cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Sniping!

chris.nall25
Enthusiast
I just recently started my eBay business and along with all the research I've been doing about buyer trends etc... I've noticed this idea of sniping and sniping services essentially nulling the point of an auction. Can we suggest eBay institute a system change if so where do we do that? My suggestion would be any bid placed within the last minute automatically extends the auction by 1 minute. This would allow the person willing to pay the most actually won the auction. Can you imagine going to a live auction where the auctioneer held a stop watch and whoever blurted out the loudest in the last 2 seconds won? No of course not, why should eBay be any different. eBay and sellers would make more money, The buyer who wants it the most gets it. Seems like a win win to me. What are your thoughts?
Message 1 of 265
latest reply
264 REPLIES 264

Stop Sniping!

Neither one has left feedback on the deal

Nothing strange about that either. When did the auction end?

and I checked the bidder's bidding history.

And what did you find?

Any perception of strangeness just because two people placed max bids of $1200 or more is most likely caused by a lack of understanding of proxy bidding.
Message 31 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

As a buyer and occasional seller I like sniping.I employ a sniping service.I bid only what I intend to spend on the item. If I lose out to another sniper, oh well.The item will be up for sale sometime soon.Sniping is great because you do not have to engage in bidding wars.Most of my items sold with snipes.It also allows you to retract the snipe in case you change your mind. Photobucket
Message 32 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I was out-sniped!

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=270365284770

:_|
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 33 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

BUMP IT UP!
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 34 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

At least you're not the one bumping up the 2007 threads over on B.C. today! :^O

I wonder how this OP's business has been going?

""
Message 35 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I wish the OP would stop back to see this snipe! I out-sniped someone elses snipe by 1 second and 1 penny.... Gotta love it!

Message 36 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

How the heck did you get a bid in at :11 and :12...?

""
Message 37 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

For the life of me, I can not figure out why someone would bid on an auction that won't end for say 5 days. You AREN'T going to win the auction that soon. The ONLY bid that counts is the very last one, just as the auction ends. Anything before that is just running up the price. As a seller I think that 's great, but as a buyer it really sucks. When I want to buy something I figure out how much I am willing to pay for it, and wait until the auction is about to end. If they haven't exceeded my maximum bid then, I enter my bid. The closer it gets to the end the better my chances. If someone outbids me, oh well. I have tried some of those sniping programs and find that I can do it better. The secret is in syncing my PC's clock to the eBay clock. Then I have my bid set and ready to go and bang, at 3 seconds off it goes. I get lucky more than 95% of the time. It's not dirty or illegal. The auction goes to the highest bidder. Period. Whether it's an online auction or a face to face, in person auction. It goes to the highest bidder. Losing can leave a bitter taste in your mouth, either way, but you will get over it. You can't change the rules just so YOU will win. You simply try again.
Message 38 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

i've never understood sellers who complain about snipers. i like playing the sniping game, it's how i always bid. if i win in those last few seconds it's because my bid is the highest. what's the problem? if i don't win in those last few seconds i've driven the price of the item up by that increment. again ... what's the problem?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear. Frank Herbert's Dune
Message 39 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

For the life of me, I can not figure out why someone would bid on an auction that won't end for say 5 days.

I can think of a few reasons...

If it has a BIN with no reserve, and you don't wanna pay the BIN but you don't want someone else to buy it.

If it has a reserve and you are fishing for it.

If it has a low starting price and you don't want the seller to be able to change that.

If you wanna bid high enough to scare away the nickel-and-dime folks.

If I really might want to buy it, and I don't want it to get lost among the 50 other things that I am watching.

BTW-- I cannot understand why anybody would have a ten-day, no BIN, auction anyway... But I see that all the time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 40 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

txsunshinesales
Thrill-Seeker
Normally it's the bidders who complain about sniping. I've noticed that most sellers don't have a problem with it cause they can get a higher amount for their items. Regardless, there's no violation for doing it, and never will be.
Years ago there were a couple of auction sites that practiced the on going auction style but they eventually went out of business. I tried one a couple of times and didn't find it very enjoyable. There's a major difference when you're sitting in an auction house waiting for the going, going, gone announcement and sitting at your computer, watching another 5 minutes added to an auction cause someone just placed another bid 30 seconds before it was suppose to end.

I have to disagree with you there. Sniping prevents bidding wars. I noticed the trend of people just watching until the end of the auction in order to get the item at a price as close to the starting price as possible. This defeats the purpose of a seller running an auction for 5 or 7 days. It doesn't matter if the snipers are sniping on their own or using a sniping program, the result is the same. When everyone bids at the last minute there isn't time to top other bids so the item usually sells for a very low price, not at a higher price as you suggest.

Of course there is no violation for doing this and I think ebay actually encourages sniping because then they can make a better point for moving to fixed price auctions like they want. Ebay has already said numerous times that they want to do away with the fleamarket image. They want large sellers with catalogue type items and I believe auctions will soon be a thing of the past on ebay.
Message 41 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

txsunshinesales
Thrill-Seeker

I can think of a few reasons...

If it has a BIN with no reserve, and you don't wanna pay the BIN but you don't want someone else to buy it.

If it has a reserve and you are fishing for it.

If it has a low starting price and you don't want the seller to be able to change that.

If you wanna bid high enough to scare away the nickel-and-dime folks.

If I really might want to buy it, and I don't want it to get lost among the 50 other things that I am watching.

BTW-- I cannot understand why anybody would have a ten-day, no BIN, auction anyway... But I see that all the time.

Because ebay charges extra for the BIN option and once someone places a bid it dissapears, a waste of money for the seller. So what's the point? I think the BIN should stay until bidding has reached the same amount as the BIN price. Because that would allow others to still buy the item for the BIN price if they want it now rather than wait for the auction to end in hopes to get it cheaper than BIN.
Message 42 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I think the BIN should stay until bidding has reached the same amount as the BIN price. Because that would allow others to still buy the item for the BIN price if they want it now rather than wait for the auction to end in hopes to get it cheaper than BIN.

Anyone who's had an auction sell for more than the BIN amount would probably disagree with you. I don't understand why anyone would want to put a ceiling price on an auction.
Message 43 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I look at BIN as a short cut.
If a buyer wants one of my items immediately,
they can BIN (or BO).

If I'm looking for something,
chances are I've already researched it,
figured what I want to pay,
and don't always want to wait for an auction to be over.
Photobucket
Message 44 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

bynightlight
Enthusiast
On the snip bidding.... I sell on eBay, but mostly buy. For ten years I've enjoyed eBay, but noticed that the game has evolved. For instance, I got irritated at last second bidders, and decided to become one. I might place a bid early, then watch the progress over the week, and finally - in the last 10 seconds deliver a bid that might or might not take it. If I really want something, I do it with 20 seconds to go, just to make sure I have time to get another bid in - if someone else has the same goal and focus. I seriously bid - my max, and if his max is more than mine, well, then defeat is outlined at the finish line, and the only difference is the amount time it took for that to happen.
Seriously - eBay is thriving, they are raking it in and I have no desire to continue to line their pockets, but it is still a force to be reckoned with. I buy and sell on Amazon as well, but eBay still has the numbers. Numbers of bidders to look at my stuff equals selling it- verses looking at it on my shelves.
Message 45 of 265
latest reply