cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
Why are we fighting and what for?
Message 136 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
I thought this was a discussion board, not a "I'm the mad hatter know it all forum". Just one more thing I've learned to dislike about fleabay. Sorry I offended you. Forgive me! I have only been working every day now for over 40 years. By-the-way, why are you so quick to be a smarta@#? Ebay is making MILLIONS of dollars. Do you think they give a rats a@# about you?! Stick to discussions, not wise cracks. You don't know me! Why do you hide behind a (0) identity anyway? Looks to me like you have no feedback, so what's up with that? Are you just here to defend ebay? I am just a concerned user here.

One thing you gotta understand, Sweets…when I first visited this board, I was impressed with the time devoted by the posters to share their knowledge, the support they gave those who needed it, and the respect they showed to anyone who needed help or advice. These are people with a wide variety of experience, from a few months to many years, and whose markets are equally diverse. I treasure that.

Can I be a smart ass? Absolutely! Over the top? At times. Know it all? Hardly. I do know that the people who visit this board, part timers, have the opportunity to make a nice piece of change and run a profitable business. Some either have or are in the process of changing from part time to full time. We’ve all learned to work within and adapt to the changes of the ebay environment. The common thread among all of us is to be positive. Again, can I be a smart ass? Yes! And I will come down like a ton of bricks on anyone I perceive as being unnecessarily negative!

Your first post was to someone in the midst of unexpected emotional and financial turmoil, asking for help in how to start listing. Your response was:

“Have a carport sale! Between ebay, and paypal fees, and people selling stuff for little to nothing, you will come out a lot better than selling here!!! We need a new place to do this, as ebay is more, and more becoming a rip off.”

In my opinion, that’s not the help or support this person needed to hear. Then you proceeded to belittle someone else for netting $800 on $1000 in sales followed by your own of example of it not being “worth MY time” to net $500 on $1000 in sales. People would kill for returns like that. Perhaps you’re just venting. But perhaps it’s a trend for your future postings. If it is, sorry, Sweets, I can’t tolerate that…it’s abject negativity.

You needn’t worry about offending me. I’m Polish…I don’t know what it means to be offended. Are you forgiven? Sure! You’re right…this is a discussion board. So let’s discuss and not continuously air the same tired rant. If you have a specific issue, bring to the table…someone undoubtedly will have experience with it and can help you work through it. At the very least, you’ll get support.

You say you are a concerned user. If you are, then you’ll contribute, and not use this board as your personal target range. So, whadya say, Sweets? Deal?
Photobucket
Message 137 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
Why are we fighting and what for?

I, personally, have a problem with continued negativity. I don't think that's what this board is about.
Photobucket
Message 138 of 356
latest reply

This was my first, and undoubtly my last, visit to these boards. I offered an opinion and was treated like a long time complainer. I still think for quick cash, a carport sale would be a faster way to go. I get teed off when I lose money on a sale, like most would. I see fees going up, and my profits going down. I am a small time ebayer, that is all I have time for. My time is valuable, as I work for a living. If you can't voice an opinion here, then I will just stay away, as I have for many years now. I saw the post, and offered an opinion. I hold no hard feelings toward anyone I don't know, but I don't think anyone should make smart remarks from left field either. I see this stuff all over the internet and I stay clear. Good luck to everyone here, I think charges will continue to go up, and it will do us no good to complain.
Again, my apologies to all!
Message 139 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
Sweets, if only your tone had been as measured as this last post, you and I never would have butted heads. As far as I'm concerned, the matter is dropped and I'd more than welcome you to contribute in the future.
Photobucket
Message 140 of 356
latest reply

mid="523391537"][quote mid="513595939"]I thought this was a discussion board, not a "I'm the mad hatter know it all forum". Just one more thing I've learned to dislike about fleabay. Sorry I offended you. Forgive me[quote].

Hatter, I agree with you like you said. Sweets, if you spend the time on research as you did on B$tching, you would be better off. I wish I could sell at a flea market that has prices close to eBay. YOU ONLY BUY AT A FLEA MARKET.
Siggy 1
Message 141 of 356
latest reply

I still think for quick cash, a carport sale would be a faster way to go.

