cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing "0" Feedback people from bidding...

I thought I remember that in the past, I had changed a setting that prevented people with lower than a certain feedback score from bidding on my items. I wonder if that's still in effect.

I just had an item sell for about twice the price that other people are selling it for. The item was bid up by two people from Canada (item is in US) who have a total combined Feedback score of "3". One of them has had an account since 2006 and never bought anything.

Of course, being that I want to get this out by Christmas (it's NIB, so very giftable), my options are limited. Of course, the item still hasn't been paid for by the winner. Technically, I have to wait for the winning bidder, but my gut tells me it's not a real bid. If I make a second chance offer to the last "legitimate" offer, and the winning bidder then pays later, I'm at fault.

Any suggestions? And how can I prevent this from happening again?

Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

There is a 3rd option, list as fixed price with Immediate Payment Required.

Then non-pays go away completely, regardless of their feedback number.

Message 76 of 120
latest reply

which is why when you start on ebay you should by inexpensive items.. I will never trust a zero trying to buy my $400 plus items... Scammers.

Message 77 of 120
latest reply

didn't you start at zero ?

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 78 of 120
latest reply

@retrojordanguy wrote:

which is why when you start on ebay you should by inexpensive items.. I will never trust a zero trying to buy my $400 plus items... Scammers.

Morning Retro and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

This one I agree with. While I'm sure it happens, a NewBee finds the item they've been looking for at a great price then opens an account and buys, there should be some kind of seller protection from brand new accounts that haven't a clue how eBay works that buy then have buyers remorse or filing a SNAD cause they didn't read the description. Other opinions vary.

Wishing you continued success this New Year, Happy Holidays!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 79 of 120
latest reply

... would you trust a zero FB Seller,

who had listed that same $400 item? 

Message 80 of 120
latest reply

Everyone here on Ebay started with 0 feedbacks at one point or another and wether buying or selling you got to get feedback #1 someway, even you criticalmass. You will always have an Ebay member here or there with low feedback that will cause an issue, but is it really worth trying to block everyone with 0 or 1 feedback. I had over 50, 000 feedbacks back in the day and rarely had a problem with a member with 0 or low feedback. If someone with 0 feedbacks bids, buys, and pays for an item I just assume sell to them the same as someone with 1000 feedbacks.
Message 81 of 120
latest reply

@bronx-dog wrote:

... would you trust a zero FB Seller,

who had listed that same $400 item? 

yup,and have. got the most beautiful sets of pearls,black and conch,with matching earrings,456 total for both sets.

they were authenticated and appraised for over a 1000. that seller COULD have decided not to sell,but she honored the sale. my return for her honesty was continuing to buy from her for 9 years,and recommending her.

she passed away last year,unfortunately.

Message 82 of 120
latest reply

Sin, thank you for making my point. I have had great experiences with

Zero rated Buyers and Sellers alike. I have also had lousy experiences

with pita Buyers and Sellers, who have had very high FB ratings.

Message 83 of 120
latest reply

I've had success selling to 0 feedback profiles.... BUT.... Most of the non-paying bidders I've dealt with were also 0 feedback. I find it particularly suspicious when I'm getting multiple 0 feedbackers bidding and all of them started their accounts the same day they placed their bids. I mean every bidder having 0 feedback. You know it could be coincidence, but what are the odds? The last time this happened, it was, as I suspected it would be, a non-paying bidder.... which amounts to sabotage.

Message 84 of 120
latest reply

gdanzig1-- what do you think that means when you get multiple bidders with zero feedback? I have been trying to sell a pair of sneakers for weeks now. Every time I list them I get all new accnt 0 feedback bidders. They bid these sneakers up to $1000 the last time (with the second highest bidder at 999.99). The buy it now on them is $150!!! I don't understand why this keeps happening....I have been listing for years and this is a first for me!! I have "sold" these sneakers about 4 times now and no one ever pays!! I am ready to scream!! Any insight?

Message 85 of 120
latest reply

Could be sport bidders playing a game.

I mean, it's just a pair of worn shoes...... who bids 999.....and who runs up the bid , by hundreds....to top it at 1009  ?

Kids playing a game !!

Has your son been getting any ribbing from any of his pals ?

( just a thought..)

Message 86 of 120
latest reply

I side with limiting bidders. Regardless of experiences with newer bidders, it IS suspicious when someone creates a profile on the very same day they bid on an item, especially when the profile name appears as an auto generated random set of numbers and letters.
Too many times people will generate a random ID because they like to play the bidding game, are trying to manipulate the pricing because they are competing sellers, have a grudge, or possibly even make bids without having funds, knowing they will not be at a loss through negative feedback.
What Ebay can do to thwart these practices is to limit peoples' ability to bid until AFTER they have set up and verified their banking accounts and ability to PAY. As it stands now, bids can be made by anyone who creates a simple ID, and when a claim is made for non-payment, then there is no way to hold them to the contract to complete the purchase when they have not establised the financial side.

Making new members answerable financially from the get-go would solve this "annonymous" abuse of bidding priviledges.
Message 87 of 120
latest reply

I've gone two ways with this.  If the item bid on is not that much money (under $100) the Zero Feedback bidder must contact me within 12 hours of their bid.  If no contact, then their bid is cancelled and they are banned.  Sorry, tough world out there,  If the item is above $100 I ask that the Zero Feedback bidder place a refundable $25 deposit into my Paypal account for assurance.  If they win the auction it counts as part of their payment, if not..... I refund it.  If they mess up my auction and don't pay.... I keep the money to cover fees, and wasted time. It's really that simple in my book.  Either your genuine or your not, there is no gray area.

Message 88 of 120
latest reply

@e-doggy wrote:

I've gone two ways with this.  If the item bid on is not that much money (under $100) the Zero Feedback bidder must contact me within 12 hours of their bid.  If no contact, then their bid is cancelled and they are banned.  Sorry, tough world out there,  If the item is above $100 I ask that the Zero Feedback bidder place a refundable $25 deposit into my Paypal account for assurance.  If they win the auction it counts as part of their payment, if not..... I refund it.  If they mess up my auction and don't pay.... I keep the money to cover fees, and wasted time. It's really that simple in my book.  Either your genuine or your not, there is no gray area.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=e-doggy&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

So you're tellin' me you insist on a 10% non-refundable deposit and they pay?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 89 of 120
latest reply

25% in a descending scale...

Message 90 of 120
latest reply