cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

He should try the fee calculator I posted a link to....I'm not sure he even saw it.
Message 76 of 356
latest reply

He should try the fee calculator I posted a link to....I'm not sure he even saw it.

Based on his reply, I doubt it. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink if he's dead.
Message 77 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast

"21% was not a bogus number buddy". - that's an acknowledgment that the horse is dead?

OP has no idea what his fees are. Maybe he'd make better decisions if he did know.

The OP's 'Buddy' comment was post #56. Perhaps you didn't notice the intervening posts. Take a look at post #69.

"Sorry to all for being a jerk, you all are trying to help...laid-off, trying to make money, and venting like crazy."

That was from earlier today. The OP apologized and laid open his underbelly, for chrissake. What do you want from the man, Doc, an ounce of blood or a pound of flesh? Or do you need to hear a personal apology specifically addressed to you and referencing "21%"? Here...take an ounce of my blood if that makes you feel better!

The horse is dead! Let it go! It's time to show a little compassion.
Photobucket
Message 78 of 356
latest reply

Sorry to all for being a jerk, you all are trying to help...laid-off, trying to make money, and venting like crazy.

Well we can all understand venting when it comes to eBay & PayPal! I tried to address your sewing machine issue, http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Part-Time-Ebay/About-Done-With/520176086# if you haven't seen it.

Oh, I hope you like JohnnyMac or JM for your moniker.... Seems fitting and TheMadHatter pinned it on your lapel...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 79 of 356
latest reply

The OP's 'Buddy' comment was post #56. Perhaps you didn't notice the intervening posts. Take a look at post #69.

"Sorry to all for being a jerk, you all are trying to help...laid-off, trying to make money, and venting like crazy."

He's trying to make money; he doesn't know what his fees are; he can't even determine if it's worth his time to sell here. Trying to show him how to figure it out is taking a pound of flesh?

I was laid off for five months this year. If somebody helped me work through an error like this, I'd be happy.
Message 80 of 356
latest reply

"He's trying to make money; he doesn't know what his fees are; he can't even determine if it's worth his time to sell here."

Some of us fly by the seat of ur pants Doc! 1 of my favorite lines is, "When all else fails read the instructions."
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 81 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
Had a buyer offer me 35 bucks for a very nice snowmobile suit after i pulled the listing due to an error. I replied and said no because the suit is worth 4 times that amount.
to be curious i looked him up on our favorite link and almost fell over! there were so many red donuts it looked like my monitor had acne!

BLOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 82 of 356
latest reply

I was laid off for five months this year.

I've been laid-off for 18 months, and I am alittle peeved.

Excuse me... I ain't laid-off...
Laid-off implies that they might hire me back again!
But why would they hire-back an experienced former employee?
He might want his $16.88/hr again... Or at least $12.
We can hire a desperate stranger for $8.40/hr! [Oregon minimum wage]
Better yet, hire TWO desperate part-timers! That way you avoid any overtime.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 83 of 356
latest reply

redchallenger1
Enthusiast
All I can to say to everyone is I wanted to start selling last year and found the eBay rates outlandish and tried 3 other "eBay alternative sites" along with my local CraigsList. Folks let me tell you I came back to eBay on labor day 2009 and haven't looked back. Yes 21% may look bad but the alternatives I have here locally are to open an booth at an antiques mall that charges $35 month and then 20% at time of sale or I can set up at the weekend flea market get up and load my truck up at 4am - sit at a flea market and hope I can get the proces I'm asking for and pay $15 for 1 table for the day. Alternative sites I tried last year were a joke --- you wanna talk about scammers? I ran into every possible scam you could think of on other sites. I sell a lot of my items as a store or with a starting bid of $5 or $9.99 and to pocket 80% of it really is worth it for me. It's more than I made first eight months of last year trying to "beat the system" with fees.
Message 84 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
I make really good money on ebay also. i do not approve with about 99% of there policies but i take the good with the bad. more good actually!
the thing that i found is 99.9% of buyers on ebay are really great honest people. its the other .1 % that can really get on your nerves.
sometimes that .1% outweighs all the good till you get over it and move on.
Message 85 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast

He's trying to make money; he doesn't know what his fees are; he can't even determine if it's worth his time to sell here. Trying to show him how to figure it out is taking a pound of flesh?