But the person you were talking about was just wanting to get rid of stuff around the house....."cleaning out the cupboards and closets". She will get WAY more for certain things on ebay.....like Levis 501 jeans of a certain type....maybe $1 at a garage sale, but $15-$20 on ebay, or even more if they're the right kind! Or if she finds a Corning Ware turkey roasting dish that she's never used, that was given to her by her ex-MIL (hehe).....a dollar or two at a garage sale, but much, much more than that on ebay.

So, even with the fees, seems to me like ebay would be a better avenue for some of her stuff. As kdconway told her in the original post we are referring to, she just needs to do her research and make some different "piles". 🙂
Message 142 of 356
latest reply

Hi SweetSounds.LTD & welcome back to The Part Timers Forum!

Again, my apologies to all!

Apologies accepted! Stop back anytime! Hope I helped!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 143 of 356
latest reply

Forgot.......... BBL!
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 144 of 356
latest reply

Forgot.......... BBL!
Message 145 of 356
latest reply

tourchrome
Enthusiast
It's not worth listing here anymore. It used to be great. All you have left now are flee market freaks no doubt on social security, medicated, nothing better to do. Day dreamers and cat lovers "this forum is spent".
Message 146 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
I need these “meds”, man….it’s too scary without ‘em….very freakin’ scary….HAHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa…..

Do you like lime sherbet….I do….it’s like Tinker Bell’s wings….the color’s so soft….I never thought of that before….a color being soft….can a color be hard?....

There’s Tinker Bell….on the ceiling….no….over there in the corner….she’s turning into a dragonfly….a freakin’ 3-foot long dragonfly…. very freakin’ scary….HAHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa…..but that’s cool….

Want some of my “meds”, man?....you can dream for hours….nothin’ better to do anyway….
Photobucket
Message 147 of 356
latest reply

jillybeans-leotards
Enthusiast
I'm really having difficulty. I have cut my sales down to about 20% of what I used to sell a year ago. I continually get buyers asking me for a different size than what they've won on auction. I can't say no, for fear of the dreaded "less than 5" feedback. How unfair is this? I have also gone to free shipping (which really hurts by the way), but then get buyers who are upset that they didn't receive their items even when delivery confirmation says they did. I ship within 1 day and still get complaints about shipping time. Free shipping and still less than 5 stars on cost of shipping. What is up? Sellers just can't win with this new feedback system, and Ebay is going to lose in the longrun. I used to LOVE Ebay, and now I dread every sale. Will I stay? Probably not much longer.
Message 148 of 356
latest reply

Come on, now, Hatter. You have to go to your room now. Fluffy's there. She's such a nice cat, isn't she? But you have to promise not to hurt her...

Say Chrome...Did you know "spent" was an Elizabethan term for orgasm? Just wondering...
Message 149 of 356
latest reply

I'm really having difficulty. I have cut my sales down to about 20% of what I used to sell a year ago. I continually get buyers asking me for a different size than what they've won on auction. I can't say no, for fear of the dreaded "less than 5" feedback. How unfair is this? I have also gone to free shipping (which really hurts by the way), but then get buyers who are upset that they didn't receive their items even when delivery confirmation says they did. I ship within 1 day and still get complaints about shipping time. Free shipping and still less than 5 stars on cost of shipping. What is up? Sellers just can't win with this new feedback system, and Ebay is going to lose in the longrun. I used to LOVE Ebay, and now I dread every sale. Will I stay? Probably not much longer.

Did you cut your sales to 20% or are they down to 20% from a year ago? I just want to make sure I understand.

Your complaints are getting more and more commonplace every day...that seems to be the state of ebay right now and I'm sure the economy doesn't help matters much. And I'm afraid it's going to stay that way for the immediate future. Buyers don't just want everything now, they expect it, even demand it...and many of them know they can hold that FB hammer over our heads.

I sell collectibles, not clothing, and I can only tell you how I appraoch things with my market. I never offer free shipping...I simply can't afford it and if I include it in the selling price, i"m overpriced.

My New Year's resolution was to only check my FB and DSRs once a month...and so far, I'm sticking to it. Your FB and stars are excellent so you might want to say 'to hell with it'...a neg, neut or 3-star may effect your PS or TRS status (think discounts), but shouldn't effect your sales and loosing some stress may let you concentrate more on what's important....your business.

By the way, if you do decide to leave, I hope you've established yourself on other venues. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Message 150 of 356
latest reply