cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing "0" Feedback people from bidding...

I thought I remember that in the past, I had changed a setting that prevented people with lower than a certain feedback score from bidding on my items. I wonder if that's still in effect.

I just had an item sell for about twice the price that other people are selling it for. The item was bid up by two people from Canada (item is in US) who have a total combined Feedback score of "3". One of them has had an account since 2006 and never bought anything.

Of course, being that I want to get this out by Christmas (it's NIB, so very giftable), my options are limited. Of course, the item still hasn't been paid for by the winner. Technically, I have to wait for the winning bidder, but my gut tells me it's not a real bid. If I make a second chance offer to the last "legitimate" offer, and the winning bidder then pays later, I'm at fault.

Any suggestions? And how can I prevent this from happening again?

Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

hi,youll just have to wait 4 days than open a UID.

but there is no way to keep 0 fdbk bidders from bidding..you can set it up to prevent people with - fdbk or someone with multiple unpaid item strikes from bidding but thats about it.

Message 2 of 120
latest reply

68kane
Enthusiast

If I have some '0' feedback people bidding on my stuff with plenty of time left, I go ahead and block them.

If they message me back asking why they can't bid on my items, I then look at their time on Ebay. If they JUST joined after I listed this item, I keep the ban in place. If they've been here for years, I will most likely remove them from my BBL.

Most of the ones I ban that join after I started the listing, NEVER contact me making me think I stopped a scammer (or perhaps they don't know how to mesage).

Message 3 of 120
latest reply

Every year more and more people come to the internet to do their shopping , and of those many find eBay .

They all start at ZERO feedback, the way we all did .

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 4 of 120
latest reply

I've sold to many 0 feedback people during the past month with much success.  I too was a little leary, but I've only had 1 problem and probably 20+ successful transactions.  I agree, folks are doing searches which are leading them to your auction.  I'm finding the folks with the 0 are paying faster than the folks with 100s and 1000s of feedback.  Every case I've openned this holiday season has involved a multiple feedback person and not a single 0 feedback person.  I wouldn't judge too quickly.

Message 5 of 120
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

Hi criticalmass2 :-), take a wild guess what your FB Score prior to 15:01 on June 16/99...

As stated above, we all start at zero.

Message 6 of 120
latest reply

I only retract bids from bidders with 0 feedback if they have been on eBay for some time. I have always been baffled by 0 feedback members that have had an account for over a year and havent purchased anything? Makes no sense to me and quite honestly is suspicious.......(PayPal or bank excuses is the norm)

If it is a "true newbie"(new member icon) I welcome them and treat them the same as all members........great! I like the fact that I am confident that their first transaction will be a good experience & usually leads to a frequent customer.

As the others have stated we were all 0 at one time....however in all my accounts I built my feedback trust immediately. There are new members daily & more new members = more profit for me;-)

Message 7 of 120
latest reply

I'm with you. A member of Ebay for 5 years and NO transactions sounds VERY fishy.

HOWEVER,

The update is, believe it or not, the winning bidder paid! The only problem now is that after paying, the WB is asking me to ship it to a different address (also in Canada) since it's a gift. I politely informed the WB that I had to ship to the Paypal shipping address, or else I can refund the money. I'm now waiting for a response.

Although it was paid for, the whole thing just stinks, and being that the Ebay rules are bent towards protecting the buyer, I'm in full "CYA" mode if you know what I mean.

Message 8 of 120
latest reply

habitforminghobbies
Enthusiast

I don't understand why anyone would block a new bidder from bidding?

When I first started bidding on eBay I was very intimidated.  Especially  when sellers required new bidders to ask permission to bid - wasn't going to happen with me.  Those sellers lost out on an aggressive bidder, and a potential sale.

Yes, everyone starts with 0 and deserves a chance to prove themselves.

Message 9 of 120
latest reply

Hey Crit , I don't see what stinks ?

Given the time of year and a new member who doesn't know all the ins and outs of ebay, asking to ship a gift to a different address , seems a harmless request.

Not that you should do it.....but nicely explaining why you can't do it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Communication is the key to a good transaction !

Message 10 of 120
latest reply

The only problem now is that after paying, the WB is asking me to ship it to a different address (also in Canada) since it's a gift.

Ask the buyer to "Add" the name and address to their PayPal account. That will CYA.;-)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 11 of 120
latest reply

Ask the buyer to "Add" the name and address to their PayPal account. That will CYA.;-)

No, the seller protection policy requires the seller to ship to the address that was attached to the payment at the time that the payment was made. There isn't even any way for a seller to be sure that some other address was actually added to another member's account.

Message 12 of 120
latest reply

Long time back I mentioned a friend who was worried when she got a bid from a guy with a lot of really great fb, but he was in jail...  she shipped the item, got good fb from him, every now and then he orders something else, pays, no problem.  and his fb score keeps growing.  You never know!!

I don't worry about zero feedback.  Flattered that a first time buyer would choose me for their initial purchase.  Think positive.

Message 13 of 120
latest reply

Great story Lynne !!!

& with a pos outlook too !!!!

Message 14 of 120
latest reply

No clue why you would want to keep a buyer from buying.  Everyone starts out at 0 feedbacks,  most of the 0 feedback people I have sold to have paid.   I have had just as many with feedbacks over 10 not to pay as I have had that had 0 feedbacks.  My personal motto is everyone has the chance to prove themselves one way or another.  them who don't pay don't get a second chance.  Whats that saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" 

Message 15 of 120
latest reply