I was laid off for five months this year. If somebody helped me work through an error like this, I'd be happy.

This thread reminded me of a 3 act play. In the 1st act, our protagonist ranted indiscriminately and got dumped on…justifiably so IMO, and I did my share. I personally have a problem with negativity for negativity’s sake. There was a distinct change, marking the 2nd act, when he brought up the articles about ebay 2010 and the tenor of the posts changed from dumping to helping. And of course, the final act started with his post this morning…the resolution, as it were…”All is forgiven…” as I told him.

The only constant in all this, at least as I see it, was your relentless pounding on 21% fees, irregardless of the OP’s changes in perception of his situation. He said he was venting…maybe he just needed some time to think it through.

Think about this, Doc…you may be one of those rare people who are happy learning by having his knuckles smacked with a ruler, but most people don’t respond that way. They’re apt to retrench and lash out, usually forfeiting any gains they’ve made.

In three of my former lives, I worked retail sales in a high-end clothing store, as a performer, and I taught a bit as well. One of the things I learned from the overlap of the three was to recognize the dynamics of the situation…how is my public responding to me, be it customers, audience or students? Do I need to change on the fly to get better results?

And closely tied to this is one’s sense of performance. Are you more likely to remember Mick Jagger, strutting and dancing, and singing ‘Satisfaction’ or getting the multiplication tables correct after being smacked on the knuckles by your second grade teacher? How do I get my idea across (in this case, the fee structure)? Will it be understood? Will it be absorbed? It’s all in the performance. Most likely, the only thing remembered about the multiplication tables is the sore knuckles and resentment for the one weilding the ruler.

By the way, it’s good you’re back working. I just pray OMA is right behind you.
Photobucket
Message 86 of 356
latest reply

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.

I don't think it's worth it but I'm neck deep in inventory for the next year and need to unload it. I'll keep paying their ridiculous fees and basically giving away ladies clothing and shoes to the lowest bidder until I can unload all this crap. And then I'm done.
Message 87 of 356
latest reply

darksolace
Enthusiast
Wow the topic starter isn't even whining. Chill.

Anyway to TS: Yeah Ebay fees are high, but like everyone said - Ebay has the most traffic and most popular. Sure the fees are hefty, but the odds of selling the item ae higher I suppose 😃
Message 88 of 356
latest reply

kris*scloset619
Enthusiast
Sorry to all for being a jerk, you all are trying to help...laid-off, trying to make money, and venting like crazy.

You aren't alone my friend!

I started selling here after my second pay cut. Started selling more after being laid off. I'm now working as an independent contractor plus the ebay thing.

Nice to know I can make a living without being an "employee"
No Bad Days Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 89 of 356
latest reply

hhingston
Enthusiast
Well, I rarely sell on Ebay anymore...it was a hassle BEFORE they forced you to accept Paypal..and now Paypal is forcing you to use their credit cards only for payment. I'm so far out of touch with Ebay that I'm just now finding that out. So for the self-righteous butthole who states why waste your time whining and also the blather about store front costs
a: this is a discussion board and the only place TO whine about part time selling costs
b. Ebay used to be friendly to all people, like people who just had some stuff in their attic to get rid of, not just people who were running a part time business. In fact in the beginning that's all it was. So saying a store front would be more expensive is a bit stupid considering this is or was mainly an AUCTION site.

So, yea, there are other places and I am actively seeking them out.
They may not be well known YET, but if Ebay keeps actively seeking to screw the people who made them, there's always room for an upstart.
Just look at the post office.
Message 90 of 356
latest reply