cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for a Shipping Label Printer... Zebra? Brother? Dymo?

I am beginning to sell and ship enough so printing 8-1/2 x 11 labels my laser printer, trimming and using clear packing tape to affix them to the package is becoming a pain.  So I've begun looking for a label printer for shipping labels.  While a Zebra seems to be the best option for shipping labels + postage (wider labels), I would like to be able to use the printer to for other household tasks such as printing address labels with postage for holiday cards, labeling folders, bins... Brother and Dymo printers seem to suit general purpose tasks a bit better but are not large enough to print 4"x6" labels.

So what are my options and the best choice for printing shipping labels?  Experiences/Opinions please... Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi leejp,  I've always just used my regular home office printer.  I purchase self-adhesive labels right here on eBay.  I like the ones that come on 8 1/2 x 11" sheets so they feed through my printer just like standard printer paper.  You'll find many sellers here and many options.  Most sheets seem to come with 2 labels per sheet, but I prefer the ones with a single label and keep the lower half for the receipt. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I could do that as well since I have a laser printer... But a dedicated thermal label printer is much cheaper costwise over the long run. Thermal transfer printers never need toner/ink, roll labels are dirt cheap or even free (from FedEx) and they practically never break or jam.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

leejp - for low, to medium volume, I decided to stick with sheet label that I buy here on ebay - my cost per label (including toner) is about $.05 - note, this is only when I buy the labels in bulk here.  The next best price I had was from uline, and they were $.13 per label.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Blank-Plain-Shipping-Labels-8-5x5-5-2-per-page-1000-Sheets-Self-Adhesiv...

http://stores.ebay.com/Direct-Discount-Inc/8-5-x5-5-Label-/_i.html?_fsub=4022070012&_sid=228371542&_...

I've looked at dedicated thermal printers, and for right now, I can't justify the purchase, but even on a busy day, I only ship 5-6 packages.

If I were to get a thermal, it would be a Zebra, and I'd buy it from hippovariety (http://stores.ebay.com/Hippovariety?_rdc=1)

Hope this helps.

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

othen then international labels,why do you need 4x6?

cost wise i think the Dymo is cheaper.

you can get get labels 2-3¢,maybe cheaper off ebay.

there is no logos on the labels,that's a plus.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

4x6 is the size I see most often for USPS priority.  Since the original post I've found there are other priority sizes as well.  Keep in mind that a dedicated thermal label printer will get many other uses besides printing shipping labels for eBay.  Labeling folders and boxes around the house, printing address labels with postage for holiday cards, etc...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

For all USPS labels, except international, and most all general labels, the smaller Dymo 450 and Twin 450, works great for up to a 2 5/16" wide label. 

For up to 4" wide, like a 4"x6" label look at the Dymo 4XL, which will print all USPS, UPS, and FedEx labels, as well as all the smaller width labels.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Where do you get your labels? I cannot find one per sheet 5.5 x 8. I'd like to use the bottom for a receipt also. thanks!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

lucyslocker15.....................this board is about thermal label printers using special rolls of labels.  What you want are the half sheet labels for laser/inkjet.  Regardless, all types of labels are available right here on ebay.  Search for half sheet labels.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

When my Zebra printer died, I looked at all the options and bought a Brother QL-700.  Labels I usually buy from House Labels here on eBay.  Much cheaper than buying Dymo labels, although I think House Labels has labels that will work with the Dymo printers now, too.  At one time you HAD to use Dymo labels with their printers. 

Back to the Brother printer I picked up, you can find them new for around 50 dollars, they're pretty inexpensive, and I've printed a LOT of labels with mine, and no issues so far.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply