cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing "0" Feedback people from bidding...

I thought I remember that in the past, I had changed a setting that prevented people with lower than a certain feedback score from bidding on my items. I wonder if that's still in effect.

I just had an item sell for about twice the price that other people are selling it for. The item was bid up by two people from Canada (item is in US) who have a total combined Feedback score of "3". One of them has had an account since 2006 and never bought anything.

Of course, being that I want to get this out by Christmas (it's NIB, so very giftable), my options are limited. Of course, the item still hasn't been paid for by the winner. Technically, I have to wait for the winning bidder, but my gut tells me it's not a real bid. If I make a second chance offer to the last "legitimate" offer, and the winning bidder then pays later, I'm at fault.

Any suggestions? And how can I prevent this from happening again?

Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Personally I think they should make everyone take a online test before they are allowed to buy or sell. 100 questions and they have to score 75%. I'm including people with as many feedbacks as I have or more and myself as well. No one gets grandfathered in.

How to communicate with others. You know like asking questions prior to committing to bid/buy. Just had someone with a 1200+ FB act like a clown.

If you fail you have to wait a week or pay a $5 fine to take the test over again.

Message 16 of 120
latest reply

lol,  a test might be good, too many seem to not understand how to sell or how to buy.  I can't count how many times I was the winning bidder on an item and had the seller (a newbie generally but have had some oldies) refuse to sell for the price I won at.   And I have had both newbies and ones with decent feedback totals not to pay.  I have come to the conclusion it is what it is , if they pay great I will ship, if they don't well then I will relist and wait for a buyer who pays to come along.

Message 17 of 120
latest reply

Feedback doesn't always paint the full picture......

I currently have a winning bidder, 6 total feedback, 5 positive in the last month.

Now, based on that, one would think this would be a smooth transaction.

However.......

This individual is about 20 hours away from the UIA kicking in.

Either they are going to pay, or they aren't.

Message 18 of 120
latest reply

Frankly oldies and newbies behave like turds because of the one way feedback system. We need equally. Too many people pull stuff if they think they can get away.

Shakes head... The guy with 1200+ that decided to stiff me had things listed. His excuse is that he thought I would do free additional shipping, or should.

He does it, so why can't I? It could be because he sells solely trading cards that weighs about a 1/2 ounce inside of a toploader, and the things I sell can weigh and few ounces or a few pounds. A lot of my items are based on real weight, and could be shipped for a stamp.

Combine shipping does NOT mean free additional. I'm NOT bloody wal-mart, k-mart, target, or amazon!!!

He's totally BBL. Let him look around for a better price. I've looked and there ain't.

Message 19 of 120
latest reply

.." He does it, so why can't I? "

because then you'd be like him....

and you're not !

RIGHT ?

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 20 of 120
latest reply

Someone and I am sorry but I am too lazy to go back and see who it was said they cancel bids on newbies and block them and if they don't ask why they figure they are scammers?  

I was blocked from bidding on an item when I started this account,  I did not email that seller to ask for permission to bid on their item,  I simply decided if they didn't want to sell to me I didn't want to buy from them.    As far as bidders who have set up the account but never bought for years,  well could be they opened the account to bid and a) didn't win  b) won but the seller didn't give them feedback  c) opend the account but didn't see anything they wanted and since their lives don't revolve around ebay didn't come back until they were looking for something they a) couldnt find locally b) hoped to find a bargain on ebay for the item 

Back when I started on ebay , as most of us generally start out as buyers and then decide we have some junk sitting around that perhaps we can make some money on and start selling.  When I started out on ebay as a buyer , I didn't get on ebay everyday or every week or every month even  I went over 2 yrs without getting on ebay between purchases before.    As sellers our lives revolve around listing and selling, as buyers their lives do not revolve around whats on ebay.   It kinda goes along with every site out there,  I have bought items on other sites that I have not even looked at in years, but I might at some point in time.  I wish I could remember the site that I purchased some jewelry on a few years back, it was in the line of these kinds of sites but I can not for the life of me remember the name of that site, if I think of it I will go back and shop, but its probably been 5 or 6 yrs ago since I last even looked at that site.

Message 21 of 120
latest reply

Wow, too many people to comment on individually.

What "stinks" about the whole transaction was... I research my item and expect to get $30-$40 US for the item, because that's what other people are getting. It sits at $33 for the longest time, and then in come two bidders from outside the US who bid it up to $68.

My concern at the time was, by the time I find out that the winning bidder, and MAYBE even the second bidder stiffed me, it would not only be too late to deliver by Christmas, but by then, the last "legitimate" bidder would no longer be interested. I thought my chances would be better if I eliminated the "newbie" / "hacked" accounts.

To my suprise, the WB not only paid, but also paid the high international shipping for a total of close to $100. Surely, it could have been gotten cheaper, but who am I to argue?

I wound up refunding the original payment, explained the deal about the Confirmed Shipping address, and sent another invoice. He paid again, this time with the new address he wants it shipped to. Paypal says it's "Confirmed" and Seller Protection is "Eligible", so I can only send it and count my blessings. This one (so far) has a happy ending.

Message 22 of 120
latest reply

Well then , so far so good !!

We all like HAPPY ENDING !!!

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 23 of 120
latest reply

Why would you even want to block people with zero feedback from bidding? Everyone starts somewhere, right? At one point everyone had zero feedback. I'm new to ebay and think it's kind of unfair that people like me could get declined from bidding when I will pay what I bid for. Give people the benefit of the doubt. And have a great day. 🙂

Message 24 of 120
latest reply

I personally do not have any issues with low feedback or 0 feedback buyers. We all started at 0 & I just looked in the last 30 days I have had 11 UPI cases opened & of those 4 did not pay at all. Out of those 11 - over 3/4 had fairly high feedback. I have one that will be opening at anytime (waiting for it to kick in) she has 300+ feedback and is seller. The kicker for me is she has bought and paid for several items since she bought my item ($5.99 w/ free shipping).

I do not worry about anyone unless they do not pay! 🙂

Betsy

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
Message 25 of 120
latest reply

No, the seller protection policy requires the seller to ship to the address that was attached to the payment at the time that the payment was made. There isn't even any way for a seller to be sure that some other address was actually added to another member's account.

Yup, left out a critical portion of the process BG.

After the buyer adds the address to their PayPal account the seller must cancel the transaction, refund the buyer, and invoice again so the correct address is in the payment made.

Sorry 'bout that.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 26 of 120
latest reply

Whenever I get a 0 FB newbie, I wonder if the UIA is gonna have to kick in or not. I would not block them if it was an option, though. We all had to start at zero.

The ones I don't like are old accounts where it looks like there has been no acitivity for years. But again, for all I know, they could have still been buying all along, and just gotten sellers that don't leave FB.

In other words, most of my non-paying bidders have been from old accounts!  Which surprised me.

Message 27 of 120
latest reply

I don't care if a buyer's feedback is 0, 200, or 2000......

as long as they pay

Message 28 of 120
latest reply

9 out of 10 bidders with 0 feedback never pay for the item.  I dont understand people are suprised that sellers block these bidders.

Message 29 of 120
latest reply

To me the problem with 0 feeback bidders, is that it could seem to legit bidders that someone is just bidding up items with no intent to pay, thereby hurting the sellers chances of selling the item for a good price.

I wish i could block them for certain high dollar items.

Message 30 of 120
latest reply