5 ) US $20.50 Mar-12-11 09:24:43 PST --
Member Id: 3***0( 56) US $20.00 Mar-12-11 08:21:17 PST --
Starting Price US $19.99 Mar-07-11 09:25:31 PST

In the above, How would you feel as the seller, if the 3 of us "low life, lowball, lower than dirt snipers" would not have come along? The seller in this case got 7.00 more than if we had jus left this alone. Heck, Some one sniped me, but I was willing to PAY MORE than the other 3 bidders.

If your were to remove the 3 of us, this seller would have only gotten 19.99. I'm sure they are happier that they got more and I don't see 1 reason why they would be upset with us for DRIVING UP the final price.

Maybe I'm missing something???????
Message 72 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Hi Coke : & Welcome To the PT BOARD !!

No , you're not missing anything at all.
As a matter of FACT you're right on the button !
And even though you got SNIPED the highest bid still won and gave the seller more than they listed it for !!

I hit with 2 seconds left.........and gave the seller an extra buck ...but I had the highest bid anyways, no matter when it was placed......

Member Id: komokwa( 1088) US $87.00 Feb-13-11 17:34:29 PST Leave feedback
More actions

Member Id: r***n( 492) US $86.00 Feb-13-11 16:51:25 PST --
Member Id: o***a( 698) US $81.26 Feb-13-11 14:30:18 PST --
Member Id: r***n( 492) US $76.00 Feb-13-11 16:04:11 PST --
Starting Price US $69.99 Feb-08-11 17:34:31 PST

Message 73 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Yes I totally agree, I understand wanting to wait to the last moment to bid but give all of us a chance to rebid, a minute with dialup might not be enough, I've had buyers complain to me about not being able to rebid, I try and enter my top bid when I first bid on an item. Thanks, Ron

In my example above post, I saw this aucion & put it on my watch list. During the next 6 days, I did my research and descided what the MOST (MAX) price with shipping I would pay for said item and when the time came, I placed that bid. You don't know & I won't tell you what my MAX bid was. But if you were one of the other 3 bidders, you want what? More time to rethink and bid what, another dollar. What happens when my snipe proxy still out bids you, you want another minute to rebid another dollar.

Lessons to learn,
1) Bid once & bid the max (not one penny more) that you are willing to pay.
2) You have 3,5,7 or 10 days to figure out what the most you are willing to pay for said widget, until you figure that out, you will lose more & more auctions.
Message 74 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

My max bid was $135.......anybody who wanted that item for $135.01 ....would have out bid me !!

Dat's da fact Jack !

Message 75 of 265
latest reply