cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfume on Clothing

I have found beautiful, brand name items of used clothing over the years I buy for for work, high quality blouses from big name manufacturers for great prices.  I try to get NWT when I can. 

The last 4-5 items I purchased REEKED of this cheap perfume smell when opening them....took 2 washings to barely remove it!  I'm not talking a light fresh scent, but heavy, distinctive, overpowering perfume...and what is weird is the same smell comes from different parts of the country!

Seriously, is there some brand of Freebreeze called, "Nasty Perfume?"  It's really bizarre!  There is never any mention of this STRONG perfume smell in the listings, either....It makes it really hard for me to leave good Feedback, when I almost gag opening the package and the first huge whiff comes out!

These items are always spotlessly clean, in almost new condition, too.  Not a speck of dirt, dust or anything.  Beautiful quality!  I just cannot believe different sellers are using the same nasty, heavy perfume?  Or is there some new scented spray they are all using on the items??

I'm not a overly senstive smell type person, either....I'm talking REEKS of cheap perfume that knocks you over! 

I'm forced to stop buying items because of this.  I feel as if I should email the seller first before bidding, to ask, "Is this item covered in perfume?"  This is NOT a Freebreeze type smell. It's a mixture of Vapo-Rub doused with heavy perfume...could it be moth balls?  Is there a neutralizer for that?

I just opened a gorgeous soutache and pearl trimmed ivory blouse by Kathy Chi, I would guess cost at least $50 when new.  The same smell was so strong, I'm on the third washing right now.

It takes 2-3 washings to get the stink level from obnoxious to almost gone....It seems the sellers saturate the beautiful clothing!

Anyone else notice this?

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Perfume on Clothing

.Me & da boyz like it, hides da smoke, alky & beer oders.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

Did you read the feedback given to any of these sellers to see if anyone else has complained about the smell.

The same smell from different areas, is a clue that the same product is being used to ...maybe hide a tobacco scent.

The clothing board may have a post or two regarding this type of camoflage , seeing as it's coming to you from all across the country.

And yes...you could be more sensitive to this kind of smell, than say...others.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

You aren't buying from this seller.......are you ?? :^O

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

Try scent elimination products like those used by hunters. These products are used to wash clothing and remove odors. The products, like Scent Killer from Wildlife Research Center, are found at sporting good and outdoor suppliers.

Stores like Wal-Mart carry the products seasonally. The scent eliminators come as sprays, clothing washes and dryer sheets.

Swamp might have a few hints on the subject.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

My chief suspect is Bounce dryer sheets. 

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

Honda and Komo, best laugh I've had all week! Those guys kinda remind me of what I see shooting videos in nightclubs in California....yikes!

BostonG, I used Bounce dryer sheets to get rid of the skunk spray when my dog tangled with one and brought it in the garage!  That was the worst thing I ever smelled!

I've determined it's mothballs, which are carcinogens....lovely.  The smell can be neutralized with a white vinegar soak and re-wash....if it doesn't kill me first!

I was beginning to think there was a new Febreeze out called "Old Mothballs." 

(BTW, I just turned 59, so I'm feeling old as dirt myself...)

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

Mothballs.....ewww !!

That's gross.....but certainly worse...for the boy moth !!!!

Heeheehee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :^O

Ummmm, Happy Birthday Dpk !!!

( but 1953....shouldn't you be 60 ???)

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

Mothballs just evaporate -- that's how they work -- so a good airing-out in the garage is probably  all you need. There are two versions (naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene) and the latter is more common and less likely to be a carcinogen.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

it would be worse if they reeked of nasty cigarette smoke..]:)

I only work so I can Hunt
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

I'm amazed to see buyers in the US and UK complaing about the same thing--Ebay clothing that smells so powerfully it made them sick.  This is what happened to me today.  I opened a blouse that I purchased this morning, thought it smelled too much of Fabreeze or something and hung it up to air out.  When I returned home, I took a whiff of the item and it gave off an even stronger odor than when I first unwrapped it.  And, yes, it made me feel bad even though I neither smelled it or handled it for very long.  It even put a bad taste in my mouth and I can't it rid of it.  It doesn't really smell like perfume but something worse.  Also strange was the reaction of the seller when I asked her what she had used on the item.  She claimed she hadn't sprayed the top with anything--just "had it laundered".  The whole transaction cost about 15 dollars with shipping!  How does someone advertise an item as "new" and never worn, sell it for about 11 bucks and "have it laundered" and still make a profit?  I think this person just didn't want to tell me what she used on this top.  When I wrote back saying I didn't believe her and that she should just come clean and explain why the item smelled so strongly of chemical something, she said she didn't care if she made a profit or not and would refund my money.  Something is not right here.  Why would the seller [who claims to be a new one on Ebay] rather refund my money than disclose the reason for the top's overwhelming smell?  One wash did not do the trick and it is now going through another one.  I find this really scary.  I am allergic to Fabreeze and it makes me cough--but it never made me feel this ill!  And I doubt any professional laundry service would cause clothing to smell like this or they would be out of business in short order. 

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

whoodathunk2
Thrill-Seeker

I often buy clothing for the kids and it comes with a VERY strong perfume type smell that I finally narrowed down to snuggle and/or bounce.  On occasion, I've had a bounce/snuggle sheet packed in the clothing.  I'm hyper sensitive to smells, so I never make a big deal about it.  I figure that I'm planning on washing the item anyway, so it's not a big deal.  

If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing it's stupid.
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

After the second washing, the top still smells.  Although it is very pretty, I am throwing it away.  It was made in China and I came across a very disturbing online article about children's clothing from China containing dangerous levels of formeldehyde and other toxic substances.  The thing is, people are reporting getting clothes that smell so bad washing can't get it out from different Ebay sellers. I have never brought home anything from the store that smelled so overpowering--and no, it doesn't smell like Bounce--which would come out in one washing, anyway.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

You could soak it in white vinegar in the sink or a bucket. That can get rid of a lot of smells. When we lived in New England, I didn't realize the humidity there wouldn't allow a load of laundry to set overnight without getting a funky moldy smell. Vinegar saved the day on quite a few washerfuls!  When you wash it again the vinegar smell disappears.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Perfume on Clothing

Thanks but I have no interest in keeping the top.  I have sealed it in a plastic bag and will throw it away pending on how much more ill I may get as a result.  I am still concerned about what it had been saturated with and if that constitutes a biohazard. It did not really smell of perfume but some sweetish chemical that actually gave off fumes because I could taste them and they left a burning feeling in my lungs and throat.  And, to top it off, the seller had the gall to report me to Ebay because I wrote her that I didn't believe the odor was from the laundry and gave her a negative review.  After that Ebay sent me a threatening email.  Screw that.  I have been doing business on Ebay for years and have never had any trouble with anybody before.

It even occurred to me that the seller might have bugs and doused the item with a pesticide. 

Message 15 of 37
latest reply